Anti-War World Peace thread

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2024 03:17 am
1. There have many wars and military conflicts across the globe throughout history.

2. Throughout history there have been a multitude of reasons and causes of these wars and military conflicts.

3. I believe that some of the reasons and causes of these wars and conflicts were religious conflicts, land and territory conflicts, economic conflicts, conflicts over race and ethnicity, or conflicts over natural resources.

4. Ultimately I believe that most people across the globe oppose war, but also are aware that there are times that it may be necessary.

5. We are all aware of current wars and conflicts that are happening now.

6. There is the Russia-Ukraine war, the Israel-Palestine conflict, other conflicts that involves other nations in the middle east, China-Taiwan, North Korea, and any other wars or conflicts across the globe.

7. How do we as a society prevent these conflicts and wars from occurring?

8. How do we as a society prevent future conflicts and wars from occurring?

9. How do we de-escalate or put the genie back into the bottle after conflicts and wars have already started?

10. There are times when some type of deterrent can prevent some wars and conflicts from occurring, because of the consequences.

11. There are times when deterrent fails to prevent conflicts and wars from occurring.

12. I guess if all sides were to seek out solutions where everyone wins or no one loses, that would prevent conflicts and wars. I would like to believe that this is possible. But, that might not be realistic.

13. As I stated above, I believe that most people across the globe opposes war, but are aware that there are times when it is necessary. The biggest reason being self defense.

14. I wish for World Peace, but not sure how that can be achieved.

Real Music

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2024 03:40 am
@Real Music,
Quote:
3. I believe that some of the reasons and causes of these wars and conflicts were religious conflicts, land and territory conflicts, economic conflicts, conflicts over race and ethnicity, or conflicts over natural resources.

I would also add that oppression may also be a reason and cause of wars and conflicts.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2024 04:15 am
@Real Music,
After WW2 a rules based system was set up.

Big powers need to obey those rules.

After 9/11 Bush ripped the rulebook up and it gave powers like Russia and China the green light to ignore international law.

What is needed is a return to rule based system of international law.

The democratic powers on the security council need to start obeying resolutions, and the permanent security council members, The US, UK, Russia, China and France, need to have their vetoes taken from them.
Real Music

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2024 12:59 am
@izzythepush,
1. You made reference to a rules base system that was set up after WW2.

2. I'm not entirely certain to what specific rules based system you are referring to.

3. I think you are referring to the Geneva Convention, or maybe it's something else.

4. Can you elaborate or indicate the rule based system you are referring to?

Real Music

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2024 01:20 am
Quote:
The Geneva Conventions are international humanitarian laws consisting of four treaties and three additional protocols that establish international legal standards for humanitarian treatment in war. The singular term Geneva Convention usually denotes the agreements of 1949, negotiated in the aftermath of the Second World War (1939–1945), which updated the terms of the two 1929 treaties and added two new conventions. The Geneva Conventions extensively define the basic rights of wartime prisoners, civilians and military personnel; establish protections for the wounded and sick; and provide protections for the civilians in and around a war-zone.

The Geneva Conventions define the rights and protections afforded to non-combatants who fulfill the criteria of being protected persons. The treaties of 1949 were ratified, in their entirety or with reservations, by 196 countries. The Geneva Conventions concern only protected non-combatants in war. The use of wartime conventional weapons is addressed by the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907 and the 1980 Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons, while the biological and chemical warfare in international armed conflicts is addressed by the 1925 Geneva Protocol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Conventions
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2024 02:19 am
@Real Music,
I was referring to the UN.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2024 10:12 pm
@izzythepush,
And a Bush Congress during another time of excessive greed didn't slap GWB back. Trump got his act from Bush being given too much of a free of a hand as a "wartime" President. And Trump, of course, also had a predominantly Republican asleep at the wheel Congress.

Fortunately Mango Jebus was an incompetent who surrounded himself with incompetents. It really, really could have been so much worse if a Mike Pence had been President. He's stupid, but he can make a plan and work it, he's smart enough to know a competent staff is a valuable thing.

The next real fight during and after this election is to fire up voters. We need to fix the House and Senate. I think Biden is going to win big and and I hope to the Eternal that Joe Biden brings in a bunch of state races on his coat tails. We need to take state legislatures to break gerrymandering. Some Senators have four more years before facing re-election.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2024 08:15 am
@bobsal u1553115,
How gerrymander works:

Wisconsin Democrats provided 65% of the vote - Republican 35%. The state legislature is 2/3 Republican, 1/3 Democrat. State Legislatures are tasked by the Constitution to apportion districts according to the last census (just another reason to co operate with the Census).
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2024 09:13 am
@Real Music,
How can countries respond more effectively to major acts of terrorism? Both the US response to 9/11 and the Israeli response to the raid by Hamas were largely political, more to protect sitting politicians, make a show of strength, and exact revenge than to really solve the problem. And in both cases the overwhelming military response was disproportionate, destabilizing, and, demonstrably unsuccessful in Afghanistan, I have doubts that the Israeli campaign will be any more successful.

The quality and quantity of available weapons is greater than it has ever been and what might have been a group of ragtag bandits in the past can now operate as lethally as a modern military. The Houthi attacks on Red Sea shipping are a good example.

The UN has been relegated to the position of a "toothless old scold" but I think it has to be part of the solution. I can't see the permanent members relinquishing their power and privilege, though. I get the feeling that war and conflict will persist until humans succeed in making the planet unlivable.
Glennn

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2024 11:12 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I have doubts that the Israeli campaign will be any more successful.

The "campaign" is going swell. I believe they've pushed the Gazans into the last corner available to them. And they have U.S. backing. The U.S. was the lone veto against a resolution to stop the genocide just the other day. Where would they be without them . . . or the bunker-busters joe supplies them with?

Seriously, what more could Israel ask for?
0 Replies