Curious shopper walks off with artificial leg

Reyn

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 11:23 pm
Curious shopper walks off with artificial leg

Tom Alex
The Des Moines Register
Aug. 26, 2005 08:45 AM

DES MOINES, Iowa - An area business may have to foot the bill for an artificial leg that walked out under the weight of a thief.

Police say a man took a $17,000 artificial right leg for a test walk recently and did not return.

Police Sgt. David Murillo said a man went to Spectrum Prosthetics and Orthotics in Des Moines recently to be fitted. A leg was designed and included some special features.

The man returned, put it on and went for a walk. A police report says, "The subject was allowed to take it for a couple hours to ensure that the fit was proper."

Murillo said the man just kept walking.

Spectrum Prosthetics has a cellular telephone number for the man and has called him, said Detective Robert Lewis. But the man is no longer answering the telephone.

The man and the leg disappeared on Aug. 19. A police report shows the leg was reported as stolen on Wednesday. Lewis said the five-day delay in reporting the crime occurred because the business owners thought the man would come back. As the days went by, that looked less and less likely, Lewis said.

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 259 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 09:54 am
I guess people are assuming that this is a terribly boring story and that's why they're not reading it, huh?

When in fact, they're missing the story of the year. Too bad they've missed it. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:06 am
Oh, Reyn! Quit it out now, for cryin out loud! Smile These ARE good stories, but as Chai Tea said, sometimes its just hard to know how to respond.

In this case, I say the prosthetics company was way too trusting. Pay fer your leg, dude and if it needs any adjusting, come back any time and we'll get ya all fixed up. That's the way it should have been handled in my opinion.

Mr. Free Leg, if he is ever caught, could just say that he thought his insurance had already covered the tab and had no idea he was a thief!

$17,000 for a new leg, huh? I wonder what they charge for a new brain! Smile
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:09 am
Sorry, see:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1538773#1538773
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Curious shopper walks off with artificial leg
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:32:25