Help!

Wed 3 Jan, 2024 08:50 pm
I believe that my employer has been trying to get me to resign for numerous months now.

I spoke with my supervisor about my concerns and that I want to resign but cannot afford to but requested to stay on for reasonable time to look for another position.

Then, he arranged a meeting with our HR company and they created a contract requiring “reasonable” deliverables that I must sign and meet every two weeks for renewal. Failure to meet these requirements will result in termination. However, they are unrealistic tasks and deadlines, set up for only failure.

What do I do?

My mental and physical health cannot handle it anymore but I cannot afford to resign bc I need the unemployment benefits, insurance, etc

I am worried also that they will deny unemployment and accrued vacation time etc even if they fire me because they are so corrupt, sabotaging me.

I have no family or anyone and no savings.

Please advise. Thank you.

They are really shady and cunning.

CalamityJane

Wed 3 Jan, 2024 09:21 pm
@Employee24,
I am sorry you're dealing with such a shady company.

Hopefully you have a copy of the "contract for reasonable deliverables" - if not, let them give you a copy. Then document everything they say or do to create a hostile work environment for you. The more you can document the better.

Do not resign, let them terminate and they have to give you a valid reason.
Don't worry, you'll get unemployment payments. The burden of proof is on them to have valid documents that you were unwilling to do your job. If you simply cannot perform the tasks they've given you now, that's not a valid reason for termination.

Again, write down everything and document the date and hours. The labor board wants to see all these things. Do not sign anything, but duly note on your documentation that HR tried to coerce you into signing a new contract that will be renewed every two weeks. Also document that the given tasks are beyond your scope of work and beyond the time given to you. Intimidation and a hostile work environment, bullying and making you feel uncomfortable are all grounds for legal suit, but you need to document everything and I cannot stress it enough - do your due diligence and write down everything!

Good luck and whatever you do, don't resign!
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Thu 4 Jan, 2024 08:07 am
@Employee24,
Let me see if I have this right:

You walked into your boss's office, told this person that they are a piece of crap and the company you both work for is causing you so much stress you don't want to work there a day more. But wait!! There's more!! You don't want to quit right NOW, cause you're broke and need MONTHS to find another position. So, if they could just PAY you to be a malcontent and also make sure you accrue benefits, that will be just GRAND!!

Gee, I don't see how this scenario wouldn't be highly received!

Just do what normal people do: Quit.

The End.
Mame

Thu 4 Jan, 2024 09:07 am
@neptuneblue,
You never cease to amaze me with your negative and downright shitty responses. Happy New Year - nothing has changed!

First of all, the OP spoke with their SUPERVISOR, not the boss and likely did not say the company was a piece of crap. How do you infer such unlikely and negative things?

My new nickname for you is Negativeblue.
neptuneblue

Thu 4 Jan, 2024 09:13 am
@Mame,
Well, a negative employee losses productivity. Maybe start thinking with your brain.

0 Replies

RPhalange

Thu 4 Jan, 2024 11:59 am
@neptuneblue,
I agree to a point on what you said, however, there is no reason to word it the way you did. How is this helpful?

My comment was going to be - lesson learned do not tell anyone that you want to leave and/or are dissatisfied. The company is not handling it the right way and you did not as well. By saying what you did, you are showing you have no loyalty to the company and likely will not work up to expectations. Who would if they are in a position which they are unhappy with.

Most smart companies would then deal with you as a disgruntle employee. Likely instead of forcing you to sign things, keep a close eye on you and document anything you fall short on. They would start managing you out. You would then likely lose out on any raises/bonusses, etc. other than anything they would legally required to do.

So other posters gave you good advice on how to protect yourself, and look seriously for another job. And never tell anyone within a company you plan on leaving or want to leave unless you already have a position secured.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Thu 4 Jan, 2024 01:58 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Let me see if I have this right:

You walked into your boss's office, told this person that they are a piece of crap and the company you both work for is causing you so much stress you don't want to work there a day more. But wait!! There's more!! You don't want to quit right NOW, cause you're broke and need MONTHS to find another position. So, if they could just PAY you to be a malcontent and also make sure you accrue benefits, that will be just GRAND!!

Gee, I don't see how this scenario wouldn't be highly received!

Just do what normal people do: Quit.

The End.

If you read OPs statement again and more careful this time, you will
notice that OP never said anything you're implying. You put words in her/his
mouth he/she has not said at all. The reason he/she wants to stop working for this company is stated in the first sentence. You are probably projecting your own experiences into this reply and a bit more objectivity would help people asking for help on this platform. You haven't helped one bit, not one bit.
neptuneblue

Thu 4 Jan, 2024 02:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
Actually, advising someone to quit when they are unhappy at a position is sage advise.
RPhalange

Thu 4 Jan, 2024 04:01 pm
@neptuneblue,
But not everyone is independently wealthy or even in a position that they can miss one paycheck.

Suggesting someone to quit a job when they are unhappy without another on lined up is not "sage" advice, it is poor advice and could cause them to be homeless.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Thu 4 Jan, 2024 07:32 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Actually, advising someone to quit when they are unhappy at a position is sage advise.

In an ideal situation, I'd agree with you, but OP said "I have no family or anyone and no savings." Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck and if it means that you need a paycheck for rent and food, necessity overrides unhappiness. Who is really happy at their job?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 5 Jan, 2024 04:07 am
@Employee24,
Join a trade union.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Fri 5 Jan, 2024 07:14 am
@Employee24,
The issue of posting on a forum for a few years is that certain long time posters bully others, using past posts as a basis for their attacks. As if their own morality is somehow elevated beyond reproach. This shouldn't happen, but it does.

I said what I said.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Help!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 11:37:32