Political terms such as (moderate), (in the middle), (centrist) and (independent) can be deceiving.

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 10:09 pm
1. Political terms such as (moderate), (in the middle), (centrist), and (independent) can be deceiving.

2. I am only referring to the use of these terms in American politics.

3. There can times where these terms may prove to be valid with merit.

4. There are also times when these terms may prove to mislead and deceive.

5. If someone claims to be in the middle or centrist, who is the arbiter to make that determination?

6. If someone says a particular policy position is moderate or centrist, who is the arbiter to make that determination?

7. Often these terms can't be defined, because the definitions of such terms are forever moving the goal post of their meanings.

8. I see these terms often used to promote talking points.

9. Even the term No Labels is misleading and deceiving.

10. That's similar to a former Fox tv show called "The O'Reilly Factor". Bill O'Reilly was the host of this show. On his show, Bill O'Reilly would always refer to his show as being a (No Spin Zone). In reality he was spinning everything to fit his desired narrative.

11. When I hear the term No Labels, that's an oxymoron.

12. For all who don't know, No Labels is a political organization who I believe are deceiving and misleading.

Real Music

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 10:24 pm
1. The other political term that can be misconstrued is the term independent.

2. People often associate the term independent with centrist or moderate.

3. In some cases, that may be correct.

4. That reasoning is flawed because it doesn't take into account the reason a person might called themselves an independent.

5. Some independents might actually be to the left of the Democratic party, which is the opposite of being moderate.

6. Some independents might be to the right of the Republican party, which is the opposite of being moderate.

7. Obviously, there are other reasons as well.

8. I just want to point out that the term independent isn't necessarily synonymous with centrist or moderate.

9. When polls are conducted, who are these self described independents? Are they far left independents, far right independents, moderate independents, or other types of independents?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2023 10:52 pm
1. If someone were to ask me to describe my politics, I would simply say I am a Democrat.

2. I would tell them that my political views, are for the most part, in line with the
Democratic Party.

3. If I were to elaborate, I would first clarify which issues or policies are most important to me.

4. I don't view all issues and all policies as being equal in importance.

5. Some issues are much more important to me than other issues.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 12:37 am
1. The use of the term "moderate" in today's Republican Party only means that you are not a MAGA Republican.

2. Because MAGA Republicans are so insane, any Republicans who are not MAGA are often seen as moderate when being compared to the insane MAGA Republicans.

3. Not being a MAGA doesn't necessarily make a Republican moderate.

4. But, not being a MAGA can differentiate some Republicans from the insane MAGA Republicans.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 01:07 am
1. Liz Cheney served as Vice Chair of the House January 6th Committee.

2. I commend Liz Cheney and the rest of the committee for the work that they each put in for the American people on this committee.

3. I commend Liz Cheney and any other Republicans who stood up to the lawlessness of MAGA Republicans, insurrectionist, and election deniers.

4. With that all being said, Liz Cheney is not a moderate Republican.

5. Liz Cheney is and has always been a far right Republican.

6. I give Liz Cheney the upmost respect for standing up to lawlessness of the MAGAs, insurrectionist, and election deniers.

7. But policy wise, Liz Cheney is and has always been a far right Republican.

8. I probably disagree with Liz Cheney on virtually everything in regard to policy positions.

9. Because of that reason, I can't see myself ever voting for her over a democrat.

10. I am saying these things to show how the term moderate Republican has been redefined since Trumpism.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 01:20 am
1. Was the Democrat Joe Manchin being (reasonable) when the Democrats were trying pass a meaningful Voting Rights bill?

2. Was Democrat Joe Manchin being (unreasonable) by hindering and obstructing the passing of a Voting Rights Bill?

3. I would argue that Joe Manchin was (unreasonable) on many levels on how he prevented the Democrats from passing a meaningful Voting Rights bill.

4. In the past I have posted on that various topic extensively.
https://able2know.org/topic/559086-1

5. Also, Democrat Kyrsten Sinema was just as bad if not worse.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 01:39 am
Some examples of who, I myself, would define as being moderate Republicans:

1. I consider former President George Herbert Walker Bush who served as the 41st president of the United States from 1989 to 1993 as being a moderate Republican.

2. I might even consider someone like former Senator Bob Dole as being a moderate Republican.

3. I'm not saying that I don't see any modern-day Republicans as being moderate. If I really tried to find some more recent examples, I supposed I might find some. It was just easier for me to point out certain people from the past.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 02:53 am
With my particular political views and stances, I wonder how I would be labeled.

1. I believe that voting should be made easier by allowing approximately four weeks of early in-person voting. 

2. I believe that voting should be made easier by allowing approximately four weeks of mail-in voting.

3. This way the vast majority of people would have already voted prior to election day.

4. That would result in shorter lines during the four weeks of early in-person voting.

5. That would result in shorter lines during election day voting.

6. I strongly believe that all voting machines should be mandated to have a physical paper trail for all votes casted.

7. Having a physical paper trail for all votes casted is the responsible thing to do and it provides an additional way to audit or recount if needed.

8. I am a pro-union democrat. I stand with Labor Unions.

9. I believe that the super wealthy should pay their fair share in taxes to help fund the government and reduce the tax burden on the working class, middle class, and the poor.

10. I believe that the social security taxable income known as the social security cap should be greatly raise as an increase revenue source for social security. Without having to have to explain that in more details, That essentially mean that rich people will be paying more in taxes to fund social security. That would eliminate the need for any social security benefits being cut because there would be an enormous increase in revenue to fund social security. This link will explain it better.
https://able2know.org/topic/582449-1

11. I believe that the funding for Veterans Administration, VA Medical Centers, and VA Hospitals should continue to provide accessible and quality care for our veterans. I am opposed to privatizing the VA. I am also to opposed to voucherizing veterans care.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXrw8z6q-IU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8XBn49QAS8

12. I support strong enforceable environmental protection laws and agencies. I believe in strong environmental policing to keep our drinking water clean and safe. Keep our streams, rivers, lakes, and oceans clean and safe. Keep our ground, land, and soil safe from poisons and harmful chemicals. Keep the air we breathe clean and safe.

13. I also believe in adequately funding Medicare to provide quality accessible healthcare for our seniors. I definitely am opposed to privatizing Medicare.

14. I also strongly believe in Medicaid expansion. This is a real life saver to so many people who don't have the funds or resources to attain health care.

15. I believe in National Security.

16. I believe in National Defense.

This is just a brief overview of some of my stances and views on certain important issues. I have no idea of what specific political label would be placed upon me. Whatever label someone may call me has no bearing on my views and stances. The only label I call myself is Democrat.
hightor

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 07:29 am
I think sometimes "centrist" is used to identify a tactic rather than to label a particular ideology. Bill Clinton's "Third Way" was an example of a fluid centrism which sought to occupy the space between progressivism and conservatism without being locked into a fixed set of specific political beliefs.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2024 10:55 am
@Real Music,
America is by and large politically to the right of Europe.

Look at how well David Cameron and Barack Obama got on.

There wasn't much difference between them politially.

I couldn't say who was the more left or right wing, I honestly couldn't.
Real Music

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 09:28 pm
@izzythepush,
1. Yes, I agree that America is by and large politically to the right of Europe.

2. But, I don't have a problem with that being the case.

3. I'm probably myself politically to the right of Europe.

5. But, by America perspective, my politics is clearly on the left.

6. I'm not as knowledgeable about European politics as you are.

7. In my opinion, Some of the laws in some European countries are too far to the left for me.

8. In my opinion, Some of the government programs in some European countries are too far to the left for me.

9. Some government programs and some laws of European countries may be good for those European countries, but not necessarily good for America.

10. Some government programs and some laws of America may be good for America but, not necessarily good for Europe.

11. I'm not saying that America is better than Europe. I'm not saying the Europe is better than America. I'm just saying that we have different perspectives.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2024 09:45 pm
@Real Music,
In my previous post, I had forgotten to mention a few very important programs that I strongly support. These programs provides a lifeline for so many people in need of assistance.

1. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Also known as Food Stamps program.

2. The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).

3. Rent assistance programs to help the poor with paying their housing rent.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2024 09:05 am
following
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2024 03:02 pm
Joe Manchin Probably Shocked, Maybe Embarrassed, That (His) Voting Rights Bill Got No GOP Votes.

Rachel Maddow reports on the voting rights bill that Senate Republicans filibustered to failure, and points out that this was the bill that Joe Manchin wrote (himself) in place of the Democratic bill because he said Republicans would vote for it and not use the filibuster.

No Republicans voted for it.

Published: Oct 20, 2021

0 Replies

FredBquick

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2024 04:15 pm
Assumption of a political position neglects another axis altogether. We do not have to trust in government over us, there are those of us who know that, and do not put our faith in it. God is really who I should trust, and also live accordingly for answering to God, others should not stand in the way of that. We have to take more responsibility for ourselves too.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Political terms such as (moderate), (in the middle), (centrist) and (independent) can be deceiving.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 02:42:19