Divorce!

Ecdemic

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2023 02:25 am
This is probably a discussion no one has ever had to deal with. My husband and I just had our anniversary of 10 years. Also, recently at 62 years old I retired due to a lot of health problems. I don't draw that much money so my husband had the idea for us to divorce and then I could sign up under my deceased ex husband, (we were married 22 years, divorced, and then he passed away a few years later). My current husband thought after doing a lot of research that I would make a whole lot more after our divorce drawing from my deceased ex husband's social security. Then he said we would remarry. Our divorce is not final but should be in a few days. I am having a lot of 2nd thoughts about it. I feel very bad about signing those divorce papers because God does not like divorce. My husband coaxed me in to it. He insisted this was the right thing to do and there would be more money to draw each month. Nonetheless, this whole thing has really made me think. I'm afraid it's going to backfire. Maybe he might change his mind about remarrying me or vice versa. My future just seems uncertain now. This has really been hard on me because I've always taken marriage seriously. I have not talked to anyone about this. I would like to know the opinions of anyone here that would want to reply. Thank you.

jespah

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2023 06:02 am
@Ecdemic,
Talk to a lawyer, not your clergy person, because this reeks of Social Security fraud.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2023 06:49 am
@Ecdemic,
I don't know how you could possibly sign up for social security or anything under a) a divorced person, and b) a deceased person. I think it's utter bullshit.
chai2

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2023 03:52 pm
@Mame,
You most certainly can collect SS under an ex spouse or deceased spouse, if you meet the criteria. For an ex, you had to be married 10 years, and currently unmarried
I currently collect my deceased husbands at I think the rate of 70%, and in January of 2026 will switch over to mine, when I can collect the full amount under my SS number
Mame

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2023 05:58 pm
@chai2,
Oh wow... I had no idea. I don't think there's anything like that in Canada. Thanks for the correction.

Here you get a one-time death benefit payout of about $2500 from the CRA (IRS) upon death to the spouse/estate, and that's it. But if you're divorced, I don't think so, and especially if you're remarried. Canadian Pension benefits here die with the pension-holder.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2023 07:55 pm
@chai2,
Great! Good to see you back, by the way.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Divorce!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 11:14:32