My texts got hacked and it was scary as hell

Bogulum

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2023 09:26 am
I was in the middle of a text interaction with my sister. We text back and forth very often. I think the conversation was something about food - one of us asking the other how they prepared a certain dish.

I had just read her last text, and was about to respond, and then my cursor started moving, and words started appearing on my screen - as if I was typing them myself - but I wasn't! I hit and held the backspace key and erased what had been written, but it tried to print itself again, so I shut off my phone, in a panic. I had never seen anything like that before - hell, I'd only heard about or seen that kind of "hacking into" someone's phone on tv shows or movies.

I'm telling you, it was the eeriest feeling... for all the world it was as if my phone was possessed by evil spirits or something.

It hasn't happened since, and this was several days ago. At the time, what I did was turn my phone back on and tell my sister about it, and I told her that I would try to research what the **** had just happened.

To be honest, this is my first inquiry to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and to try to find out what they did about it.

I promise you I am not making this up even though I could understand why it might sound like a UFO sighting. It happened, and it was scary as hell.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you...
The words that were appearing on my screen were saying something about "republicans being attacked..."
for whatever that's worth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 535 • Replies: 14

jcboy

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2023 10:09 am
@Bogulum,
That happened to me twice on my iPhone, mine was due to me accidently hitting the voice activation button and it was picking up voices in the background and typing the words.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2023 12:05 pm
@Bogulum,
My computer got hacked about 15 years ago while I was working on something. The only way we could stop it was by shutting off all sources of power. I think we had to beef up our security programs back then, but these hackers are remarkably clever. I think a lot of us get hacked thru Facebook, especially from those sickeningly sweet requests from absolute strangers who claim they enjoy your posts because you're so (funny, smart, attractive) and ask you to friend them. They get access to all the names of your friends and then it's off to the races.

I'm not computer-savvy enough to tell you what to do, but maybe you should reach out to your service provider and ask them what to do (or what you can do) and hopefully they have some answers for you. I really, really, really loathe the hackers and their sick motivations.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2023 12:10 pm
I had this happen to me too and it also was due to an accidental voice activation and yes, it picks up voices nearby. I shut off the feature entirely.

Nonetheless, cell phones - regardless of its maker and provider, aren't as secure as a computer and it is advised to shut off/turn on the cell phone at least once a week to deter any ongoing hacking attempts.

Do not answer any messages that have a link attached to it. Luckily, there are functions to declare a message junk and automatically remove/block the sender.
jcboy

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2023 02:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Do not answer any messages that have a link attached to it. Luckily, there are functions to declare a message junk and automatically remove/block the sender.

I do the same thing, my phone is set up where it won't even ring unless the caller is in my contact list, it usually shows up as a spam call and if they don't leave a message I block the number.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2023 03:05 pm
@jcboy,
That's even better!
0 Replies

Bogulum

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2023 06:24 pm
Thanks y’all. All good advice.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2023 06:54 pm
@jcboy,
Yes, I have call blockers on my iPhone and all unknown numbers go directly to VM. I was getting 15 robocalls a day. And I put one on our landline which prompts unknown users to punch in a random number. No more robocalls.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2023 12:20 pm
@jcboy,
That's pretty interesting.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2023 07:45 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I told my wife about this and she told me that has happened to a couple of ladies she knows. I'd never heard about it before.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2023 10:44 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Shut off Siri and the microphone on your cell.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2023 12:34 pm
You know what else I discovered today on my iPhone? I keep about ten text messages from a few people, well this morning I looked and I didn’t have any saved. I thought WTF happened to them? I then clicked on edit and selected recently deleted messages and there they were, I had to restore them, not sure how that happened. Mad
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2023 08:55 pm
@jcboy,
So how does this affect your attitude about self driving cars?
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2023 01:16 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Hahaha.....my car would have this feature, had I bought the self driving option. I never would trust a machine to drive me.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2023 07:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
They are nooo way near ready to drive themselves.

I'd want them to do something about how when they catch fire, they resist extinguishing until they burn to the pavement.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My texts got hacked and it was scary as hell
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:40:31