Staying connected to the internet during life transition

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:29 pm
I am thinking of moving out of NYC very soon. If I do, I will basically be living with friends, relatives, or in hotels for a couple months at least. The thing is, I want to be able to get on the internet and check for jobs/apartments/do research probably at least a couple/few times a week.

What are my options in keeping myself connected to the internet? Can I still keep my monthly-paid internet service, or get some new service provider and use that to connect at wireless hubs or internet cafes? Or do you just have to go in and pay by the hour at places like that? I have a laptop, but I've never used it to connect at some public internet "hotspot" or anything like that. How does that work?

Anyone have any good practical suggestions on this matter? Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,050 • Replies: 13
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:31 pm
you can keep your monthly service. Just load their software on to your laptop.
If you dont have a disk for it, contact them, they will send one to you.
Internet cafes have varying charges.Some may be free with purchase, some may charge by the hour.
Most libraries , with a valid ID, let you use their connection free for an hour at a time..

many options..
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 02:02 pm
There are many motels which offer free internet access in your room. It worked with my labtop.

Does your provider have a vacation option where you can get a local number ( for the stay not at home) for dial-up?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 02:07 pm
usually on dial up connections, you can always change the number you are dialing from and the area code so that it isnt a long distance call.

just go to preferrances
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 02:10 pm
Yes, that sounds like the best solution: dial-up connection
with earthlink cost around $ 15.00 per month and there
are plenty of phone numbers to choose from. All you need
is a phone socket.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 04:00 pm
Most public libraries will let you use their connection and computer for free for 30 and sometimes 60 minutes. Connect to your browser same as you do from work.

Sixty minutes isn't long, but the point is, once you have a browser and email account, you don't need an ISP to maintain them.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 04:00 pm
Dial up? How uncivilized...hehehe...I'll have to think about this. Thanks for the info you guys!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 04:01 pm
Oh, Roger, I didn't see yours there. Another good option. Thanks.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 04:16 pm
Wi-fi is the new thing. You need an 802.11(g/a/b) card if it isn't built in to your laptop. Better wi-fi locations will automagically configure your PC with local IP and gateway information via DHCP. Then you simply use your computer normally for Internet, IM, and e-mail access (your e-mail client should be locally configured on your laptop with login/password information that is passed to the POP server to retrieve mail). If for any reason that doesn't work you can usually get your e-mail off the web, typically at something like "webmail.yourispname.com", or just go to their homepage and login with your userid and password and you should be able to get to your mailbox.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 04:19 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Better wi-fi locations will automagically configure your PC with local IP and gateway information via DHCP.

Although i suspect that was a typo, it really cracked me up. That's a great way to put it, and next time, do it on purpose, Boss.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 04:27 pm
No typo. Glad you liked it. I'm here all week.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 04:28 pm
I'll tip the wait staff . . .
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 04:30 pm
Thanks, cjhsa. Damn, that is some complicated-sounding ****. Wi-fi? How do I find a Wi-fi location? Is this a thing I can find in a phone book, or on the web or something? nevermind, I'll google it later when I have some time. Thanks again.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 04:39 pm
It sounds more complicated than it really is. It's when it doesn't work that it gets complicated.

Here's something to try at your next wi-fi stop. Bring up your browser and in the Address (URL) bar type in http://192.168.0.1.

See what you get. In many cases you will connect to the wi-fi hub itself, or the router or high speed modem. Always fun to try. Wink
0 Replies