What are the laws on this?

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2023 09:04 pm
I am writing a fictional story about a character who is a singer/aspiring singer who has a name I really want to give her. I noticed there are a few other singers or aspiring singers with the same name but they don't appear to be signed singers nor do they have these names as their stage name or band name. I know authors can get sued for using a name for their fictional character who is a musician with the same stage name as a real life musician but what if the character might have the same first name as the real singer but not the same stage name or band name? Hope my question isn't too confusing, thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 272 • Replies: 3
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2023 04:28 am
@Truesigma,
You're asking about copyright law.

It's against T.o.S. to give out legal advice.

Either pay for a lawyer or give your protagonist a different name.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2023 07:55 am
@Truesigma,
Good grief.
There's a reason 99% of novels have the following disclaimer at the front to their published books.

Quote:
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, business, events and incidents are the products of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

And also...
Quote:
D. THIS SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL LEGAL ADVICE. All of the services' content, including postings, is for informational purposes only. The service is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice, and no attorney/client privilege is to be inferred from any postings herein. Always seek the advice of a qualified legal professional with questions you have regarding a legal matter. You should not disregard professional legal advice because of something you have received from or read in the able2know service.

This is a question you should ask your literary agent/attorney.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2023 10:04 am
There are writing groups on Facebook that might be able to help and may have had a similar experience.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What are the laws on this?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 09:07:47