Was I too young or do I not care?

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2023 09:54 am
When I was young,around 6 years old,I was involved with a house fire.I remember hearing the loud bang,seeing the flames,running out of the house and going to the hospital however somehow I have not gained any PTSD or any trauma from this.I have only just realised recently because surely an event like that must have traumitised me,right?For example,when I do recall these memories I just brush it off and be like,"Oh yeah that did happen"or when I ask about an item to my mum and she replies with,"No,we lost that in the fire" I just respond rather calmly?This is so random but yeah.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 254 • Replies: 9

jespah

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2023 11:06 am
@Kamochii,
Don't go buying trouble. So, you didn't react the exact same textbook way you would expect someone to.

Er, so what?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2023 11:10 am
@Kamochii,
Kamochii wrote:

I have only just realised recently because surely an event like that must have traumitised me,right?

No. Not necessarily. Most people forget much of their memories from such a young age.

That's not discounting that you may have some undiagnosed PTSD or anxiety or fear that you aren't actually aware of and currently cannot directly connect to this event. But if that's the case, no free online forum is the proper or appropriate place to address that hypothetical emotional issue.

There's literally nothing to feel guilty about ... regarding not feeling trauma about an event you were too young to process at the time.
Mame

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2023 12:26 pm
I was in a house fire when I was 8 and actually we kids kind of laugh at certain aspects of it (we were carried down the ladder wearing a pj top and undies which embarrassed us). None of us 7 were the least bit traumatized by it - in fact we found it kind of exciting. And it was a bad one, too.
0 Replies

Kamochii

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2023 12:56 pm
@jespah,
True true but it's something I have just realized.
0 Replies

Kamochii

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2023 12:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm not sure if I understood right or if I'm wording this correctly but I wasn't really looking to see for any diagnosis, I just realized that although typically people gain trauma from this type of experience, I seem to not share the same reaction,which I now understand can be normal.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2023 02:02 pm
We often brush off things that happen early in life as not being important unless we can remember them. I believe the earlier trauma happens in our life the more impact it has on us, especially if we can't remember it.
That does not mean that the fire was traumatic to you or had a strong impact on you. But you seem to be questioning it?
Kamochii

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2023 05:40 pm
@coluber2001,
I almost clearly remember the events within the incident but when recalling these memories I don’t seem to have a reaction or any strong emotions
Ragman

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2023 04:57 am
@Kamochii,
Ok. Do you have “appropriate “ reactions to events and happenings in your current every-day life?
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2023 07:42 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Ok. Do you have “appropriate “ reactions to events and happenings in your current every-day life?

Very good question, dear Sir.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Was I too young or do I not care?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 10:50:24