(Republican) Rep. Eli Crane refers to Black people as 'colored people' on House floor.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2023 08:14 pm
@Brandon9000,
So it's OK to call you a faggot?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2023 08:16 pm
@neptuneblue,
Exactly. He was dog whistling racist voters.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 12:08 am
@Real Music,
'Poisoning the well': Florida middle schoolers to be dragged into DeSantis' war on history.

The latest educational repercussions of Ron DeSantis's campaign against "woke" is a set of new guidelines that will have Florida middle school students learning false, racist tropes about the benefits of slavery to slaves and casting racist violence against Black people in a more "both sides" context. Jelani Cobb, dean of the Columbia Journalism School discusses with Alex Wagner.

Published July 20, 2023

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 06:30 am
@Real Music,
It's not over in Florida, either. DeSantis clock is running out. He'll have to run for governor as a loser nationally. The tide will turn.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 08:15 am
@Real Music,
The Democrats need to take back the House then expel him if he manages to keep his seat.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 08:16 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I never think about anyone's ethnicity. I think about the content of his character. Barring, actual, intentional racist slurs, I just don't give a sh*t.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Effing liar. Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Bogulum

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 06:24 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
It was designed to get the maximum response specifically geared to offend.

He said "colored people, or black people" – so he might have been distinguishing between African-Americans and other dark-skinned citizens who routinely face discrimination. Or, he just might have been lax and used a currently politically incorrect term. I doubt he actually meant to offend anyone. He appears young enough to have known better so I suspect cluelessness more than overt racism.

I think your comments on this are the most bothersome. Even more so than Brandon's, whose raw bigotry blares through all of his transparent, childish insistence that he simply doesn't notice or think about "ethnicity".

And reminiscent of Brandon, who (even though he tries to front as if every discussion of racial language is so far beneath him) apparently believes himself a good judge of what should and should not be offensive, you talk about the terminology you just "refuse to use". About that, here's my 2 cents of advice: Refer to people the way they want to referred to. Especially if you know for a fact that's what they prefer to be called. It really is the least you can do.

But that's not the most bothersome thing. It's the way you give the benefit of a doubt, and the people you choose to give it to. Eli Crane is a 43 year old man who advertises himself as "against cancel culture and the radical left" on his website. He doesn't strike me as someone who has never had a thought or conversation about what is, or is not considered acceptable language when speaking of non-white people. Before you get up and speak in the well of congress, he certainly had a moment to know what he wanted to say, and how he wanted to say it. It stretches credulity to say that 'oh, maybe he just didn't realize how "colored people" would come off'.

This is the same kind of thing people are trying to fly now, about Jason Aldean, the lyrics of his song, and the images in his video. Aldean comes from Nashville, Tennessee. He knew damn well the place he chose to film his video was a FAMOUS lynching site. He knew that showing footage of BLM protesters while singing "try that in a small town" and "try to take my granddaddy's guns" would have a certain effect on the people who listen to his music. It defies all rational thought to try to convince people it was all just a big accident. Maybe you haven't been paying attention to this, but did you think his "Try that in a Small Town" song just stirred up racial animus by mistake?

I wonder if you can see yourself as, or would ever cop to, being a white man who will bend into shapes to defend the white man's status quo.

But that's what I see in you, over and over.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 07:41 pm
@Bogulum,
Bravo.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 21 Jul, 2023 09:30 pm
VP Harris will visit Florida to speak out against state's new Black history standards.

Vice President Kamala Harris is expected to travel to Florida on Friday to deliver critical remarks in response
to the state Board of Education's approval of new standards for how Black history will be taught in schools.

Published July 21, 2023

0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2023 03:21 am
@Real Music,
I am saying this. My grandmothers generation ruled this world so who is speaking is my fathers generation if not mine. Honestly between me and my dad/mom generation "We was not taught correct about many things.

Honestly it is Ohio. Who cares. I had this conversation in class. Negro just means black, Colored people is what was used during the late 1980's and early 1990's. Me and my former supervisor who likes videogames would say "Persons of African Decent".

However lets be real. When we talk about the above usually people revert to the word "Black" which in my opinion is an insult. Even the Roman people was colored and it was a mistake the statues was found to be white ( like the movies ) when in reality those statues, pillars, and houses of stone was painted............but the paint did not last the test of time. So when the excavation of Roman, Greek, world was occuring some English Nutjob wrote a book on the joy of white and being white that influenced racism.

In fact some English guy even started called Negros the N-word because he could not pronounce the word correctly.

We need to look forward and not look back. George Floyd to Eric Garner happen. People getting sick of police officers to the point of just hunting them down happen. These people living in the past needs to grow up that race is inside your imagination. Health is what is important.

Your going to drop dead dancing around like a fool thinking "Those N-words"
being alienated just because you do not get Rap-music, or how the constant discrimination against "Non-Europeans" ( Non-Whites ) have created a catastrophe that will outlast you and there is no place to run at all because you can not be honest.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 22 Jul, 2023 03:24 am
@Bogulum,
Glad to see you back on the site. You've been missed.

I don't know Eli Crane. Never heard of him until this incident. Given the lack of specific information I thought people were overly anxious to accuse him of overt racism when he might simply have been clueless, careless, or stupid. I don't think the Jason Aldean situation is the same. A lot more production went into making that video. The intent there is clear.
Real Music

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2023 03:34 am
Florida's new standards for teaching Black history spark outrage

The Florida Board of Education approved a new set of standards for how Black history should be taught in the state’s public schools, sparking criticism from education and civil rights advocates who said students should be allowed to learn the “full truth” of American history.

Published July 20, 2023

0 Replies

NSFW (view)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2023 06:52 am
@Bogulum,
Exactly right, decent people never ever just accidently up and pop off with a racist rant. They don't ever just bump into a lynch mob. Nobody ever said just ONE racist thing in their life. And nobody ever made racist comments out of an unracist heart.

Also have my doubts about whoever it was who made your comment NSFW.
Bogulum

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2023 07:00 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Guess I needed to use “n-word”
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2023 07:16 am
@Bogulum,
I think it's a crying shame. One thing if it's someone using it on someone, another if it's used in example.
Bogulum

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2023 07:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Well, I suppose if they absolutely HAVE to censor words, that’s one they can’t let slide. I’m not tripping out about it.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2023 08:52 am
@Bogulum,
Quote:
I don't know ANY politicians personally. but when one of them stands at a podium and uses an old, commonly known racist trope, I don't scratch my head and strain to figure out what ELSE he could have possibly been referring to.

I get your point.

The whole point of the bill was to restrict or do away with "diversity training", plainly a goal of white nationalists and white supremacists – i.e. racists. But singling out one word, which sounded, to me, like a hastily corrected slip of the tongue, doesn't address the larger issues specifically raised by that proposed legislation. Identifying Crane as a racist seems secondary to the need to attack the substance of the bill itself.

We agree on lot of things but we don't think the same way about everything. For instance, your attacks on Garland and the Justice Department – I never criticized your impatience or suggested that you were wrong for expressing your view of the matter. I don't see why these sorts of differences need to become adversarial.
Bogulum

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2023 11:46 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I never criticized your impatience or suggested that you were wrong for expressing your view of the matter.

You say that as if, had you done that, it would have violated some kind of important boundary. I think you should criticize whatever you feel needs your critique.

And "you never said I was wrong for expressing my view"? What does that even mean? Who EVER says someone is wrong for expressing their view? You seem to want me to comply to some kind of rules of engagement, or something. And what it really feels like is you telling me to be sure I don't make you uncomfortable. I can't be worrying about whether my truth somehow unsettles you.

And what precisely are you calling "adversarial"? We happen to disagree on some very basic things - our approaches to certain subjects - how we frame certain subjects. I am very specific and direct in pointing out how I see what we differ on, and why I think we see it differently. If I think you're full of ****, or disingenuous or wrongheaded and say so, is that adversarial? I have blind spots, and areas where my understanding needs filling in. I want people to be able to tell me if they think I'm wrong.

I think we have an obligation to not be purposefully offensive, but I don't think we should sacrifice our integrity by avoiding conflict so that no one's uncomfortable.
0 Replies