Is it a grammar issue or not?

pqjgu

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2023 03:21 am
I had the following dialog with a native English speaker on social media:

Me: What a fantastic city!!! I lived there but did not notice that only now by looking at your photos.
Friend: I don't think you do notice when you live somewhere!

I'm not sure, is my friend referring to a grammar issue or criticizing me being ignorant to places where I live? If the earlier case, what would be the appropriate phrasing? My original intention was to express that although I lived there I was not aware of, or was not able to recognize that place being such a fantastic city. Maybe both the grammatical structure and the use of the word notice was incorrect in this case.

hightor

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2023 04:20 am
@pqjgu,
Try it this way:

What a fantastic city!!! I lived there but only noticed that now by looking at your photos.

The use of the word "that" can sometimes be ambiguous. This problem could be avoided by saying:

What a fantastic city!!! I lived there but only now noticed how fantastic it is
by looking at your photos.

pqjgu

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2023 07:05 am
@hightor,
Thanks for the explanation and the correction!

From what you wrote I suppose that my friend's comment was to point out that my statement was grammatically incorrect. Would you agree with that?

I’m asking this due to my other question which was included in my post and to which I'm referring in the topic of the post. My other question sounded as follows:

“I'm not sure, is my friend referring to a grammar issue or criticizing me being ignorant to places where I live?”
hightor

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2023 07:40 am
@pqjgu,
I think he was gently teasing you about your incorrect usage; I strongly doubt that he thought you didn't know where you had once lived.

Hope that helps.
Mame

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2023 08:46 am
@pqjgu,
Friend: I don't think you DO notice when you live somewhere!

I think he was agreeing with you that one often doesn't notice things where they live.

Certainly not criticizing or judging you.
pqjgu

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2023 03:05 pm
@hightor,
Thank you very much!

As I’m not a native English speaker I definitely wanted to hear someone else’s opinion about the meaning of my friend’s reaction. If my wording in English is awkward or a little strange I’m happy to be corrected as this is the only way of learning. We only shared these two sentence (mentioned in my post) nothing else, but in my interpretation my friend’s sentence could have multiple meanings.
0 Replies

pqjgu

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2023 03:19 pm
@Mame,
You Sure?

"I think he was agreeing with you that one often doesn't notice things where they live."

I didn't think of that one as an option, although this is a very common thing to say. This would also give a positive interpretation to the dialog.

So you would exclude the grammar issue, meaning even if my sentence was not the best English that's not what my friend wanted to point out?

Just for completeness I'm a he, my friend is a she, we were colleagues in her home town six years ago. Then I moved back home and since then we haven't met or talked. Now she made a post that she visited my home town and we shared these two sentences. As I mentioned in my post she is native English and I live in a non English speaking country.
Mame

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2023 03:39 pm
@pqjgu,
That's how I interpreted the exchange. And that's all I have to say about it.
0 Replies

fobvius

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2023 12:20 am
@pqjgu,
As Mame has correctly noted (while hightor completely failed to comprehend the gist of your question) your correspondent has simply observed that every day, commonplace surroundings are not necessarily appreciated.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with grammar.

steve reid

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2023 01:43 am
@pqjgu,
It is as Mame says

When your friend said "I don't think you do notice when you live somewhere!", your friend was not refering to you, the word "you" as used here is a general term to mean anyone or everyone

Perhaps it should have been

I don't think anyone notices when they live somewhere!
fobvius

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2023 03:26 am
@steve reid,
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2023 04:44 am
@fobvius,
Quote:
(while hightor completely failed to comprehend the gist of your question)

That's very possible, but the fact that he actually thought his friend might have been criticizing him suggests that it may have been expressed in a critical tone of voice. These sorts of cues are obvious in real life but missing in a strictly verbal context.
fobvius

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2023 06:29 am
@hightor,
True, I was being a bitch.

0 Replies

pqjgu

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2023 07:26 am
Thanks to all who commented on my question.
I found all comments helpful and supportive. Yes, the youtube videos too Smile
fobvius

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2023 08:46 am
@pqjgu,
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is it a grammar issue or not?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 09:48:02