What is the correct sequence in Punctuation

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2023 03:04 pm
I have a sentence which ends with: 1. full stop; 2. quote mark (closing a quotation), and 3. footnote reference number. In what order should these thee items be listed.

engineer

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2023 06:43 am
@Eamonnx12,
Quote:
1. The final period or comma goes inside the quotation marks, even if it is not a part of the quoted material, unless the quotation is followed by a citation. If a citation in parentheses follows the quotation, the period follows the citation. If a superscript footnote number is used, it follows the period and the quotation marks.

https://www.hamilton.edu/academics/centers/writing/style/essentials/punctuation-of-quotations#:~:text=The%20final%20period%20or%20comma,is%20followed%20by%20a%20citation.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2023 01:57 am
@engineer,
That's American.

The OP used the term full stop, not period which would suggest they use Standard, not American, English.

Over here it's usual to put the full stop outside of the speech marks.

Eamonnx12

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2023 02:58 pm
@engineer,

I've been following your sequence
Here is an example of a sentence:
His attempts to gain the headship of his lineage failed because his ‘kindred house was not entitled to it.’91 (the 91 is superscript)

What Word does is to put a double blue line under the superscript number. I'm not sure why. usually the double blue line indicates a mistake. But I cant see any.
0 Replies

Eamonnx12

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2023 03:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Here is an example:
His attempts to gain the headship of his lineage (Osumi of Okene) failed because his ‘kindred house was not entitled to it.’91 (the 91 is superscript)

Word puts a double blue line (error) under the superscript number. Why I don't know. How would you do my sentence above?
fobvius

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2023 11:14 pm
@Eamonnx12,
Three his's.

Quote:
His attempts to gain the headship of his lineage (Osumi of Okene) failed because his ‘kindred house was not entitled to it.’91 (the 91 is superscript)

Attempts to gain leadership of the Ozumi of Okene failed because his ‘kindred house was not entitled to it’.⁹¹

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What is the correct sequence in Punctuation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:34:54