Let's Lose the word, Awesome"

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2023 10:07 am
When I was a kid in the '50's, the word which described anything and everything that was the slightest bit positive was, "fabulous". Thank goodness that word is now relegated to the trash heap of verbal history.

Nowadays ,the go-to word to describe almost anything is "awesome". I just read some silly little thing that the author described with that word. Now, double rainbows ARE awesome. A drawing by a four year old may be cute, or even show
the child's artistic potential, but I can say for sure that it is NOT a.....e

Are there any words or expressions in current use, that are sadly overused to the point of meaninglessness??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 336 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2023 01:55 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Sorry, 'awesome' is not in my wheelhouse.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2023 01:59 pm
@Phoenix32890,

i think 'phenomenal' has already become the new 'awesome'...
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2023 02:44 pm
@Phoenix32890,
The most common one I can think of is the misuse of "literally". Like, literally everyone does it!

And although it seems to be trending down a bit, media use of "fresh" in place of new is particularly (and admittedly irrationally) grating to me. Fresh talks? Fresh criticism? Fresh protests? It's gotten too stale for my tastes. Literally
roger

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2023 02:52 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

The most common one I can think of is the misuse of "literally". Like, literally everyone does it!
Yeah, like you know, right?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2023 02:56 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Iconic.

Citizen Kane is iconic. Batman Forever is not.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 03:20 pm
Same difference has got to go. Point being that it’s flat-ass wrong. If it’s the same then it can’t be different and vice versa.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2023 07:03 pm
Why do you think that we have words that are so overused that they don't show judgement or discernment? If every little thing is "awesome", is there no room for mediocrity? Is the entire concept of "equality" so ingrained in our society that top credit is offered for just about everything?

In the last couple of days, I have been thinking about the implications of people assigning over the top evaluations. I haven't completely figured it out. All I know is that I cringe whenever I hear that word Shocked uttered. What is your "take" on the subject?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2023 12:18 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Over the top evaluation is so innate to the American society.
Toddlers "graduate" from preschool already with diplomas, gowns and caps.
Later on, all students get an award, no matter how bad his/her assignment is,
we just can't exclude anyone for fear of.....yeah, for fear of what? The slightest criticism spins them into depression and anxiety, adulting is too much for them.

Cheerleading has become a constant trait in the workforce otherwise they need a personal day to regain their posture. Never mind trying to get people back to work after WFH (work from home) has become such a convenient way to do as little as possible with full salaries.

Losing words like "awesome" is just a drop of water on a hot stone, but it would be a start.
Mame

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2023 05:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
This 'inclusiveness' might sound good, but sometimes managers go over the top with it. Where I last worked (library), one woman was a passive-aggressive who never attended any off-work events and she was allergic to gluten. We planned a Christmas dinner at the 34-1 democratically, majority-chosen restaurant. She cited her allergies (mainly gluten). Well, it was Thai and they serve RICE noodles - problem solved. No, still can't attend, even though she wouldn't anyway. The restaurant graciously allowed her to bring her own meal. No, that would be 'shaming' her. Well, we had it anyway, but that was the last Christmas dinner we had because we weren't 'inclusive' enough. Just stupid, especially since she had never attended anything, including pot lucks. Same thing with the $10 goofy gift exchange. Apparently some people can't afford the $10... fair enough... it was an optional component and everyone enjoyed the goofy gifts even if they didn't participate. But... it wasn't 'inclusive'. Not everyone even went to these events.

We're playing to the dumbest of the dumb.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Let's Lose the word, Awesome"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 09:46:59