Picky eaters!

Reply Wed 24 May, 2023 08:24 am
How do you deal with a picky eater as an adult? I'm not talking about dealing with a child who refuses to try or eat broccoli, steamed spinach, or carrots but I'm talking about an adult who just refuses to eat anything new. New is a relative term though. I'm talking about foods that have been around for years and years.

As a child my mom never cooked asparagus and definitely not brussel sprouts for the family but as I got older I tried asparagus and loved it. A few years ago I decided I wanted to try brussel sprouts and again discovered they were very tasty.

Here's my questions, how do you deal with an adult who claims to not like certain things? My wife and I are what you would call foodies. She loves to find new restaurants to go to and try their menu but typically when we get there she either gets the steak or whatever shrimp, lobster, or crab dish they have. She never ventures out to try anything new. She was never big on Mexican dishes when we first met and anytime I'd suggest going to a place called On The Border she would just cringe. A few years ago a new place opened in our city called Mi Pueblo which is a very nice Mexican style restaurant. I took her there reluctantly and she loved it. I guess I changed her mind on Mexican foods somewhat. I love to cook and I'll try different recipes. Last week I was looking at a few videos online just killing time and one popped up where this guy was making a chicken burrito with crispy chicken tenders, french fries and the works. Me, I'm the type of guy who will see a commercial for a restaurant and instead of going there to get the dish I find my own recipe for the item. Shrimp or chicken carbonara, loaded fries, etc. Just whatever they restaurant commercial is promoting I will try it myself. So, I decided to try the burrito. I gathered all my ingredients and over the course of a few days I worked on it. A day or so to gather the ingredients to make sure I had everything. Then I wanted to make some items ahead of time to cut down on doing everything in one night. So the day before I made the fresh guacamole and fresh pico de gallo. The day of, I made the Mexican rice. Earlier in the day I got my spice mix together for the chicken which was nothing we didn't already have in the kitchen. Marinated my chicken with EVOO and the spice mix then seared it in the pan that night. Sliced the chicken in strips and laid everything out for the wife and I to eat. Again, marinated chicken breasts, fresh guac and pico. Monterey jack queso, fresh fried bacon, homemade Mexican style rice. A can of black beans (which I know she doesn't like but I do). Shredded fiesta style cheese and sour cream. My wife comes to the kitchen and starts picking apart the meal. "I don't eat black beans." "I don't eat Mexican style rice." "I'm not a big burrito eater." I told her to just make a burrito and try it. She threw everything she wanted on it and I rolled it up. I also pulled out my griddle and sprayed it with butter spray and got it screaming hot then seared the burritto on each side until it was golden brown.

Again, my wife loves homemade quac. She's always buying pico de gallo but this time I made it fresh. Chicken, bacon, cheese. Again, things she eats anyway. And the Mexican rice was nothing more than rice, tomato sauce, chicken broth, garlic, cumin, finished off with fresh cilantro.

She maybe took 2 bites of it and didn't touch it again. Next thing I know she walks her plate to the kitchen and comes back with a bowl of cereal. And this is an everyday thing. She follows every meal with a bowl of cereal. She'll eat anything fried as long as it's pork chops or drumsticks. Rice is okay too as long as it's white with some sort of gravy on it.

I'm wondering if this is retaliation for the other night. She made some sort of spicy cajun string bean recipe which had chopped potatoes in it. My wife hates to chop anything when she cooks so the potatoes were uneven meaning they were various sizes. The smaller pieces were cooked through whereas the larger pieces were raw in the middle. And she knows I tend to stay away from spicy foods ever since I had my gallbladder removed a number of years ago.

How do you deal with picky eaters . . . . adult picky eaters?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 314 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 May, 2023 10:01 am
@Barry2021,
I want to know why you went to so much trouble for something when there was no sure chance of success.

Unless you were getting bored, and looking for something to complain about.

Look, I get it when you work on something very hard and it's not appreciated. I do! But at the same time, you've got a part in this little drama.

"Hey, honey, I saw this interesting recipe for burritos and was hoping to make it. Want to try it?"

And she'll either say yes or she'll say no.

If she says yes then go ahead. But be prepared for her not liking it. Sobeit.

If she says no, then either make just for yourself or don't make it at all.

As for her diet, that is a minefield if I ever saw one.

Don't go into a critique of someone's diet unless you know for sure there are issues with it. As in, that person is a diabetic, or they are actively trying to lose (or gain) weight, they have Crohn's, that sort of thing.

But you're not the diet police. If she's healthy according to her doctor then she can have pork chops until the pigs come home. If she's not, then she needs to come around to handling her diet and changing it.

That part is not up to you. It is up to her.

I have been everything from 136 to 346 in my adult life and I can tell you for a fact that the only way someone will truly change their eating habits is if they want to do it. No amount of nagging will help and it only makes people dig their heels in even more.

Also, and not for nothin', but folks who are on the spectrum may select a meal over and over again because it's easy and/or it's comforting to know what they are getting themselves into.

Me, I eat virtually an identical lunch every single weekday. Why? Because I don't have to think about it. My husband sees no need to make me change this because it works for me. Your wife's pork chops and cereal and whatnot work for her.

This is, yet again, a case of not your circus, not your monkeys.
Mame

Reply Wed 24 May, 2023 11:40 am
"How do you deal with a picky eater as an adult? "

You let them be who they are. Why? Why not? Many of us have what might be considered odd eating habits. I've heard of people who can't stand foods touching each other on their plate, for example. Others eat all their potatoes before moving on to their peas.

I'm not a fan of casseroles. I don't know why and I don't analyze it. I would eat any of the food items on their own, or in another way, but I simply do NOT like them in a casserole. So I don't eat them and if my husband makes one, knowing how I feel about them, I just make myself something else. He's not hurt that I won't eat it and I'm not hurt because he made something I don't like. He just felt like having a casserole. He also puts hot sauce on everything and I may look sadly at my Chicken Cordon Bleu being massacred by hot sauce, but it's going into his mouth so he gets to have it the way he prefers.

I think you need to let your wife having her eating habits. It doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever and it's not hurting anyone. Maybe just try not to judge?
Barry2021

Reply Wed 24 May, 2023 12:07 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I want to know why you went to so much trouble for something when there was no sure chance of success.

Unless you were getting bored, and looking for something to complain about.

Look, I get it when you work on something very hard and it's not appreciated. I do! But at the same time, you've got a part in this little drama.

"Hey, honey, I saw this interesting recipe for burritos and was hoping to make it. Want to try it?"

And she'll either say yes or she'll say no.

If she says yes then go ahead. But be prepared for her not liking it. Sobeit.

If she says no, then either make just for yourself or don't make it at all.

As for her diet, that is a minefield if I ever saw one.

Don't go into a critique of someone's diet unless you know for sure there are issues with it. As in, that person is a diabetic, or they are actively trying to lose (or gain) weight, they have Crohn's, that sort of thing.

But you're not the diet police. If she's healthy according to her doctor then she can have pork chops until the pigs come home. If she's not, then she needs to come around to handling her diet and changing it.

That part is not up to you. It is up to her.

I have been everything from 136 to 346 in my adult life and I can tell you for a fact that the only way someone will truly change their eating habits is if they want to do it. No amount of nagging will help and it only makes people dig their heels in even more.

Also, and not for nothin', but folks who are on the spectrum may select a meal over and over again because it's easy and/or it's comforting to know what they are getting themselves into.

Me, I eat virtually an identical lunch every single weekday. Why? Because I don't have to think about it. My husband sees no need to make me change this because it works for me. Your wife's pork chops and cereal and whatnot work for her.

This is, yet again, a case of not your circus, not your monkeys.

Where did I say ANYTHING about her being on a diet?
Barry2021

Reply Wed 24 May, 2023 12:25 pm
@Mame,
WOW, had I been a woman and I mentioned that I wanted to cook my husband a nice meal that I prepped for days on and took my time to fix and prepare but all he did was eat two bites then went and got a bowl of cereal you guys would be holding a parade for me, as a woman, saying how I should just let him starve the next time or let him fix his own damn food if he was that unappreciative. God forbid a man tries to cook a nice meal or at least something different for a change. Leave it up to my wife we'd eat out every night so she didn't have to cook.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 May, 2023 12:31 pm
@Barry2021,
I have issues with eating.

My parents grew up during the war when they had rationing and as such they hated any type of waste.

When I was little they would force me to eat.

As a result if I feel under any pressure to eat anything, anything at all my stomach shrinks and I can't eat a thing.

Being an adult means you can say **** off I'm not eating that.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 May, 2023 12:46 pm
@Barry2021,
Er, you do realize that the term 'diet' refers to an eating regimen, not necessarily one for losing weight, yes?

This is the stuff she eats.

Is it hurting you? Are you unable to afford it? Is she eating it after it's spoiled?

Then repeat after me: not my circus, not my monkeys.

PS I would say the same thing to a woman. Don't go yelling that this is a gender issue.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 24 May, 2023 12:47 pm
@Barry2021,
Barry2021 wrote:

WOW, had I been a woman and I mentioned that I wanted to cook my husband a nice meal that I prepped for days on and took my time to fix and prepare but all he did was eat two bites then went and got a bowl of cereal you guys would be holding a parade for me, as a woman, saying how I should just let him starve the next time or let him fix his own damn food if he was that unappreciative. God forbid a man tries to cook a nice meal or at least something different for a change. Leave it up to my wife we'd eat out every night so she didn't have to cook.

I don't know what you're talking about. You should know by now what she does and doesn't like. It was surely no surprise to you. And if she has an aversion to black beans, don't put them in the main dish - just add them to yours.

I likely would have eaten your burritos but I'm not your wife. I do not cook things for my husband that he doesn't like. Why would I? Like izzy, we grew up being forced to eat what we didn't like and it was not pretty. Like izzy, I reacted by eating only what I want as an adult. Why should anyone eat something they don't like when there are plenty of choices? My husband hates sweet peppers so I never serve them to him. Why would I? He hates them!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 24 May, 2023 12:57 pm
@Barry2021,
Barry2021 wrote:

How do you deal with a picky eater as an adult?

Here's my questions, how do you deal with an adult who claims to not like certain things? ... She never ventures out to try anything new. She was never big on Mexican dishes when we first met and anytime I'd suggest going to a place called On The Border she would just cringe.

Why did you make this dish? I don't understand. You're completely tone-deaf. How nice of you to make her a dish she would likely cringe at.

And you don't 'deal' with picky eaters. You leave them alone.
Barry2021

Reply Wed 24 May, 2023 02:43 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Barry2021 wrote:

How do you deal with a picky eater as an adult?

Here's my questions, how do you deal with an adult who claims to not like certain things? ... She never ventures out to try anything new. She was never big on Mexican dishes when we first met and anytime I'd suggest going to a place called On The Border she would just cringe.

Why did you make this dish? I don't understand. You're completely tone-deaf. How nice of you to make her a dish she would likely cringe at.

And you don't 'deal' with picky eaters. You leave them alone.

Because had you read the entire quote and not just highlighted certain phrases from it you would have seen that I said she cringed when I mentioned going to On The Border but when I took her to Mi Pueblo SHE LOVED IT. That's one of our favorite restaurants now. It's not that she hates Mexican, she just hated Mexican from that one restaurant. And no, she's never said she doesn't eat burritos until now.

Sorry for me to wanna try something new.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Picky eaters!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 11:32:11