Does anyone here use the YouTube Tv App? I’ve run into a weird glitch

snood

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 07:11 am
I’ve been using it exclusively to watch tv ever since I divorced myself from the big evil expensive Time-Warner/ Spectrum cable tv company some 7 years ago. I was paying hundreds of dollars to watch tv and stream videos, and the prices went up all the time.

YouTube tv has been good, but they have their very weak points. For instance, non-existent customer service. They are one of the worst cases of a company referring you to an endless loop of robot chats and outdated community forums, and you can’t hardly get any help.

Lately ( 4 days now) out of the blue, I started getting this big error message right in the middle of the screen, when I tried to watch tv. It says “YouTube TV is not available in this country” Suddenly, after 7 years of watching from my home location in Durham, NC, they have decided that I am not here, but in another country.

I know about VPNs, but they are for someone legitimately outside his country. I haven’t moved from Durham. The tv app was there one day- gone the next. I went into settings to make sure my home location was the same. I cleaned out my cache. I signed-out of the app, and signed back in. I restarted the laptop several times. Nothing “YouTube TVs not available in this country”

Does anyone have any expertise or experience that might help me get my TV watching back?

I wanted to mention: whatever this is, it hasn’t effected my YouTube tv watching on my IPhone. It’s my same account, and for all these years I could always switch back and forth between laptop and tv.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 374 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 07:45 am
@snood,
When you say you 'signed out and logged back in', did you delete it then reinstall it? That might be the only way - start over. Failing that, call Apple Care - they may have heard of this.
snood

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 08:09 am
@Mame,
Well it’s really a website, not a proper ‘App’ - so I don’t think I can actually delete and reinstall it, like you could an app on my phone. Thanks for the Apple Care suggestion. My laptop is not an Apple product. Don’t they only service Apple stuff?
Mame

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 08:26 am
@snood,
Yes, I believe so. What you're experiencing is weird. I don't think it's your computer; it's the website. How annoying.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 09:31 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

I know about VPNs, but they are for someone legitimately outside his country.

That's literally not true. There's more than one reason (to avoid censors) to use VPNs. Possibly your antivirus software has a new VPN feature that's somehow turned on. I get error messages sometimes trying to stream Netflix and Hulu (both balking at VPN's being active). Some new browsers even have their own VPN features as well.
snood

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 10:00 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks. Any suggestions for how I can watch YouTube tv again?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 10:10 am
@snood,
I'm swinging wildly here. Look into what browser you're currently using on your laptop. Is it up to date (the latest version)? Try that. On the one hand, Google Chrome auto updates the browser.

One - attempt is to just try streaming on another browser. If you use Chrome, then try Microsoft Edge. Or another third party.

Make sure your internet service provider isn't also helpfully adding a VPN feature to router.

Check if your antiviral software has any new features you might have overlooked. Turn them off if it looks like they might be blocking your access to the service.

snood

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 10:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Okay! Thanks! I’ll try these…
Mame

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 06:18 pm
@snood,
So, did you manage to fix it?
(asking for a friend)
snood

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 06:45 pm
@Mame,
No! And I was able to go into the settings on my laptop and actually uninstall and then reinstall it. And it STILL is acting like I’m trying to watch from outside the country.

It’s weird because I still am using YouTube tv on my phone just as before. I’ve always had it on both my laptop and phone. Then a few days ago, I open it up on my laptop and there’s a big error message box in the middle of the screen saying “YouTube TV’s not available in this country”.

It’s maddening. And even more so because they don’t even have human customer service.
Mame

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 08:00 pm
@snood,
I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhrDLIvru_M

and this:

Restart your computer. Update your browser to the latest version. Clear your browser's cache and cookies. Try to use YouTube from a Chrome browser.

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9klsq7PUruQ

How frustrating.
0 Replies