The Holy Grail of King Arthur

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:06 am
Was King Arthurs Sword a Holy Grail ? What does it mean, that he took it from the stone ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,394 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 01:28 pm
Hi, Algis,

This is a curious question, as most people interpret the removal of excalibur as the sign of aptitude for leadership. Obviously you are equating it with the holy grail as symbolizing what every successful leader hopes to attain, gentle firmness. Odd that Arthur spent much of his life searching for the holy grail while his kingdom fell into desolation.

What do you think?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 07:05 pm
You can have a great deal of pundit fun playing Freudian analysis. Obviously Excalibur is a phallic symbol. Equally obviously, the Holy Grail, a cup is female.

Had these two great sources of power combined, might Camelot have survived?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 07:15 pm
My Gawd, It's Noddy, the closet intellectual Shocked
My dear friend, it is so good to see you. How long must we suffer for the hoary errors of Freud? Laughing

Sorry, Algis. Just having a little cathexis here. Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:47 pm
Letty--

Greetings! I hope your life is calm--but interesting.

I can't dismiss Freud completely--although "What do women want?" is not the question of an open mind. I've been exposed to children. Little girls wrap things in things. Little boys poke things in things.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was an impromptu ballet by a two year old and a three year old. He was holding a broom handle and she had an empty cracker box.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:53 pm
Well, I must admit this question got me deep into some areas I never thought I'd get into. All this time I thought the grail was a a goblet of some sort, what Jesus was supposed to have drunk from at the Last Supper. But I found this from the Catholic Encyclopedia:

[Holy Grail is] the name of a legendary sacred vessel, variously identified with the chalice of the Eucharist or the dish of the Pascal lamb, and the theme of a famous medieval cycle of romance. In the romances the conception of the Grail varies considerably; its nature is often but vaguely indicated, and, in the case of Chrestien's Perceval poem, it is left wholly unexplained. The meaning of the word has also been variously explained. The generally accepted meaning is that is given by the Cistercian chronicler Helinandus (d. about 1230), who, under the date of about 717, mentions of a vision, shown to a hermit concerning the dish used by Our Lord at the Last Supper, and about which the hermit then wrote a Latin book called "Gradale."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 02:10 pm
Noddy, I don't totally dismiss him either.

Your analogy to the miniature ballet made me laugh out loud.

D'ar,dear. Now that's what I call a defense mechanism of the PhD type. Laughing
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 02:29 pm
Certainly though the branch of an Olive tree does contain water so it to is a vessel of liquid.
0 Replies