Fan fiction story based on The Little Mermaid

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2023 09:53 pm
I was thinking of posting a fan fiction story roughly based on the original 1989 animated version of The Little Mermaid. Not for any sort of profit or gain but simply for the sake of having fun with expressing my own creativity about a film and heroine I have loved since childhood.

I am not sure if I will include all of the characters from the original or not - I guess it would be difficult to do so anyway, as the story might not be more than 3000 words - but I know I will use characters based on Ariel and Eric, with probably an imposing father or father figure like King Triton. I guess I might change their names and maybe even some physical traits a little but make them similar to those of the originals. I was also thinking of breaking up the story into several parts.

I do know it won't fall under the category of fantasy or high fantasy, which is the part I fear might ruffle a few feathers, because I was thinking of approaching a more conventional, modernized version of the original by setting it in the present, in which the main character might not be a literal mermaid but have mermaid-like qualities and live near the beach or something like that but might want to explore big city life a little more, against the wishes if those around her. If I decide to add all the characters, some will be human manifestations of the animal ones.

The storyline will consist of themes that don't stray too far from the original but are executed in a new a different way while still being relatable.

For example the person based on Ariel might want to be a singer but isn't receiving much support, encouragement or validation from others around her, or she might frequently be bullied by others who don't want to see her succeed.

It might be the Eric-like character who is the only person who believes in her and helps her to accomplish her dreams despite all the opposition and jealousy around her.

I also wanted to create a more badassed version of Ariel, maybe like a rebellious biker chick type with a quick-witted sarcastic sense of humor who actually deliberately goes out of her way to flaunt conventions and challenge the status quo. It might be this very attitude that ultimately helps her to achieve all that her heart wants her to go for...and she ends up coming out for the better because of it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 249 • Replies: 0
No top replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fan fiction story based on The Little Mermaid
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 08:36:04