First lines from literature

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:51 am
Question Hi, Can anybody help me with these two first lines from literature. They are
If there was a bishop my mother would have him to tea.
On the day Dai Brainbocs arrived in Shrewsbury Prison, Frank Mephisto sent for him and explained the situation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 978 • Replies: 7
No top replies

syntinen

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:08 am
1) Oscar and Lucinda, by Peter Carey
2) Aberystwyth Mon Amour, by Malcolm Pryce
You could have found these on Google quite easily.
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 02:30 am
Thanks for your help, i had tried Google with all sorts of combinations of the words, and had not had any success, believe me i do a lot of quizzes and thought i knew the options available on Google, but perhaps you know some tricks with it that i have not found yet, so thanks for your help once again.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 05:57 am
Choose the Advanced Search option. That allows you to search for an exact phrase (you can actually do the same thing in ordinary Google by putting the phrase between quotation marks). I put in the phrase "Dai Brainbocs" and the answer came up straight away. Same with "If there was a bishop my mopther would". Simple.
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:19 pm
Thanks i am going to have a go now and see what happens.
0 Replies

palaceben

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 11:24 am
Wrong Answer
I really think if you are going to be so patronising syntinen then perhaps you should check your own answers! And if you feel so hard done by at having to help, then don't bother! Rolling Eyes The Oscar & Lucinda answer is correct, but Googling the Dai Brainbocs one DOESN'T give the correct answer, as he appears in three books by Malcolm Pryce, and Aberystwyth Mon Amour is not the right one. The other two are Last Tango in Aberystwyth and The Unbearable Lightness of Being in Aberystwyth. I do not know which of these latter two is the correct answer, but as I own a copy of Mon Amour I know it isn't this one! Perhaps justaclue should visit his local bookshop and see if they have copies of the other two to check Laughing
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 12:15 pm
Very Happy Thanks palaceben, i shall visit my local bookshop and library and hopefully i will find the answer. As you were so good to help me on that one, how about this first line from another book.
Then the big red bus knocked him down in Fitzjohn's Avenue, the first thing that floated into Eric's mind......
The problem with this sort of question is if you have no idea at all, where do you start?
I have tried this in Google Advanced and not had any luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

justaclue

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 01:40 pm
I believe it is The Unbearable Lightness!!
0 Replies