Poll Burns Night Doing anything special for the big night.

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 04:39 am
How many haggises, (big sausage type dish made from sheep offal) will you be eating, how much neeps and tatties, (mashed potato and swede,) how many drams of single malt, and how many verses of Burns' poetry will you be reading?

I won't be doing any of it.

Haggis isn't very nice, even that from the chipshop and swede is bloody horrible.

I don't drink whisky, and I don't rate Burns' poetry that highly.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 50

Mame

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 08:17 am
@izzythepush,
No, not doing anything at all to celebrate it. Hate swede and haggis and don't care much for Burns.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 08:25 am
@Mame,
What about whisky?
Mame

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 08:26 am
@izzythepush,
Wine. Smile
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 09:02 am
@Mame,
I can't drink thst either. Red wine gives me a splitting headache about twenty minutes after I've drunk it, and as a result I've gone off all of it.
Mame

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 09:27 am
@izzythepush,
I don't drink hard alcohol but my husband does so I've booked a distillery tour for this Friday. He can have all my samples. I'm just curious about how it's made.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 09:42 am
@Mame,
By hard alcohol do you mean spirits?
Mame

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 11:20 am
@izzythepush,
Yes. We know what spirits are but we don't use that term.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 12:49 pm
@Mame,
Hard is very rarely used in that context over here.

I had a (non bacon related,) conversation with Farmerman when he talked about hard cider which is a no brainer over here.

If it's cider or cyder, pronounced zyder, it's always alcoholic, if it's not alcoholic it's either apple juice or an apple flavoured fizzy soft drink.

Even when hard is used in that context it needs to be clarified. Back in the 90s when alcopops became a thing the bottle said hard lemonade with the logo, but under all that it still had to say alcoholic lemonade. If it had just said hardlemonade there would have been confusion.

We use the term soft drink all the time, but for some reason we don't use its antonym, it's always called alcoholic drink, "beer wines and spirits" is the catch all phrase that means all alcohol, not just the above but cider, perry fortified wines and anything else that's sold as alcohol to drink.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 01:06 pm
Going back to Burns Night, it only gets a mention on the news over here.

I don't know about Scotland, I'm sure they go a bit mental, and I understand there's a lot of Scots ancestry in Canada.

It may explain why you are the only one who has commented.

I remeber reading a few years back that Scots ex patriots living in America were unable to get hold of haggis because it fell foul of American food regulations.

I suppose it's for the best.
Mame

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 01:12 pm
@izzythepush,
My city, in fact, is named after a city/town in Scotland, as are many others. My clan is Graham and there are Highland Games all over Canada. But you still couldn't get me to eat haggis.

Apparently you can buy it somewhere here.

My husband's family is Scottish on his dad's side and he loved Robbie Burns. I found a couple of older copies of some of his works that I bought him one year. He was so pleased. It was his 90th b'day.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 01:27 pm
Haggis? I had to use the google again. I'm not eating that Razz

Quote:
Traditionally, haggis takes the chopped or minced 'pluck' of a sheep (heart, liver and lungs) and mixes it with coarse oatmeal, suet, spices (nutmeg, cinnamon and coriander are common), salt, pepper and stock.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 01:36 pm
@izzythepush,
who wants to eat foul smelling haggis when wve got burrito all over, nd strombolis. I drink dealcoholized beer now and I Love ST Pauli Girl NA. Most of these "Artisinal" beers are made jut for the alcohol contnt which can be as high as 19% (eg DOGFISH HEAD IPA). I used to like a smoother ALe like Chesterfield but Ive gonemostly abstemious. I only use a dry sherry for cooking SCAWLLOPS
As far as poetry, give me Frost, Kipling, Shelley and Service
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 01:37 pm
@izzythepush,
what the hell is Swede? sounds toxic
Mame

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 02:00 pm
@farmerman,
I think it's a parsnip
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 02:17 pm
@farmerman,
It's no way near as nice as a parsnip.

We used to call swede turnip before we got the nice french turnips.

I think the Americans called them rutabagas, but that sounds like a catch all term.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 02:22 pm
@jcboy,
A while ago I was working in an office with a Scotsman and an Indian lady.

She asked him what a haggis was and he went into grwat detsil describing all the horrible bits before ending with oats.

She replied, "It's quite healthy then."

We were both gobsmacked. Nobody had ever reacted like that before.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 02:27 pm
@izzythepush,
Ah... is it the yellow or white one? We have rutabagas (yellow) and turnips (white with purple). Your swede is the yellow rutabaga.

I don't like parsnips unless they're mashed with carrots.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 02:32 pm
@Mame,
My parsnips are roasted with honey.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2023 03:35 pm
@izzythepush,
The Scots like to push the fiction that the haggis is actually a native animal to children and credulous tourists.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0262/2931/articles/haggishunting.jpg?v=1605251127

1. Forums
  2. » Poll Burns Night Doing anything special for the big night.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 02:03:03