Dinner last night.

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 07:58 am
While reading this, keep in mind that I dislike when someone uses hyperbole to get across a point that could just as easily be made using non-hyperbolic language.

Having said that, though, last night I made the greatest, most delicious Philly cheese steak sandwich that has ever been made by anyone, anywhere at any time since the sandwich was invented in the late 1930’s.

It was magnificent and I ate the whole thing myself. (Nancy does not like them.)

All this, despite the fact that I am a GIANTS fan…and think Philly sucks…big time.
https://content.sportslogos.net/logos/7/166/full/wht7ewlnxvejpqh8axa0bhtyi.png
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 220 • Replies: 3
No top replies

hightor

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 08:23 am
@Frank Apisa,
Interesting! I had a pretty good Philly cheese steak two weeks ago – delicious, but it was a bit too greasy. I like that you made it yourself.

As for me, I've been on a quest to find the best Italian sandwich in eastern Maine. And on Tuesday, returning from a brief international trip to Campobello Island, I found it at Finelli's in Ellsworth, or at least what would qualify as "the best yet". The ingredients were so fresh-tasting, it had sufficient heat from the peppers, the cold cuts were real Italian charcuterie, the bread was delicious and oil-rich. It was just excellent, best I've had since I used to go to Manganaro's on Ninth Avenue in NYC back in the '70s. But the search isn't over – word has it that there's a place in Bangor that might be worth checking out: Jersey Mike's – the name alone is enough to justify the hour and a half drive!
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2023 09:04 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Interesting! I had a pretty good Philly cheese steak two weeks ago – delicious, but it was a bit too greasy. I like that you made it yourself.

As for me, I've been on a quest to find the best Italian sandwich in eastern Maine. And on Tuesday, returning from a brief international trip to Campobello Island, I found it at Finelli's in Ellsworth, or at least what would qualify as "the best yet". The ingredients were so fresh-tasting, it had sufficient heat from the peppers, the cold cuts were real Italian charcuterie, the bread was delicious and oil-rich. It was just excellent, best I've had since I used to go to Manganaro's on Ninth Avenue in NYC back in the '70s. But the search isn't over – word has it that there's a place in Bangor that might be worth checking out: Jersey Mike's – the name alone is enough to justify the hour and a half drive!

Jersey Mike's is doing lots of TV advertising these days, Hightor. And from what I hear, they slice their meats and cheeses while you wait, rather than using pre-sliced ingredients. Good move on their part.

You mentioned the bread. One of the reasons this particular Philly steak was so great is that I finally changed the bread I was using. I was in a hurry yesterday, so I "settled" on a "hero roll" from a store I don't usually use. It turned out to be the perfect roll for the Philly steak. I usually use a sesame covered roll that I use for lots of different sandwiches I make, but because of the time constraints, I made the switch. Lucky move. This was a plain roll...and soft. I'm Italian, so I normally like a crispy bread, but for a Philly steak, soft is a much better choice.

I really do not like to buy Philly steaks out from vendors or deli's. They all overcook the peppers and onions...which I much prefer with a bit of bite to them. I just sauté them for a short while...and then add the finely sliced beef.

Ummm!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2023 07:00 am
When I lived in Florida the best place for subs was Firehouse, the meat was never fried it was steamed, they have a few locations in CA but the closest one is in Anaheim.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dinner last night.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 12:05:16