Fla Orangs are the best

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 03:13 pm
When they pick oragnges in Fla, they are ell into bing ripe so they are sweet ans flavorful. California orangs are picked GREEN an ripened in the train using ethyelne gas dosing. Consquently getting a sweetCalifornia orange is almost impossible unless you hav a small grove and liv in California.
e have a few Caki oragnes that ave used for juice an toay I got a box of Indian River Florida NAVELS. They are excellent .

re th Calif bLOOD ORANGES any better?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 533 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Mame

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 05:18 pm
@farmerman,
I don't know what you consider 'better', but I don't generally like blood oranges because the pulp is so much bigger. Never really tastes like an orange to me - the taste is so much more diluted. And being in Canada, all we get are imported, so it's a pig in a poke when you buy one. Sometimes they're miles of skin and pith with a dried out pulp; very rarely are they juicy and tasty. I hardly ever buy oranges as a result. I envy you.
roger

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 05:34 pm
Just an opinion, but Fl oranges are best for juice; California for eating.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2022 06:47 pm
@farmerman,
I have some oranges on my tree and they're really good and I live in California. So there you have it! Very Happy

I love blood oranges too! The best oranges and blood oranges come from Israel. Well, oranges from Valencia, Spain, are the very best too.
Mame

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2022 11:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
Send me one for Christmas? Smile
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 03:51 am
@Mame,
I try to drink apple juice instead of orange because of the environment, not always successful but overall I drink more apple juice.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 04:02 am
@izzythepush,
Me thinks you're confusing apple juice with cider there Izzy.

Merry Chrimbo.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 04:26 am
@eurocelticyankee,
No I'm not.

I lived in Somerset, I'm very familiar with scrumpy.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 05:18 am
@izzythepush,
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 11:30 am
@CalamityJane,
when I liv in Stockton Ca, e hhas two orange trees, a navel and a valencia. hen lft to ripen they too wre every bit a good a FLA. The poblem is that Calif growers, whn shipping fruit ast, pick m green and ripen them on the train an in markt storage. They use ethylne gas an th fruit nver fullyd evelops it sweetness.

Its nothing to do with a variety, its all in picking an markting. Just lik Calif strawberries, they never ripen an if you buy em in the markets back ast, they too are kins crappy tasting with patchs of white on the berries

Have merry Christmas Clamity
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 11:34 am
@Mame,
we always buy a case of Fla Navels for Christmas. They ar picked mature and are hipped by air (Two days max elivery).
Calif , becauser they are pikd green nver develop the best flavor. They stay sour to me (xcept when I livd there and couls pick em ripe off the tree.

They also DYE the calif Navels a fake orange color Fla oranges look natural

Merry Christmas to you
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 11:39 am
@izzythepush,
I love hard cir. The brands are uaually more lik soda. Artisanal cier fro New Englan i the best in US. Im not sur how yours tasts. Ive never had a glass of UK cider. Are the apples less sweet like we use here?

Mrry Christmas to you and your family
izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2022 11:44 am
@farmerman,
I don't know what your cider is like, but a lot of the apple trees in Somerset are very old, the varieties go way back.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 11:28 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Send me one for Christmas? Smile

Mine are all gone! If I don't remove them from the tree the animals (opossum, coyotes, raccoons) will get them.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 11:29 am
@farmerman,
You might be right, our fruit leave the state while not ripe yet. I do buy strawberries from the growers directly at their fruit stands and they're just delicious, but buying them in the store is a hit and miss situation.

Belated happy Christmas too and for 2023 all the best wishes!!
izzythepush

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 12:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
Our strawberries are incredible.

They are so good when they're in season you can tell the difference.

Not saying that's the case for anything else mind.
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 01:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Our season is in February and we have strawberry fields (forever) inland where I usually buy them right from the field. So delicious and juicy and sweet, but it did spoil me and I won't buy from the stores anymore.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 05:50 pm
I don't like blood oranges. Well, never dared tasting one. Too creepy.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 05:55 pm
It's been some years now, that I get disappointed by fruits like blueberries, strawberries, rasberries. They don't taste sweet anymore. It might be because they're GMO? Sometimes the texture is weird too.
coluber2001

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2022 07:57 pm
Florida sweet orange trees are grafted onto sour orange rootstocks. I believe it has to do with the nematodes in the soil.

However, birds will spread the seeds of the sweet oranges and the seeds will revert back to a sour orange fruit. I know that because there are a lot of these orange trees growing in the state parks wild. They are extremely sour and impossible to eat, and they make your teeth extremely sensitive. I learned from experience.

You will also find escaped grapefruit trees that produce a wonderful fruit.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fla Orangs are the best
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 12:52:36