Are driverless cars better drivers?

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 11:17 am
Driverless cars are on the horizon. One advantage of driverless cars is that they are, generally, safer, better drivers.

Driverless cars will not be programmed to break the law. They will not go above the speed limit, and they will not drive through red lights nor even yellow lights.

They will not follow too closely, drive faster than the traffic, weave in and out, nor change lines without signaling.

They will never hit pedestrians nor bicycles. Neil deGrasse Tyson jokingly said children could go out into a five-lane city freeway and play softball, and the cars would just stop. Bicyclists could safely ride on city streets, even streets without designated bicycle lanes without being hit, and pedestrians could negotiate city streets without fear of being hit.

There will be no drinking under the influence of drugs or alcohol. There will be no road rage, nor any emotional state or distracted driving to interfere with safe driving. Driverless cars will be 100% concentrated on driving.

That's the good news. The better news is that any driver can learn to drive as safely as a driverless car by taking a defensive driver course.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 364 • Replies: 12
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 01:48 pm
Scotty is hard for me to follow without closed captioning.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2022 02:40 pm
@coluber2001,
I'll trust it when I can carry it home.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2022 07:05 pm
@coluber2001,
Yeah, but... do they tell the driver when to gas up? Or know why the engine light is on? Can they lock and unlock the doors? Do they know where you put your car keys? How does it remove the snow and ice? How does it refill the wiper fluid or put air in the tires?

Cool

Don't mind me - I just got used to the continuous beeping when the seatbelt isn't done up. I hope to never have a more advanced car which you have to program to get into.
roger

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2022 08:28 pm
@Mame,
Some cars start whining when you drift over a lane marker. Did you know that if you leave the turn signal on, it quits bleating at you?

Not a suggestion, you understand. Just an observation.
engineer

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 08:30 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

The better news is that any driver can learn to drive as safely as a driverless car by taking a defensive driver course.

That's not better news. Plenty of people take defensive driver courses and quickly discard what they learn. Lots of people glance at their phone or the radio when in traffic, taking their eyes off the road. The safety benefit of driverless cars will come when just about all cars are automated. As long as there are wildcard humans out there, there will be accidents.
Mame

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 03:00 pm
@roger,
My husband's car bleeps if he crosses a line without the indicator. No, I didn't know that about the turn signal. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to get a newer car - I really just want a basic one (ok, power windows and locks are good) like the old flip-phones.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 03:12 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

coluber2001 wrote:

The better news is that any driver can learn to drive as safely as a driverless car by taking a defensive driver course.

That's not better news. Plenty of people take defensive driver courses and quickly discard what they learn. Lots of people glance at their phone or the radio when in traffic, taking their eyes off the road. The safety benefit of driverless cars will come when just about all cars are automated. As long as there are wildcard humans out there, there will be accidents.

The point I'm trying to make is that a lot of people don't realize that they are bad drivers themselves but point the finger at other people. Driverless cars will be better drivers, but everybody has the ability to be as good and safe a driver if they want.
roger

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2022 05:19 pm
@coluber2001,

coluber2001 wrote:

The point I'm trying to make is that a lot of people don't realize that they are bad drivers themselves but point the finger at other people. Driverless cars will be better drivers, but everybody has the ability to be as good and safe a driver if they want.

There is that. Like driving on ice and snow, everyone says they know how, but are afraid of 'the other guy'. They guy that says that is the other guy.
coluber2001

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2022 09:02 am
@roger,
It's sort of a reverse of the attitude of, "They'd better watch out for me." to "I'd better watch out for them." That's defensive driving.

Probably most accidents result from being in a hurry, and self-driving cars will never be in a hurry.

I don't drive anymore but rely on public transportation where there is no such thing as being in a hurry.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2022 09:04 am
One feature of driverless cars that I would look forward to is the ability to come out of a bar or tavern or a party completely stoned or drunk, hop into a car, press a few buttons and arrive home without having to drive.
The only danger would be punching in the wrong number, falling asleep, and waking up 200 miles from home.

roger

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2022 02:30 pm
@coluber2001,
Okay, I hadn't thought of that.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2022 04:47 pm
@coluber2001,
Exactly... or pressing Reverse or another inappropriate button.

Another advantage of driverless cars is for when some are afraid to drive in certain conditions. Takes all the worry out of it.

Q: Do these cars recognize sirens or when they're being pulled over by the police?
0 Replies