Happy Thanksgiving!

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 10:31 am
We all do have things for which to be very thankful.

I'm doing the cooking for our family. Only going to be four of us this year. Managed to get an eleven pound turkey...which at the moment is getting crispy skinned in our oven.

Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE HOLIDAY...and I know it is the favorite of many.

Good to yez all.

f.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 348 • Replies: 18
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 12:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
How long do you think you'll be eating leftover turkey for, and will you be having turkey for Christmas too?

Have a lovely time watching the football or whatever. Actually this Friday, it will be the football, England v USA.

I mean it, have a lovely time.
jespah

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 12:27 pm
Happy Thanksgiving! Or, as we like to call it (at times), Happy Precursor to Turkey Soup Day! Smile <3
Mame

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 01:11 pm
Do you brine your turkey? I've done wet brines in the past, but read recently about how a dry brine (just a rub) is preferred, so I think I'll try that this Christmas. You coat it with sugar, salt and seasonings, three days prior to roasting. Sounds interesting. I hope to find a small turkey, too, but it's doubtful.
jespah

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 03:59 pm
@Mame,
Our "small" turkey is 14.6 pounds, and we bought early... So, we'll have a ton o' leftovers.
Mame

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2022 05:31 pm
@jespah,
Yeah, I'll start looking tomorrow. I'm hoping for around 10 lbs... but that may only be a chicken size.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 06:51 am
Being Thankful in all things.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 07:08 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

How long do you think you'll be eating leftover turkey for, and will you be having turkey for Christmas too?

Have a lovely time watching the football or whatever. Actually this Friday, it will be the football, England v USA.

I mean it, have a lovely time.

I love turkey and turkey leftovers...but just for the next day. Then it gets old. But our cats love turkey too...so it does not go to waste.

Saw a terrific, very funny, discussion about "football" (American and the rest of the world) yesterday. It was terrific. Looking forward to todays match. England should kick our ass. We'll see.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 07:12 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving! Or, as we like to call it (at times), Happy Precursor to Turkey Soup Day! Smile <3

Thanks, Jespah. I really do like turkey soup (with lots of barley)...so I am looking forward to that today. And the leftover dinner tonight will be welcome. Then "turkey" will lose some of that luster...and I will probably make some croquets and freeze them. Luckily, I managed to get a reasonably small turkey for my small group.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 07:13 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Do you brine your turkey? I've done wet brines in the past, but read recently about how a dry brine (just a rub) is preferred, so I think I'll try that this Christmas. You coat it with sugar, salt and seasonings, three days prior to roasting. Sounds interesting. I hope to find a small turkey, too, but it's doubtful.

Wet brine for me. Started the brining on Wednesday early...and left it overnight. Tasted great!

You are looking for a turkey kinda late for Thanksgiving, aren'tcha?
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 07:14 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Being Thankful in all things.

Great, Bobsal. May life treat you...and everyone else...as wonderful as possible.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 08:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
I am grateful you and I are getting better than we deserve!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 08:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
Or early for Christmas.

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 09:02 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Or early for Christmas.

Yeah, Izzy. Hadn't thought of that. You folks over there often have goose for Christmas, right? Or is that folklore?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 09:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Depends, goose was the staple in Victorian times, now people normally have goose or turkey for Christmas.

I'm thinking of doing a nut roast this year, we often have vegetarians/vegans over and that should make it a bit easier, but I'm not decided yet.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 02:04 pm
Not everyone likes turkey.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 02:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
We don't bother with turkey at Thanksgiving so I'm looking early for Christmas because I want a small one.
jcboy

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 02:17 pm
@Mame,
You know we didn't make it to Tampa this year, my sister in laws boyfriend wanted them to go to his parents house in Miami for dinner. So I bought an 8lb. turkey breast, had it with mashed potatoes gravy oyster stuffing green beans and rolls. And of course pumpkin pie Cool I've never been a fan of turkey but I do like a turkey sandwich the next day.
Mame

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2022 03:54 pm
@jcboy,
Yeah, turkey sandwich with dressing (stuffing) and cranberry jelly! Yum. We don't eat much pie but I made pecan tarts for the first time the other day for friends and neighbours. Boy, are they sweet! Too sweet for me and hubby. Ick. I'd much rather have pumpkin.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Happy Thanksgiving!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:19:11