Difference between the sentences

izzythepush

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 06:19 am
@tanguatlay,
I imagine it was on another thread where you asked a similar question.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 08:04 am
@tanguatlay,
No, I've done enough research for you. Just google "Use of Commas" and many, many websites will appear. Read them to find the answer to you question before you come here. They're very good sites. I used them when teaching ESL.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 07:30 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

Mame wrote:

You should read at least one of those Comma links I sent you before coming here. Commas are sometimes used as an aside, as parentheses, to bracket (as Izzy said) information that's not critical to the sentence.

If I am correct, I have not received any comma links. If I am not wrong, would you be so kind as to send them to me? Many thanks!

With no response from you, I have to conclude that I didn't receive the comma links.
hightor

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 07:46 am
@tanguatlay,
If it's easier to ask native speakers here, then just continue as you have been doing. I suspect that, were you to read the links about commas, you'd still have questions that are more easily answered by simply asking a native speaker. But Mame does have a point; there are many sites which explain the use of commas – or attempt to. Here's one:

https://eslgrammar.org/comma-rules/

0 Replies

Mrknowspeople

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2022 03:50 pm
@tanguatlay,
I believe a big difference. The comma on either side of Mary is to say that a deeper connection exists not about or for Mary. For the reader is the audience and audience is more than one. Thus, the writer is identifying with an intimate section of the audience. Thus, it is My sister, Mary, is clever.
Identified are three separate parties:

"MY" who is HIS sister?
"MARY" who is HIS mary?
"CLEVER" who is HIS Clever?

Your word usage is unfortunate or fortunate:
You selection, electable, is special.

I am speaking to a party outside of you or me whom I have already had extensive communication with and they happen to be very dear to me. I am telling them that electable is known as a term and applicable in a very rare but non-unknown way. Euphoric writing can be for me.
This is Mark's Law and that is the greatest law.
0 Replies

Mrknowspeople

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2022 03:52 pm
@hightor,
Thank you - I know the comma to be primarily used for that.
0 Replies

Mrknowspeople

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2022 03:54 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
That is so truest.
https://gifdb.com/gif/playful-chibi-zero-two-oyrheyl2jkufcdta.html
0 Replies

Mrknowspeople

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2022 03:56 pm
@steve reid,
My formatting is messed up. Are you saying that it could mean that the "Mary" presentation was to say that the one called Mary is neither clever or sister per he own of "MY"?
steve reid

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2022 02:33 am
@Mrknowspeople,
Mrknowspeople wrote:

My formatting is messed up. Are you saying that it could mean that the "Mary" presentation was to say that the one called Mary is neither clever or sister per he own of "MY"?

Comma's cause the reader to pause, they break the flow and weaken a bond between words, this allows different interpretations of the following text

Without the 1st comma, "My" has a sister called "Mary", it is unambiguous
With the 1st comma, I know "My" has a sister but the comma allows for "Mary" to be a different sister

Without the 2nd comma (with or without the 1st comma) we are told "Mary" is clever
With the 2nd comma, the pause allows "is clever" to be interpreted as a question

So yes, with both comma's present, Mary may or may not be "My's" sister or clever
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:10:08