Should it be "that sell and maintain" instead?

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 12:35 am
Emperor Watch & Jewellery Singapore is proud to be part of the worldwide network of Official Rolex Retailers that sells and maintains Rolex watches. Shop in comfort and with confidence at our Rolex Singapore boutiques located at Wisma.

Should it be "that sell and maintain" instead?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 306 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Mame

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 08:54 am
@tanguatlay,
If I remember correctly, a company is considered a collective pronoun (singular entity), in which case the sentence is correct.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 11:27 am
Brits would write, "that sell and maintain," seeing as how, in general, they treat collective nouns as plurals.
Mame

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2022 01:13 pm
@InfraBlue,
Yes... I don't know where Tang lives or which English he's learning.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 08:28 am
@Mame,
She lives in Singapore, and has a tendency to ask the same question repeatedly.

Certain posters no longer engage with her for that reason.

My biggest problem is with her questioning. She seems to be very much in the camp of prescriptive grammar and seems to look through newspapers and other periodicals for minor grammatical errors.

If she had asked Could it be... I wouldn't have a problem.
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 09:23 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

If I remember correctly, a company is considered a collective pronoun (singular entity), in which case the sentence is correct.

Thanks!
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 09:24 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Brits would write, "that sell and maintain," seeing as how, in general, they treat collective nouns as plurals.

Thanks.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 09:26 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Thanks.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 09:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

She lives in Singapore, and has a tendency to ask the same question repeatedly.

Certain posters no longer engage with her for that reason.

My biggest problem is with her questioning. She seems to be very much in the camp of prescriptive grammar and seems to look through newspapers and other periodicals for minor grammatical errors.

If she had asked Could it be... I wouldn't have a problem.

As a non-native, I do not know what is prescriptive and what isn't. And whenever I come across constructions which seem incorrect, I will ask in this forum. The native member who responds to my post will tell me whether what I say is correct or not. In this way, I notice my English has improved. When I first joined as a member, it took me a long time to create a post. Now, thanks to all the helpful members, writing a post is no longer takes up a lot of time.
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 10:13 am
Now, thanks to all the helpful members, writing a post no longer takes up a lot of time.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 10:20 am
@tanguatlay,
I'm glad it has improved and also glad you have explained some of your questions. With regards to this one, either one will do, regardless of where you were born.

English language has been evolving since Day 1 (i.e. we no longer speak as Shakespeare did), and these days some 'incorrect' grammar is widely used. The use of "him and I went..." is wrong but I can't go a day without hearing it. It's jarring on the ears, but I realize I'm just going to have to get used to it. This example, and others, happen in written form, as well. Many journalists, authors and news anchors say "comprised of", for example.

But your questions about commas are unnecessary. Not only have many people responded, but I believe I have sent you at least three websites which clearly explain its usage -- which is why I no longer answer those queries.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 10:29 am
@tanguatlay,
Prescriptive is the approach that there is only one correct way of using grammar.

Descriptive instead looks at how people actually talk, as grammar/language changes over time.

As Mame has already pointed out, we no longer speak in Shakespearean English.

I think you need to adopt amore flexible descriptive approach.

I have not answered some of your threads that use the term should because that implies there is only one way.

If you used could instead, I could say yes, that is another way, as correct as the original, because language is not set in stone and there's more than one way to say the same thing.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 10:34 am
German Comedian Henning Wehn talks about his experiences with English grammar.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should it be "that sell and maintain" instead?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:50:45