****** HOTEL Rating : Depending on what ??

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 05:10 am
Hi,

I would like to know whats the criteria to rate a Hotel ? depending on what it says this hotel is a **** star hotel, or a 5 star Hotel or even a 7 star hotel ? .

why some websites rating some hotel a 3 star hotel, and another site rating it as 4 star hotel, or even 5 star hotel ?

is it depending on names ? famous ? budjet ?

I would know please ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 810 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 05:28 am
Each rating organization has different criteria as to how it rates its hotels. For instance, I am now looking at a Mobil Guide. In the beginning of their book, they list the criteria by which they rate the hotels.

Quote:
You will find a key to the rating categories, * through ***** on the inside front cover. All establishments in the book are recommended. Even a * clean, convenient, limited service, usually providing a basic informal experience. Rating categories reflect both the features the property offers and its quality in relation to similar establishments.

Some organizations have a 1-4 star rating, others 1-5. The best thing to do is to check out the criteria by which they rate the establishment. I have noticed that AAA will often give 3 stars to establishments that Mobil awards 2. The highest award that these companies give to hotels, are often reserved for a very few hotels, those which are extremely outstanding.

BTW, welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

abdullah10

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 05:45 am
Thanks!
Thanks Alot for your reply Smile

Do you think that this rating suppose to be done by an well organization. and suppose to re-rate each hotel each 3-5 years ? . like what (ISO9001) did.

some hotels like inter-contiental are in very bad status, old carpet, old furniture, a broken equipments etc. is this right ?? to rate a hotel or a company as 5 star hotel, and it disappoint their customers!!

do you agree with me, that this industry are need to be well organize ?

Thank you .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 05:51 am
I really don't know how often the organizations re-rate, but I understand your disappointment. What you might want to do if you are going to an expensive hotel, is to check out the ratings in a number of places.

As far as old furniture goes, there are classy places, where one if its features is the antique "feel" of the place. There is no excuse for broken equipment in any, let alone a high class hotel.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 08:04 am
Some times so rating organizations simply rate the hotels on what they have to offer/what facilities are available at the hotel. For example you can stay at a brand new hotel where everything is spotless and they have incredible service and be rated two stars, if this hotel only offers the basic room with TV/cable, but no room service, pool, etc. You could also stay at a hotel that has an indoor/outdoor pool, room service, a couple restaurants, spa services, etc. They are rated 4 stars even though the rooms are old with ratty carpets, the bathrooms need to be redone and the service is horrible.

It is very important to read and understand how the ratings are obtained. You could also read reviews of hotels to get a better picture about other things. Epinions.com have reviews written by users of the website and about their experiences. I wouldn't base my stay by one opinion as these are usually written by people who stayed maybe once. But you could guide it by reading several and see what the overall feel is. I am sure there are other resources to find review hotels rather than ratings - which I feel is better to get a feel for how a hotel really is to stay at.
0 Replies