mp3 and mp4

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 03:07 pm
I've seen some .mp4 files recently, can anyone tell me what's the difference between .mp3 and .mp4 files? Is mp4 just a more compressed version of mp3, or are they totally different? If it's similar to .mp3 files, is there an audio player that plays .mp4 files?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,081 • Replies: 7
No top replies

OperaGhost

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 10:35 pm
As far as I know, the only music program that uses mp4's are itunes, so maybe the ipod will play them? just a guess.
0 Replies

lil cat luver

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 02:33 pm
ok, thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 07:39 pm
mp4 is very widely used, sometimes refered to as AAC (Advanced Audio Coding ) and is much prefered over mp3.

mp3's sound quality is much worse than the mp4 (listening to an mp3 recording you will immediately notice a loss in bass for example) , basically the mp4 compresses the data more efficiently not more as was suggested.

When using either mp3 or mp4(AAC) the sampling rate you use to compress the data is critical to the sound quality. Natuarlly the higher the sampling rate , the better the sound quality , but also the larger the file size. Some have suggested to have good sound on mp3's you need about 192Khz sampling, whereas the AAC can achieve that at around 128Khz thus perhaps reducing file sizes.
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 09:12 pm
Thanks Michael, I didn't realize that. Smile
0 Replies

lil cat luver

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2005 11:31 pm
Thank you Michael, do you know of any programs that can play mp4 files except ipods? I'd really like to hear what they sound like =)
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 11:47 am
Hi,
Athough consumers are playing with Mp3, where possible the manufactures have switched to Mp4 . Quicktime uses Mp4 and is a part of MPEG4 , a link to apples page follows MPEG4

In the article to save you reading you can see
Quote:
To ensure that different products that use MPEG-4 each implement the standard in the same way, Apple, together with Cisco, IBM, Kasenna, Philips and Sun Microsystems, formed the Internet Streaming Media Alliance (ISMA). Other participants include AOL Time Warner, Dolby Laboratories, Hitachi, HP, Fujitsu and 20 other companies.

Those companies are all heavyweights.

Lastly , in case you are in doubt and would like to find some end products. Gracenote is a company which while not well known provides the base for ipod , itunes , Napster , Creative, Yamaha...just about eveyone. Heres a link to thier software , you can have a look around. They nearly all have AAC (MP4) as an option.