"Hugs don't pay the bills!"

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 09:11 am
Right now my wife and I are in the middle of a major disagreement. For some time now we have been struggling to keep our heads above water and pay bills. Yes we both work but with inflation going up and the cost of everything rising salaries are staying the same. We would pay bills 50/50. That worked out fine for a while but now it is not working for me. We have a joint account but that pretty much stays on zero from one month till the next. We really only use it to pay our rent and cell phone bill each month. When those bills are due we both put half into it and pay the bill. We, as a married couple, have never put everything into one account. My wife doesn't want it that way. Why? Because when she was married the first time her husband was a drugged out alcoholic and was always in trouble with the law. She said that she would come home some days and he'd pawned her car or their living room furniture was gone where he'd sold it for drugs. She has told me on several occasions that no one will ever have control over her money again. For several months now I've been trying to tell her that 50/50 on the bills is no longer working for me. I'd get paid then pay bills and do a few things around the house grocery wise and by Monday I'm down to less than $100 and that has to last me for 2 weeks till I get paid again. Not to mention that I haven't even put gas in my truck. My wife, on the other hand thinks 50/50 works for her because she is left with extra money each payday. We both work from home and several times a week she'll get food delivered for her lunch while I'm in the kitchen frying an egg to eat or doing leftovers from the night before. My wife has to go every morning and get her a cappuccino from the gas station down thee street. However, she claims to not drink coffee. I use to do that. I'd go every morning to Starbucks or McDonald's and get a large coffee until I sat down and figured out how much I was spending. My mom bought me a cheap coffee maker so I started brewing a pot of coffee everyday. So now I'm not spending money of coffee nor am I wasting gas going to get it.

In looking at how we do things for the past few weeks I've been telling my wife the 50/50 arrangement is no longer working because I'm usually broke 2 or 3 days after my pay day once bills are paid. I suggested we start putting all but $200 into the joint account from our paychecks and pay bills that way. So if I bring home $1000, $800 goes into the joint and I'll keep $200 into my personal account for whatever I want to do with it. My wife refuses to do that because she doesn't want to be limited to just $200 from one paycheck till the next and she said she was not going to cut out going to get coffee. I look at it this way. When bills are getting behind and you're trying to get yourself on a budget or just a better way of paying then you need to tighten the belt a little and cut back on some things. She's refusing to budge on my suggestion but she won't throw out a suggestion of her own either. Her suggestion is to just leave things as they are because that works for her. How can you sleep at night knowing you have money to do what you want but your spouse is having to borrow gas money? My wife makes more than me plus she can get OT on her job from time to time. I don't. If my manager sees I'm going to have more than 40 hours a week he'll send me an email telling me to clock out 15 minutes early today. Just this past Tues, the 2 day of the week, he told me to clock out 20 minutes early because as of the end of the day I'd have slightly more than 16 hours on the week.

A few weeks ago my wife's cousin's daughter reached out to her telling her/us that her dad was throwing her mom, my wife's cousin, a surprise birthday dinner in our city and a really nice restaurant. They live about an hour away from us and she wanted to know if we could be there as a surprise. At that time we said yes. This a a rooftop restaurant with views over looking our city and for two people the bill could easily run over $100. We alternate nights who cooks and since the birthday dinner is tomorrow night, which is my night to cook or pay, my wife was expecting me to foot the bill. When I told her I was down to about $12 in my account she looked at me and said, "well, I'm still going." This again is my dilemma. She has more money than me but is not willing to do anything to help readjust our finances. She thinks it's totally okay that we have separate budgets and I just need to budget better.

But here's the kicker. This is goes back to the title of my post. Anytime I want to discuss finances with my wife she automatically changes the subject to her emotional needs not being met. I don't hug her enough. I don't give her enough kisses. I don't cuddle with her at night anymore. I'm sorry but when you're worried about paying the power bill or internet bill so you can continue to work from home the last thing on my mind is holding her hand while we're sitting on the sofa watching TV. She never wants to discuss finances but loves to say how she's not feeling loved. I'm sorry but I do not see how hugs and affection are going to solve our financial issues. And if she's saying if I hugged her more then she'd help out more that to me constitutes a hostage/ransom situation. "Unless I start getting the affection I want / deserve then I'm going to hold back on helping to pay the bills." Do you deserve hugs and affection when you sound more like you want to just be roommates and only contribute half of everything? I can give you 20 hugs a day but is that going to make you come up off more money? And then after a while are you going to think "is he hugging me because he wants to or because the water bill is due and he doesn't have his half this month?" I say it all he time that I'd rather be broke as long as the bills are paid compared to having money in my account and something is about to be cut off. But I refuse to keep staying broke when my wife, my partner, is sitting on money to order Grubhub or Postmates food deliveries, got get her coffee every morning, or just to go get her hair and nails done every few weeks. "Every woman gets her hair and nails done so I'm not going to stop that." Ok, well we can be sitting in the dark with your beautiful new hairstyle or your gel nail polish.

Am I wrong here? Should I just continue to pay half of the bills then just start asking her for gas money or to foot the bill when we go out to eat every time? When she orders her lunch to be delivered tell her to order me something too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 343 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Mame

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 10:15 am
Honestly, Barry... I think you should move out. You don't sound happy and you can't afford to live there. Go find a room somewhere. Or get another job that pays more, or a second job. Your wife is not going to budge. I have no idea why she doesn't see you as a completely different person that her first husband, but it seems that's the case. BTW, adding more money to the joint account is not surrendering control of her income.

You two don't make a great couple. She's extremely needy and you seem cold and distant with her. Why can't you see that?
Barry2021

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 11:04 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Honestly, Barry... I think you should move out. You don't sound happy and you can't afford to live there. Go find a room somewhere. Or get another job that pays more, or a second job. Your wife is not going to budge. I have no idea why she doesn't see you as a completely different person that her first husband, but it seems that's the case. BTW, adding more money to the joint account is not surrendering control of her income.

You two don't make a great couple. She's extremely needy and you seem cold and distant with her. Why can't you see that?

Believe me it didn't start out this way. We use to get along great and all was good. But in the past few years it seems she's dug her heels into the sand and is refusing to budge on anything. How can you not see that you're struggling financially but aren't will to make any changes or adjustments? And you're right, putting the bulk of our incomes into one account doesn't mean I have control over her money. We'll still sit down and decide which bills to pay and how much. What's left over will be added to the next paychecks. Each one of us will still keep $200 in our account for our own use so if you still want to go get your hair or nails done do that with your $200. It may mean you have to cut back a little on the services you get but you can still get pampered some. I can give her a hug or two every day but eventually you're going to start complaining about that because it's gonna be like a routine. I think that if you do something that deserves a hug then you'll get a hug. She doesn't initiate sex because she feels she shouldn't have to. I have to do that to show her I desire her.
Mame

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 11:09 am
Why are you two still together? No sex, few hugs, no agreement on most things, lots of complaining about each other, her and her kids not respecting your wish not to have pot in the house, her racking up $40K on a credit card without your knowledge... why ARE you together? Wouldn't you be happier on your own?
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 11:10 am
@Barry2021,
No.

Her money is her money.

Get a second job if you can't pay your fair share.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 02:19 pm
@Barry2021,
Barry2021 wrote:
I think that if you do something that deserves a hug then you'll get a hug.

I wasn't aware a valid reason had to be given to get a "free" hug from a spouse. Usually, it's because you love someone.

I guess I learned something new today. Hugs are a commodity to be doled out as a reward for a specific behavior.

Go figure...
Barry2021

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2022 08:09 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Barry2021 wrote:
I think that if you do something that deserves a hug then you'll get a hug.

I wasn't aware a valid reason had to be given to get a "free" hug from a spouse. Usually, it's because you love someone.

I guess I learned something new today. Hugs are a commodity to be doled out as a reward for a specific behavior.

Go figure...

I misspoke. My bad and my mistake. I'm not saying she has to do something to deserve or even to get a hug but when you've done nothing but degrade, belittle or talk down to someone for years, or, when your husband is trying to do something to better your situation and all you seem to do is the complete opposite because you just refuse to do anything he suggests then you can't expect someone to just want to give you hugs for no reason. You keep certain aspects of your life a secret to them even about almost 20 years of being together. Every time you see them talking to the member of the opposite sex you think they're up to no good. Case in point, I posted a forum last week that got zero replies about a visitor at our church who has been coming to our services for around a month now. She sat down on our same row a few seats to the right of my wife and so she turned to me and in a sarcastic tone asked me if I knew her. I looked and saw it was the girl who had been coming for a few weeks but I hadn't said much to her other than "welcome to our church". I said no but I asked her why? She turned her head and wouldn't say anything else to me for the rest of the service. This young girl looks to be 24, maybe 25, under 30 for sure. See this is the kind of stuff I get from my wife. I did nothing wrong but got blamed for it. We have to sit in the same room and watch TV together because if she's watching something in the living room and I want to watch something different and go the the bedroom then she thinks I just don't want to be around her. Or when she goes to bed I have to go to bed too. Why? Because she says she can't sleep unless I'm laying next to her. But if I'm not tired then I have to be at that point. And forget about watching TV in the bedroom at that point because now the TV keep her woke. It's just little things like that over time that have just irked me to no end. Every time we go somewhere be it in town or on a road trip we have to drive my SUV because she doesn't want to put the miles on her smaller car. My wife has zero friends, no girlfriends to chat with on the phone or go on girl's night outings, or even "I'm going over to Sheila's for a little while, I'll be back later." Nope, none of that. I'm her only friend so we should do everything together. And since we're both working from home we wake up in the same bed, we are in the same house all day long, we eat together, watch TV together, then go to bed together. I told her I don't ever have the chance to miss her because we're always together. And if I do go out to go visit my other grandkids she's mad I left her at home . . .but when I ask her to go she always says no. Then I get reamed for staying out too long. You feel me? Maybe I've lost that lovey dovey feelings towards her. That doesn't mean I don't still love her. I just don't want to be up under her 24/7.
neptuneblue

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2022 10:54 am
@Barry2021,
In 20 yrs of marriage, Barry, you've taught her how to be just as inflexible and hard to get along with as you are. You refuse to hear her, ignore her wants and needs and generally think she's wrong 100% of the time.

That's no way to live.

Case in point, she hates your church yet you insist on dragging her there every weekend. You express your displeasure that she won't talk or make friends with any of the members. News flash Barry, she doesn't like being there. Stop making her feel bad about it. It's pushy and dominate to think you can make that happen.

She will NEVER co-mingle funds. Why? Because you, again, want to dominate her spending. You keep saying "but she can cut back on nails or hair or coffee or Grub Hub"... Screw that, she works. She earns money. She spends it on how SHE wants to. She pays her half of the bills. Sorry if you're having a hard time, but she isn't.

Almost every scenario you post is you thinking you have a better way than she does. You will not consider for one second she has different wants/needs/desires than you. You've made sure if it's not YOUR way, it's wrong and you'll voice your displeasure about. A LOT of displeasure. The constant harping and griping is over the top.

You refuse to compromise, listen or change. Yet you expect her to.

The first step in solving a problem is recognizing your part in it. And that's just too much for you to acknowledge. Quit your bitching every day and start doing your own changes.
Mame

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2022 10:55 am
Why are you still there??
0 Replies

Bubbles66

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2022 11:01 am
@Barry2021,
Hello Barry. I filled up reading your story of how you have been living.

We all of course only have one life and need to live it the best we can. Of course marriages as relationships have bumps along the way, but what you have been put through isn't living, it is existing.

I know as you say you love your wife, but accept it has been a one-sided relationship for a long time.

I feel it is time to say to your wife you both need a serious chat. And stress you cannot carry on living as you have for this long while, on eggshells too.

Maybe this would be the jolt that your wife needs to realise a marriage is for two people, not just the one to dictate how everything should go.
Barry2021

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2022 03:24 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

In 20 yrs of marriage, Barry, you've taught her how to be just as inflexible and hard to get along with as you are. You refuse to hear her, ignore her wants and needs and generally think she's wrong 100% of the time.

That's no way to live.

Case in point, she hates your church yet you insist on dragging her there every weekend. You express your displeasure that she won't talk or make friends with any of the members. News flash Barry, she doesn't like being there. Stop making her feel bad about it. It's pushy and dominate to think you can make that happen.

She will NEVER co-mingle funds. Why? Because you, again, want to dominate her spending. You keep saying "but she can cut back on nails or hair or coffee or Grub Hub"... Screw that, she works. She earns money. She spends it on how SHE wants to. She pays her half of the bills. Sorry if you're having a hard time, but she isn't.

Almost every scenario you post is you thinking you have a better way than she does. You will not consider for one second she has different wants/needs/desires than you. You've made sure if it's not YOUR way, it's wrong and you'll voice your displeasure about. A LOT of displeasure. The constant harping and griping is over the top.

You refuse to compromise, listen or change. Yet you expect her to.

The first step in solving a problem is recognizing your part in it. And that's just too much for you to acknowledge. Quit your bitching every day and start doing your own changes.

No, I don't drag her to my church. When me and my wife met she actually joined the church that I was born and raised in. I was there all my life until we both soured of it and we started looking for another church. We visited a number of churches until her mom, my mother in law, suggested we go to a church within their denomination. The religion my wife was raised in. We liked it so we joined. This was a church neither of us had been to. Yes, I became active whereas she didn't. That's not my fault. Yes, I do want here to make more friends and become active.

I don't want to dominate the spending. I just want us to come up with a better way of paying bills. 50/50 isn't working anymore. 1 household can't have 2 different budgets.

And yes, I have idea and suggestions that she is not willing to try, however, she's not given any either other than leave things the way they are.
Barry2021

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2022 03:30 pm
@Bubbles66,
Bubbles66 wrote:

Hello Barry. I filled up reading your story of how you have been living.

We all of course only have one life and need to live it the best we can. Of course marriages as relationships have bumps along the way, but what you have been put through isn't living, it is existing.

I know as you say you love your wife, but accept it has been a one-sided relationship for a long time.

I feel it is time to say to your wife you both need a serious chat. And stress you cannot carry on living as you have for this long while, on eggshells too.

Maybe this would be the jolt that your wife needs to realise a marriage is for two people, not just the one to dictate how everything should go.

Bubbles,

I've tried that. I've threatened separation and she looks at me like "ok, leave then." The more I try to sit down and try to figure out a better way the more she throws in there about how she is not feeling loved. I just don't see how one has anything to do with the other. I can't discuss bills and finances without her wanting to talk about hugs and affection. But if I threaten to leave her response is usually "go ahead" but if I do then she'll have all the bills to deal with. And she will not want that. My wife hates confrontation. Right now we both have Sirius radio in our vehicles. I'm paying $10 a month and she's paying over $20 a month for the same stations but she won't call them.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2022 04:33 pm
@Barry2021,
Barry2021 wrote:
No, I don't drag her to my church. When me and my wife met she actually joined the church that I was born and raised in. I was there all my life until we both soured of it and we started looking for another church. We visited a number of churches until her mom, my mother in law, suggested we go to a church within their denomination. The religion my wife was raised in. We liked it so we joined. This was a church neither of us had been to. Yes, I became active whereas she didn't. That's not my fault. Yes, I do want here to make more friends and become active.

I don't want to dominate the spending. I just want us to come up with a better way of paying bills. 50/50 isn't working anymore. 1 household can't have 2 different budgets.

And yes, I have idea and suggestions that she is not willing to try, however, she's not given any either other than leave things the way they are.

You are not seeing how YOUR stubbornness influences how your marriage goes. She has NO desire to change, she has a position that affords a lifestyle she's become accustomed to. Why does SHE have to change?? Why don't YOU get a better job that pays you better wages outside the home?? Quit dictating to someone else how their life is going to go.

Tired of being broke? Then DO SOMETHING. Get a different job, a second job or cut back on YOUR expenses. It's not like you're a young mother who's limitations with small children prevent you working more hours or a disability that needs special accommodations. Your control issue is lording over someone else who doesn't share your views. She's not buying your cajoling to cut back when you REFUSE to do more.

You want change? Then change.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2022 04:40 pm
You pay all bills 50/50 and you share the cost for food too.
If you're left with $100 for the next 2 weeks then you need to get a second
job.

Your wife pays just as much as you do and to punish her into paying more because she makes more money than you do, is ludicrous.

If you cannot go to the surprise birthday party because you only have $12 in your pocket, then stay home.

I personally would never live like you do, but to each its own.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "Hugs don't pay the bills!"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 07:57:55