Punitive Damages

engineer

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 12:41 pm
@gollum,
Not civil cases. The government does not prosecute civil cases at all. It is up to the victims and their lawyers to make it happen. That is true in the case of Jones. That is a civil case only. If Jones loses, there is no jail, only financial penalties paid to the victims and their lawyers. If I read your posts correctly, your position is that the victims should receive nothing as they have not had direct losses associated with Jones. I would take the opposite opinion - that they have endured years of abuse and are entitled to every cent they receive, even if it is tens of millions of dollars. The way the system is set up, it is either them or Jones that gets the money. This is a civil case between those two parties. It is not a criminal case where the government can impose fines.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 01:57 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

The loss of ones children is infinite. Giving the parents $1 million doesn't address the loss because the loss was not monetary or fungible.

Your way of thinking is wrong in this example. The parents didn't sue Alex Jones for their loss, they sued him for negating that Sandy Hook ever happened. Unlike these parents, Alex Jones had a syndicated radio show that gave him a voice throughout the nation and world and he used it to bash the parents and negate the horrific crime on innocent children resulting in his listeners threatening these poor parents.

Not only did they lose their children, they had to endure daily harassments from Jones and his listeners/followers. You and I will never know how much more traumatized these parents became by Jones' daily aggressiveness towards them and the animosity and threats they had received thereof. Behavior like this brings anyone to the brink of mental and physical existence .

These parents deserve every penny and then some more....
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 02:18 pm
@gollum,
Something immense but not money is meaningless.

You are mean spirited, constantly victim blaming, attacking people who have something you don't and deliberately spreading lies and disinformation about public sector employees.

That's about as mean spirited as it gets.
gollum

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 02:55 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush-

Most of your statements are contrary to fact. On some of them, you might deserve a pass based on your never having met me, you don't know your statements to be untrue.

I admit that I think that some victims bear partial responsibility for the loss they suffered.

I deny spreading lies and disinformation about public sector employees but add that I was a public sector employee.

0 Replies