Mozart or Chopin?

Tatem

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2022 07:43 pm
Hello - I've heard recordings of "Funeral March" attributed to Mozart and Chopin; the compositions are aurally the same. Because Mozart was born in 1756, while Chopin was born in 1810, did either compose "Funeral March", or is "Funeral March" a generic piece of music composed by someone other than Mozart or Chopin? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 504 • Replies: 3
No top replies

hightor

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2022 02:57 am
@Tatem,
I wouldn't say that they're "aurally the same". They both contain a section with a similar rhythmic pattern – a quarter note followed by a dotted eighth and a quarter note – that gives you the "da-dah-de-da" section of the melody. It's likely that both melodies are based around music that was traditionally used in church funerals.
Whovian

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 10:32 am
@hightor,
I think that was basically the rhythm for funeral music at the time. Its also in other pieces, that follow the same chord progression and pattern, but yet they all have a different sound.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 11:46 am
What is known as "Funeral March" is the third movement, Marche funèbre: Lento, of Frédéric Chopin's Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-flat minor, Op. 35. Mozart didn't write a "Funeral March." His two most famous funeral pieces are his Maurerische Trauermusik (Masonic Funeral Music) in C minor, K. 477 (K. 479a) which is based on a Gregorian Chant, and his Requiem in D minor, K. 626
0 Replies