Looking for soprano vocal selections

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 06:54 pm
Hey guys. I'm looking for some classical or operatic pieces for a soprano with the range of medium-high. Any help would be appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 800 • Replies: 13
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 07:17 pm
Here are a couple that I like

sarah brightman - ave maria
nubuo uematsu - pray
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 12:11 pm
Thanks I'll try those... anyone else?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:06 pm
Heitor Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brazilieras No. 5, for solo voice and cellos . . . go here, and click on the media player to hear a brief rendition for solo cello and solo piano . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:17 pm
If you will go to this page at the Villa-Lobos Museum, you will see a link in mid-page for the Aria-Cantilena of Bachianas Brasilieras No. 5 performed by guitar and organ (? ! ? ! ?). I found it rather annoying, but this is a "song without words," the soprano simply sings the tones of the notes. The organ in the recording at that page is playing the soprano part.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 01:18 pm
Also, i'll go see if i can find something for you to listen to for Sergei Rachmaninoff's Vocalise.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 02:34 pm
Vocalise?! Wtf?! That's a cello piece!!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 04:46 pm
Bekaboo wrote:
Vocalise?! Wtf?! That's a cello piece!!!!

Your statement is without foundation, and in fact, could not be further from the truth. However, you needn't take my word for it. In the Wikipedia article on Rachmaninoff, under the rubric "Works" there is a link to a list of his compositions, on which page, one finds the following entry:

Vocalise (For soprano and piano, without words. Revised 1915)

In fact, Sylvia McNair has made that one of her signature performance pieces.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:00 pm
Pink, i mentioned the Villa-Lobos and Rachmaninoff pieces because they are both songs without words, and i thought you might enjoy the challenge. I believe i am correct in stating they are in your range. It's not like you'd be expected to sing the Queen of the Night's aria.

There are two arias which are my personal favorites, and i believe that both of them are in your range. The first is Un Bel di, from Giacomo Puccini's Madama Butterfly. The other is also by Puccini, O Mio Bambino Caro from the opera Gianni Schicchi. I highly recommend them to you.
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 06:23 pm
Thanks guys! Any more suggestions?
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 07:19 am
Setanta wrote:

Your statement is without foundation, and in fact, could not be further from the truth.

Ok tell me I'm wrong all you like but saying it is without foundation is just out of line as you have no idea what my foundation is!!

As it happens my foundation is that every recording of the piece I own happens to be recorded by cello and piano. And bearing in mind it has no words I think it wasn't all that extreme to believe that it was written as an orchestral piece.

Fair enough I looked it up and you're right - but there's no need to get assy about it
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 08:43 am
Bekaboo wrote:
Ok tell me I'm wrong all you like but saying it is without foundation is just out of line as you have no idea what my foundation is!!

As it happens my foundation is that every recording of the piece I own happens to be recorded by cello and piano. And bearing in mind it has no words I think it wasn't all that extreme to believe that it was written as an orchestral piece.

Fair enough I looked it up and you're right - but there's no need to get assy about it

There's no need for you to respond with a smutty mouth either. That a piece may be rescored for a variety of instruments is not uncommon. That does not warrant describing the piece as having been written for a particular instrument for which is most certainly was not written. You get out of these fora what you put into them. If you address me in such a manner, don't complain in future about whatever slighting or foul manner in which i may choose to address you.
0 Replies

pink thespian13

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 12:35 pm
Whoa whoa whoa guys... if you wanna argue do it through PMs... I'm don't want to start a fight here.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:08 pm
No problem, Pink, i've made my point as far as i'm concerned.

I do hope you'll have a try at the Villa-Lobos, the Rachmaninoff and the two Puccini arias. Whatever you do, let us know how it turns out, will you?
0 Replies