What's up with marketing hearing aids?

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2022 12:47 pm
In a thread I started earlier today, I questioned why some people hide their age…and asked why some think it makes lots of sense to do so.

Here I want to talk about hearing aids. If you read on, you’ll see there is a related aspect to the topics.

I use hearing aids. Without them, I'm damn near deaf...constantly asking, “What did you say?” (I do try to avoid using, “Huh?”) Without them, there is no TV unless closed captioning is in play. (Even with them, I use closed captioning.) Before I got them, noisy rooms were hell for me; a party could be a pain; a busy bar an impossibility.

I do reasonably well since getting the aids. I’m getting new ones this month…and looking forward to it. They will be rechargeable rather than using
batteries…and I will be able to make audio adjustments using my smart cell phone.

But something I have noticed is that it seems that EVERY purveyor of hearing aids goes out of its way to talk about how invisible their product is. TV, radio, and print ads all stress that their product is almost invisible. No one will know you have hearing aids if you use our product.

Is there a stigma to being hard of hearing?

Should I be ashamed of myself for having that difficulty? (Would I be ashamed for a cast if I broke my arm?)

What is it with the “Our hearing aids are invisible” mentality?

Why the obsession with trying to keep the problem hidden?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 304 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2022 01:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

What is it with the “Our hearing aids are invisible” mentality?

Not everyone is as free of self-consciousness/self-doubt as you Frank.

Quote:
Why the obsession with trying to keep the problem hidden?

Prejudices against disabilities (major and minor) still exist. Many people are ... apparently more judgmental (in a negative way) then you Frank. In an ideal world....
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2022 01:26 pm
I think it mostly appeals to a person's vanity. The big devices are unsightly to many people.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2022 01:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Not me! I keep thinking that if people can see my hearing aids, they might, just maybe speak a little more clearly. As you might have noticed, that doesn't work. At best, they just mumble more loudly.
Mame

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2022 05:43 pm
@roger,
Amen, Roger.

When I was a little girl, my grandma had a hearing aid. There was a little box she clipped to her dress and she had large earpieces. She could turn it up or down. How simple. Now, as Frank says, he can control it with his phone. What happens if he doesn't have his phone? There must be a manual way, of course.

Anyway, to Frank's point, seeing that hearing aid reminded us to enunciate and speak up.

During the pandemic, I bought a clear mask for our hard-of-hearing library patrons. They thanked me because they could read my lips.
roger

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2022 06:12 pm
@Mame,
Great! I don't quite read lips, but I find I hear better if I can see the face, anyway.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2022 02:40 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Amen, Roger.

When I was a little girl, my grandma had a hearing aid. There was a little box she clipped to her dress and she had large earpieces. She could turn it up or down. How simple. Now, as Frank says, he can control it with his phone. What happens if he doesn't have his phone? There must be a manual way, of course.

Anyway, to Frank's point, seeing that hearing aid reminded us to enunciate and speak up.

During the pandemic, I bought a clear mask for our hard-of-hearing library patrons. They thanked me because they could read my lips.

The worst part about masking has been the effect it has had on being able to have discussions with strangers at checkout counters and such.

Cannot wait for those new aids.
PoliteMight

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2022 04:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
Hearings aids suck period. I remember seeing the same ads in magazines older then me, that literally shows a wire and this small box

"hidden"
"nobody will notice".......the wire and box.

In clubs many of the bouncers/security will have those on, just to look more dramatic..... ( Those curled wired ear pieces ) However what they really are wearing is a type of hearing-aide that allows them to hear conversations and each other, so they do not have to yell. Imagine being in a crowded room and you could hear somebody talking with no music. Sometimes the mike-piece is inside the arm/watch.

Again back in the early 1990's those same curled wired pieces was really just
extensions of radio wires hidden beneath a persons suite/jacket. The radio would be on the hips like any ordinary radio. This was the secret-service looking gear.

Take the club perspective. You have hearing-aides you could use in a dance-parlor or lounge to spy on what somebody is saying far away. At the same time this technology could be adapted for regular usage ( which is what hearing aides are ).

I am in a club and their is a bald guy with a comb-over who looks like a nerd( big glasses ) with money and is able to spend it on drinks. That is why he got the girls and I did not.

The point is that I am trying to say is that imagine

A. Big magnifying looking glasses where your eyes appear bigger then usually.
B. A wig that clearly is a wig and not just comb-over of balding hair.
C. A hearing aide that looks more like a cartridge for a printer.

appose to

A. a pair of hard or soft lens
B. hair that has been implanted
C. A hearing aide that is only noticeable if you look inside somebodies ear lobes.

Imagine some guy or some gal flirting with you and you say "Wahhhh" like an elderly person. Just to eliminate that action.

.......................................................................................................................

Nowadays thanks to Television usage and usage of headphones with volume turned up too high many people have problems due to improper practices and poor products.

A. You have people who stare at TV all day long.
B. People that just get told to cut it all off.
C. People that are told to speak only when they are spoken to.

Slavery basically. No head, No eyes, No mouth.

Think about the kid playing a monochrome gameboy all day long who is now using a phone to play games all day long.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2022 11:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Mame wrote:

Amen, Roger.

The worst part about masking has been the effect it has had on being able to have discussions with strangers at checkout counters and such.

Cannot wait for those new aids.

I, on the other hand, can't wait for stem cell research to progress far enough as to heal damaged hearing and thusly not have a need for hearing aids.

Reversing Hearing Loss;
Reversing hearing loss with regenerative therapy:
MIT spinout Frequency Therapeutics’ drug candidate stimulates the growth of hair cells in the inner ear.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What's up with marketing hearing aids?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:51:25