British bigamist undone as 3 wives attend his sickbed

Reyn

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:06 pm
British bigamist undone as 3 wives attend his sickbed; gets suspended sentence

at 11:49 on August 11, 2005, EST.
CASSANDRA VINOGRAD

LONDON (AP) - Some people bring flowers, others bring balloons. But when Melvyn Reed's three wives showed up to visit him in hospital they brought an unexpected end to his years as a bigamist.

British police confirmed Thursday that after Melvyn Reed woke from his triple bypass heart operation earlier this year, his complicated marital affairs took a turn for a worse. All three of his spouses had turned up at the same time, despite his efforts to stagger their visits.

Upon realizing that something was amiss, the wives held a meeting in the parking lot and learned they were all married to the same man, the British news media reported.

The 59-year-old company director from Kettering, in central England, turned himself in on May 12.

A spokeswoman for the Crown Prosecution Service said Reed pleaded guilty July 19 to two charges of bigamy at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court in south London, and was given a four-month suspended sentence and ordered to pay 70 pounds (about $150 Cdn) in costs, police said.

Reed, his three wives and Reed's lawyer, Laurence Grant, could not immediately be reached for comment.

The London Metropolitan Police said Reed married his first wife, Jean Grafton, in 1966, then left her without divorcing her. He went on to marry Denise Harrington in 1998, then married Lyndsey Hutchinson in 2003.

The British media have widely reported that Reed recently moved back in with his first wife. They say she is the mother of his three grown children.

London's police said Harrington and Hutchinson had sought advice on getting their marriages annulled. But news reports say lawyers have advised the women that their marriages were never valid.

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 634 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Individual

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:32 pm
1 man + 3 women = A very happy man.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 09:12 pm
Individual wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, he's a very selfish man who doesn't really care for others' feelings.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 09:34 pm
Of, course, technically he's not a bigamist. He's a polygamist.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 09:43 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:

I doubt very much that his other 2 "wives" would mull over this technicality.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 08:19 am
Point taken. I just like to keep the record straight. (Which, as Groucho Marx used to say, won't do you any good unless you have a 33 1/3 rpm record player.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:42 pm
Reyn answered Merry Andrew:

Quote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

I doubt very much that his other 2 "wives" would mull over this technicality.

My guess is that this is working up to being a bitter divorce--or a series of bitter separations--and the erring "spouse" isn't just any old SOB, he's a double-dyed, bad to the bone, scum of the earth SOB.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:50 pm
Individual wrote:

I don't think so.

Imagine three women yelling at you for leaving the toilet seat up, or three women going clothes shopping with your credit card.. And I know what you are thinking ... but three women will have three headaches (instead of one).

Oy! Any man who thinks this would be a good thing is nuts.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:56 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:

Technically hes a polygynist - three wives. If he were a polygamist he would have both females and male spouses!!!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 01:58 pm
Respectfully, Acquiunk, I beg to differ. The word 'polygamist' is gender-neutral (as is 'bigamist', a person with two spouses). A polyginist, you're right, has a multiplicity of wives; a polyandrist has a multiplicity of husbands. A polygamist would not have "both female or male spouses." The word does not specify gender and can be applied to a man or a woman, a plygynist or a polyandrist.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 02:14 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Individual wrote:

I don't think so.

Imagine three women yelling at you for leaving the toilet seat up, or three women going clothes shopping with your credit card.. And I know what you are thinking ... but three women will have three headaches (instead of one).

Hahaha, so true. That was probably this guy's whole reason for leaving wife after wife - he couldn't handle the stress so he figured "Bad luck, better try again" and skedaddled on to find another woman. Trouble is, he didn't have better luck.

But on a more serious note, can you imagine the pain of going to see your spouse in the hospital only to find two other people, both equally upset, and wondering "Just who the hell are they!?"
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:24 pm
Individual wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Individual wrote:

I don't think so.

But on a more serious note, can you imagine the pain of going to see your spouse in the hospital only to find two other people, both equally upset, and wondering "Just who the hell are they!?"

LOL ebrown.

I couldn't even begin to imagine how hard that must have been. But I guess a good thing is that they can all be there for each other and support each other.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » British bigamist undone as 3 wives attend his sickbed
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:36:22