Flex spending account question (please don't think bad of me)

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2022 10:25 am
My wife and I both are employed and both are covered under our employer's insurance plans. We both have flex spending accounts. I'm not sure how every plan works but with mine I have all or the majority of my funds loaded onto my car each calendar year. Apparently, my wife's plan only loads a certain amount on each month which she completely depletes each month buying her 28 year old son's medication. He's no longer covered under her plan but she still buys his medication. The other day she came to me asking if I would use my card and buy her some cough medicine or something like that. I asked her why she just can't go buy it herself and she said that she didn't want to use her own money. A bottle of cough medicine is what, $7 maybe $8 depending on what you buy? And my wife makes more than me and always has money in the bank. Plus she tells me that she just ordered a brand new laptop that will be delivered today. My wife refuses to tell me all her financial information or even what she has in the bank. She refuses for us to put all money into one account, ,I guess because she doesn't want me to know how much she actually makes.

Earlier this year she got court papers from the sheriff's office about a credit card that she had and didn't tell me but maxed it out for more than $10,000. She's now having to pay back some $400+ dollars each month until it's paid off. Again, she now has this bill and bought a new laptop but wants me to use my flex card to buy her some cough syrup. This is a woman who when I eat lunch (we both work from home) I'm pulling cold cuts out of the fridge to make a sandwich or frying and gg and some bologna to eat she's having take out delivered to the house several times a week. Again, she refuses to tell me what she makes.

My issue is that she's spending all her flex card funds on her son each month to make sure he has his medication when he's 28 years old and all he does is drive around in a car he bought but he doesn't have a driver's license and will not pay child support for either of his two kids. He doesn't work and we're sure he's selling small time drugs like weed and cocaine. With the new laptop purchase and paying off this CC debt she wants me to use my funds to buy her some cough medicine. She has the money in her account because every couple of days a package will come to the house for her. A new dress or outfit or some new medical supplement or makeup stuff she's ordered online. We already have a ton of cold and cough medicine in the bathroom right now but she doesn't want to use that stuff. She wants me to buy her something else.

Am I wrong to not want to use the funds I have on my card when she is pending willy nilly with her funds and just doesn't want to use her own money?

I guess what I'm asking is this. Would you do something for someone simply because they just didn't want to do it for themselves? Someone asks to carpool to work with your every day even thought they just bought a car and don't want to put the miles on it just yet. Every time you go out with someone they always expect you to pay simply because you make more money. Someone doesn't want to use what they already have but want you to buy them something else.

She has this idea that because she asked, as my spouse, I'm not supposed to ever say no.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 282 • Replies: 5
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2022 10:41 am
@Barry2021,
As with most of your questions, I think you have bigger problems here. The two of you need financial counseling. Money seems to be a big deal in your relationship, and you are having lots of problems there. But to the question you asked:

- You don't have to use an FSA card to buy cough medicine and if she does use it, it will just apply to next month when money is applied.
- Maxing a card and having a credit card payment agreement is a red flag. That card likely comes with a hefty interest rate. The interest is likely over $100/month. She needs to find ways to pay that down much more quickly. Financial counseling could help there. Cutting out things like takeout lunches could likely allow you to increase that payment by $200-$300/month which would make a big difference. The laptop falls into this category, but maybe she needs it for some reason or her existing one is having issues. I would ask questions before making assumptions.
- Regardless of how you feel about her and her son, that's her business and not a hill I would choose to die on.
Mame

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2022 10:51 am
Aside from agreeing with what engineer said, you just need to learn how to say No to whatever you don't want to do. It doesn't matter what is being asked, if you don't want to, you don't need to justify it. Just say No. Set some boundaries and stick to them. That's the only healthy way to live.
Barry2021

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2022 12:14 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

As with most of your questions, I think you have bigger problems here. The two of you need financial counseling. Money seems to be a big deal in your relationship, and you are having lots of problems there. But to the question you asked:

- You don't have to use an FSA card to buy cough medicine and if she does use it, it will just apply to next month when money is applied.
- Maxing a card and having a credit card payment agreement is a red flag. That card likely comes with a hefty interest rate. The interest is likely over $100/month. She needs to find ways to pay that down much more quickly. Financial counseling could help there. Cutting out things like takeout lunches could likely allow you to increase that payment by $200-$300/month which would make a big difference. The laptop falls into this category, but maybe she needs it for some reason or her existing one is having issues. I would ask questions before making assumptions.
- Regardless of how you feel about her and her son, that's her business and not a hill I would choose to die on.

- If the money is not on her card then she can't use it to purchase anything. It's not like they will just let her use it then deduct it from whatever amount they add to her card next month.
- As far as the C.C. she got it without me knowing and maxed it out then when she couldn't keep up with the monthly payments she just stopped paying. When you owe over $10k on a C.C. sending $25 or $50 a month isn't going to do a thing to bring down the bill. Then she tried to blame me for the bill being so high. "Well, I paid our water bill" or, "remember when we went out to dinner last month, how do you think I paid for that?" If two people have their own accounts and one person pays for the other do you typically ask the other person what card they're using to pay for it? No! You just assume they are paying from their bank account, not a credit card they didn't tell you about. And as far as the laptop, my wife had one but it broke and she didn't have the money to replace it. She's been dying to get a new one for years but it's not like she "had to" have one. There's a difference between a want and a need. So now that's a new bill she's gotta pay for each month. No, she didn't pay for it outright. She's making monthly payments on that too. And in regards to financial counseling she won't do that because that would mean she would have to let it be known, especially to me, what she is making and all the money she has coming in. She likes to play and host Bingo games on Facebook and when I ask how much she gets from that she said sometime she'll win and only get maybe $20 or $30 depending upon how many people are playing. But when she hosts a game she gets a cut from the winnings, and again she says that she may only get $2 or $3 for hosting the game. I refuse to believe any of that.
- In regards to her grown son I too have a grown daughter and I look at life this way When you're old enough to move out and make your own decisions then you need to start taking care of yourself financially too. I do not buy my daughter's medications no matter what. This kid is 28 and at what point is he going to start worrying about his own health and not relying on mommy to buy his medication while he rides around in his car all day long.

0 Replies

Barry2021

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2022 12:23 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Aside from agreeing with what engineer said, you just need to learn how to say No to whatever you don't want to do. It doesn't matter what is being asked, if you don't want to, you don't need to justify it. Just say No. Set some boundaries and stick to them. That's the only healthy way to live.

Trust me, I do. And that's what pisses her off the most. The fact that I tell her no to something that is totally within my power to do. Ok, instead of paying $10 to have a $8 McDonald's meal delivered to your house how about you drive the 1 mile down the road to the closest McDonald's and get the food yourself. Then, that that $10 and buy your own cough medicine.

It's not that I don't have the funds on my card to buy her medicine, it's the principle of the issue. Her new laptop was just delivered but she wanted me to buy her some cough medicine.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2022 08:01 am
As long as your name is on this card, why get involved at all?

Tell her your card is not for outside use, and never ask her to pay for your purchases either.

Stop overthinking everything with your wife. You two are like vinegar and oil.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Flex spending account question (please don't think bad of me)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:10:11