Bizarre holiday tragedy kills 2 women

Reyn

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 08:00 pm
Our search for truth

Aug 9 2005
By The Evening Chronicle

Relatives were today trying to piece together the last movements of two sisters killed in the Spanish folding bed tragedy.

Alice Wardle and Mildred Bowman, of Low Fell, Gateshead, were found dead side-by-side in their twin beds in their Spanish holiday apartment four days after they were last seen.

It is believed Mildred, 62, and Alice, 67, had gone for a lie down in their Benidorm apartment after spending a morning in the sun on July 31, just a day after arriving at the resort.

Their families have been devastated to learn that they lay trapped until their bodies were discovered last Thursday.

Mildred and Alice folded down the beds which were stored on the wall and then went to sleep.

But the heavy wooden frame, fixed to the wall by screws, came free and landed on top of them, crushing the two under the weight.

The widows' bodies were only found when Alice's daughter Allison Gibbons and her family, also holidaying in the resort, became concerned.

Now Mildred's sons, John, 38, and Paul, 41, and son-in-law Phillip, 45, have joined them flying out to Benidorm with pictures of Mildred and Alice to show other guests at the Levante Club Apartments.

They are hoping to piece together the sisters' final movements and see if anyone had heard from them.

Today family members were due to visit the morgue to see the bodies.

Mrs Gibbons was holidaying in Benidorm with husband Peter, sons John, 12, and David, 16, and David's 16-year-old girlfriend.

They had been due to meet Mildred and Alice on the Sunday and were surprised when the sisters failed to arrive.

Allison visited their apartment block several times over the following days, expecting to see them by the pool but eventually asked staff to drill the lock to get into the room.

The apartments complex is used by tour operators My Travel which has launched its own investigation.

From her uncle's home in Gateshead, Mildred's daughter Carole Gregory, 44, said: "It is such an appalling way to die.

"It's all been horrendous shock. It's like your worst nightmare come true.

"My brothers and husband have gone out with photos to show other people staying at the apartments to see if they remember the last time they saw Mildred and Alice.

"They're going to the morgue today as well.

"There is a lot to sort out with the authorities and there are a lot of things that need to be done to arrange for them to be brought back to England."

Mildred, a retired cleaner with Gateshead Council, was widowed in 1999 when her estranged husband Ronnie died of cancer.

She had three grandchildren and one great grandaughter.

Alice, a retired bakery worker, was widowed last year when her husband, also called Ronnie, died in a fall.

They had two daughters Allison and Dawn, 38, and three grandchildren.

The pair were extremely close and were nicknamed "Hinge and Brackett" by relatives.

A spokesman for Levante Club Apartments said: "This is in the hands of the police and the authorities.

"We cannot say anything further out of respect for the families. They are the most important people in this situation."

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 573 • Replies: 3
No top replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:18 pm
They were nicknamed Hinge and Bracket and died due to a hardware failure?

Is there a punchline?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 09:57 pm
Don't think so. An unfortunate choice of nicks. Quite a sad tale. Sad
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:23 pm
Complaint already on beds in tragedy

Aug 10 2005
By Louise Redvers, The Evening Chronicle

Tour company My Travel had already received complaints about the fold-down beds which killed two sisters in a Benidorm apartment.

Alice Wardle, 67, and Mildred Bowman, 62, from Low Fell, Gateshead, died when the wooden frame of the bed collapsed on top of them while they slept.

Their devastated relatives are now considering legal action.

But today the Chronicle can reveal this is not the first time questions have been raised over the beds' safety.

Frank and Anne Kelly complained to staff at Levante Club apartments during their stay in April because they said the beds were dangerous and their room too small.

The couple, 60 and 55, cut short their holiday and were later paid £142 in compensation by My Travel.

Mildred's daughter Carole Gregory, 44, who was Alice's god-daughter, said: "Someone has got to be responsible for this.

"We have got legal representation in Benidorm and are determined to find out what happened.

"Nobody should die this way. The family is determined to get justice."

Mrs Gregory, of Harlow Green, Gateshead, said she was shocked by claims My Travel had already received complaints about the beds.

"There's no way elderly people like my mum and aunt should have to pull down heavy beds like these," she said.

"And I am shocked to hear My Travel had already had complaints about the beds but still gave the rooms to older people."

Mr and Mrs Kelly, from Bootle, near Liverpool, had been treated to the break by family for Frank's 60th birthday after he'd been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

The retired lorry driver said: "I was shocked and horrified when I saw what had happened to Mrs Wardle and Mrs Bowman.

"I thought the beds were very awkward and dangerous because they were so heavy to pull down and the rooms were very small.

"There were no instructions and we didn't know you had to pull out the legs underneath, the room was so cramped when the bed was down it hard to see what to do."

It's thought Mildred, a retired council cleaner, and Alice, a retired bakery worker, went for a lie-down after a day in the sun on Sunday July 28.

Alice's daughter, Allison Gibbons, who was also holidaying in Benidorm with husband Peter, sons John, 12, and David, 16, and David's 16-year-old girlfriend Ashleigh, became worried when the women failed to meet them as planned.

They found the women dead in their bed after staff at the apartment block to forced lock to get into the room. My Travel said the beds at the apartments are used throughout Spain.

The company declined to comment on the Kelly's claims but admitted they had paid out compensation.

A spokeswoman said: "Thousands of people stay at the Levante Club Apartments every year and the overwhelming majority of customers are very happy with the standard of accommodation.

"The safety of all our guests is our highest priority.

"We have acted quickly to the problems following the tragic deaths of Mrs Wardle and Mrs Bowman by removing all customers staying in these studio style apartments from the property.

"A full team of health and safety experts is currently working to investigate the safety of the beds.

"Passengers due to arrive at this property, staying in these studio apartments in the coming weeks have been transferred to alternative accommodation - this will remain the case until all investigations are complete.

"The Kellys' complaint and the tragic deaths of Mrs Wardle and Mrs Bowman have brought the pull-down beds into question."

The bodies are expected to be flown back to the North East at the end of the week for a private family funeral.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Bizarre holiday tragedy kills 2 women
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 10:22:54