Serena Williams Playing One Last Wimbledon?

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2022 11:28 am
Nice article in Sports Illustrated about Serena Williams. While I have no illusions about her chance of winning it, I'm sure no player is looking forward to seeing her on the other side of the net. She has absolutely transformed how women's tennis is played. It will be a sad moment to see her go.

Quote:
While the PGA Tour still looks a lot like it did when Tiger Woods burst on the scene, it’s hard not to notice a “Williams Effect” in tennis. More than half the American women in the top 100 tennis players are Black. Innumerable players outside the traditional demographic have picked up the sport, knowing a country-club membership is no prerequisite.

As long as Serena was winning events and capturing audiences, the majors could not possibly pay women less than men. And they no longer do, also due in large part to behind-the-scenes work from Venus. Tennis embraced technology to determine line calls, something owed largely to Serena. She was robbed at the 2004 U.S. Open, rightly complained and, as a result, human error has been reduced. She led the way in pushing tennis’s fashion boundaries with her beads and boots and catsuits. She has been an exponent for maternity leave and body positivity. No less than Roger Federer marveled at how Serena’s “confidence as a woman transfers to her tennis. She always finds a way.”

Along the way, she has offered us, and maybe herself, abundant lessons. There is no substitute for competitive resolve—Serena so often competes as though she is refusing to accept that defeat is among the battery of options.

Sports—and tennis, in particular—are a beautiful meritocracy. There is no one right background, no one right path, no one approach to your career. Win, and nothing else matters. If there were some regrettable moments along the way, they partially underscored Serena’s greatness. She has been superhuman, but she was—is—very human and complex like anyone else. That Serena was fined for threatening a lineswoman with asphyxiation-via-tennis-ball at the 2010 U.S. Open, that she was penalized in the ’18 U.S. Open final—those are also part of her legacy. So be it.

If she never gets to her goal of 24 majors, it’s a minor footnote. And a lesson, too. Even if you don’t achieve it, the courage of stating a goal and going for it is, in itself, worthy and righteous.

After a quarter century and so many false starts, we now brace for the post-Serena era. When the day comes, we will hear that the sport is poorer for it. True as that may be, one could as easily argue that, thanks to this towering champion and all she has contributed, doing it her way from start to finish, women’s tennis has never been richer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 419 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 03:59 am
@engineer,

she lost a tough opener 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (7)...
engineer

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 06:01 am
@Region Philbis,
And she really didn't play well. I'm sure she is not willing to continue to play if she can't play at a high level. I'm also sure that is not how she wanted to go out. I doubt she wants people pitying her and wants to orchestrate her swan song on her own terms. Ways Serena in particular and Venus and Serena in general have changed the game:

- Women players now work hard on their serves and the best players use it as a weapon to win points easily. That comes directly from Serena who probably has the best service motion in the history of the game.
- If Martina Navratilova proved the importance of physical fitness in women's tennis, Serena proved the importance of strength training. I doubt you'll find a top player today who does not hit the weight room as a regular part of their training regime. She wasn't the first to do it, just the first to demonstrate how effective it is in winning games.
- Serena really drove standing in at the baseline and taking the ball aggressively. Again, she wasn't the first to do it, but she was so successful that it has become the standard.
- The Williams sisters completely broke the color barrier in tennis. If you look at the top US women players, around half are people of color.
- Serena in particular completely exposed the subtle racism and misogyny in sports reporting. Refusing to accept or back down in the face of it has forced continuous evaluations at the top sports sites like SI and ESPN about how their reporters question women and POC about sports.
- Both sisters but Venus in particular have driven pay equality in tennis. At least at the major events the women now make what the men do.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 06:41 am
@Region Philbis,
I wonder if Federer (who is the same age as Serena) was looking at that loss and thinking "maybe I should retire now." I think Federer would want to do a final world tour, receiving the adulation of the crowds one last time as he goes into retirement. I think Serena will just pull the plug.

Reactions from sports reporters about Serena's loss: https://www.si.com/tennis/2022/06/28/serena-williams-wimbledon-first-round-loss-sports-world-reacts
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 09:48 am
On the radio the other day was a talk about Althea Gibson.

I'd never heard of her but she was an incredible woman, winning Wimbledon in 1957 whichmade her the first black person to win Wimbledon, before Arthur Ashe.

Apparently she was a huge inspiration for the Williams sisters.
engineer

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 10:56 am
@izzythepush,
She went to high school in the city I live in and played on the grass court behind a lawyer's house who was a family friend. We named the local public tennis center after her. Interesting tidbit, she was also the first black golfer in the LPGA although she never won a tournament.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 10:58 am
@engineer,
She was an incredible woman, playing against a hostile crowd who would always cheer her opponant's points and stay silent for hers.
0 Replies