Can an insurance company make you. . . .

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2022 07:24 am
Quick and simple question today.

Yesterday I was at my parent's house and one of my sisters and brother in law stopped by. While outside they started talking about our parent's roof. This morning my sister sends out a group text to me and my other siblings saying that she is getting quotes on a new roof for the house. When I asked was it leaking her reply was no it's not leaking but their insurance company is requiring that they replace the roof or they will cancel their policy. I can't see how that's legal. That's like your car insurance company telling you you could only put premium gas in your car or you had to buy the most expensive tires on the market or they will cancel your policy? Can an insurance company make / require you to put a new roof on your house if it's not leaking?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 277 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Mame

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2022 08:21 am
@Barry2021,
Why don't you call an insurance company and ask them?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2022 09:56 am
@Barry2021,
Yes, they can.

Having a decent roof is a basic assumption behind the insurance rates. If your roof is in bad shape, the likelihood of a bad event goes way up. This is not like requiring premium gas in your car, it's like saying you must have working brakes. They can't require you to get a new roof, but they don't have to insure you (and any other insurance company you go with will send someone to take pictures of the roof before the write the policy.) A more interesting question is who told the insurance company? It's not like they send out a roof inspector every time the policy is up for renewal. I suspect your sister is playing this card to encourage the replacement.
Mame

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2022 10:43 am
@engineer,
That's very interesting... when we changed policies, our insurance company merely asked when the roof, furnace, etc., was last replaced. I gave the information and she was satisfied. No proof was necessary, although I could have provided that. Likewise when we did renovations; she just took our word for it about the updated electrical and new windows, etc. I have a whole file on the renos so could have given her anything she wanted. I think insurance companies in Canada operate a little differently than in the States. I have never received a call or letter from our insurance company about anything. We just automatically renew each year.
Barry2021

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2022 12:11 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Yes, they can.

Having a decent roof is a basic assumption behind the insurance rates. If your roof is in bad shape, the likelihood of a bad event goes way up. This is not like requiring premium gas in your car, it's like saying you must have working brakes. They can't require you to get a new roof, but they don't have to insure you (and any other insurance company you go with will send someone to take pictures of the roof before the write the policy.) A more interesting question is who told the insurance company? It's not like they send out a roof inspector every time the policy is up for renewal. I suspect your sister is playing this card to encourage the replacement.

That's a good question. I don't know but I can assure you it wasn't my sister. She said that our mom received a letter so it would lead me to think they sent out an inspector for some reason and maybe they did a quick drive by, IDK.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2022 01:50 pm
@Mame,
They don't do anything on renewal, but whenever I've started up a new policy (and I change insurance companies periodically) the new company has sent out someone to take pictures of the property.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2022 05:39 pm
@Barry2021,
Well the question of the day is the roof is covered? and why? or how. It depends on the state you are in. You have insurance on your house in case of a fire, floods, rotting etc, or whatever. Honestly it really depends on the stupidity you are getting into.

That is why people usually will tear a house out from the insides and rebuild it when purchasing the property.

Thinking about it makes me want to drink. Stupid
Mame

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2022 05:13 pm
@PoliteMight,
PoliteMight wrote:

Well the question of the day is the roof is covered?

Well, obviously it is because they got a letter about it.

PoliteMight wrote:

Thinking about it makes me want to drink. Stupid

Quelle surprise!
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2022 11:42 am
@Mame,
Yeah, any excuse.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can an insurance company make you. . . .
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 01:33:34