How Long Until Saddam Is Sleeping With The Camels?

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 01:23 pm
And if you're confident, put your money where your mouth is:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/03/28/betting.saddam.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,834 • Replies: 36
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 12:28 pm
Probably 1-3 Months.

The problem is the war doesn't end when Saddam leaves.

We are still faced with an occupation where a large part of the population see us as hostile invaders.

If you ask how long will the US be sleeping with the camels...
I would say we are in the desert for at least 5 years.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 01:36 pm
I've heard Saddam accused of many evils, but sleeping with camels is a new one for me. Shocked

I didn't know Iraqi camels were so friendly? Embarrassed
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:44 pm
Camels are too good for this beast. c.i.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:55 pm
Will the camels let Saddam sleep with them?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:58 pm
ebrown_p- I think that once the regime is toppled, there will be a lot of changes in the attitudes of the people. Right now there are two problems-

The Iraqi people do not trust us because we chickened out 10 years ago, and left them to face Saddam. Can you blame them?

The other problem is that Saddam's regime is killing his own citizens if they dare to show any inclination that they approve of the Coalition forces. I heard on the TV earlier today that a woman who waved at coalition troops was hanged. Also the regime is giving people rewards for capturing or killing Coalition forces.

I think that things will be less than perfect after the regime change, but I do believe that the attitude of the people towards the Coalition will improve appreciably!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 05:45 pm
having lived in the middle east i would say that the major difficulty wil be that the US will be considered quite simply as the latest version of the Crusades.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 06:30 pm
dys, The people in the ME already feels that way. No need to wait for the end of the war for this one. c.i.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 07:12 pm
Just like in Vietnam we look just like the French and English to them. Both countries raped and pillaged Arabia in the past. Why would we ever think they would not see us as devils too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 07:30 pm
the year was 1096: Proud knights in the Crusades would march towards forgiveness of their sins, filled with greed. Bloodshed was worth it, dying was worth it. Marching towards Bagdad with victory in their eyes, they would take anyone who stood in their way of victory. In Bagdad they never stopped killing the Muslims. That was the Crusades of the Middle Ages.
When the knights were attacked in a Crusade they used huge siege weapons. When they actually reached Bagdad however, they waited awhile before attacking to starve their enemy, but it didn't work so they just attacked the Muslims.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 08:40 pm
I voted for 3-6. If he does get killed it'll be after baghdad falls. We'll be playing a country wide wack-a-mole with that guy.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 08:47 pm
I voted 1-3. If we haven't done it by then, the camels must sleep with themselves.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:16 pm
Only if it falls on him littlek! I voted 6-12 cause the summer will be there next month and I don't think any one can fight in 130f heat.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:23 pm

I think the bu$h administration has started saying that it doesn't matter if he catches Saddam or not. Sounds familiar? Embarrassed
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:26 pm
Just heard the scariest words on CNN, credibility gap. Now I am really pissed off, I do not, I repeat do not want to live those years over again. Changing channels now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:30 pm
I voted 6-12 months. It might be longer. Fighting in Baghdad is not going to be a cakewalk. With a population of some 5 million, and many places for Saddam to hide, he may live longer than GWBush. Maybe, GWBush will sleep with the camels. c.i.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 06:46 am
CI there I was being nice and not saying that about bu$h and the camels! LOL

Joanne, let me know if you hear anything on any of the networks that is NOT a credibility gap. They are all still trying to paint the incompetent, schoolyard bully as an all American hero.

Do you know what amazes me? The fact that they tried to destroy Bill Clinton for over 6 yrs for lying about an affair that was none of theirs or our business. Yet the bu$h administration is one massive, secretive, lying organization and no one dares to speak for fear of being called unpatriotic.

This is insanity at it's finest!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 11:31 am
Phoenix,

I think your prediction is way overoptimistic. There is good evidence the at Iraqi's will remain very hostile to the US.

First, CBS had a report this morning about Iraqi's safely in Jordan who supported the Iraqi government against the US invasion. There was a group of men with Jordanian passports (i.e. in safety and outside of the control of Saddam) voluntarily returning to Iraq to fight US troops.

Second, the citizens of the countries around Iraq, namely Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey are violently opposed to the US invasion. These folks understand who Saddam is and they understand the culture. There is no evidence that the average Iraqi citizen will feel and differently then them.

Third, the fact is we are dropping bombs on their citizens. We are causing massive shortages of food, water and medicine (most of them already blame the US for the embargo). And we are being blamed for the deaths of thousands -- many of which we are responsible for.

Fourth, we have a terrible track record with Iraq and the Middle East in general. You have already mentioned our betrayal of the uprising in the 90's. (BTW it is not clear how many of the Iraqi's supported this uprising).

Remember that Saddam is *our* creation. We gave him weapons, power and support to balance the power of Iran (and the USSR) in the region. The Iraqi people understand hypocrisy.

Fifth, all propaganda aside, we are invaders. You really think that the average Iraqi will applaud the arrival of western troops coming to occupy their nation? It is pure arrogance to force citizens of a proud sovreign nation to accept "liberation".
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 11:37 am
Phoenix,

I think your prediction is way overoptimistic. There is good evidence the at Iraqi's will remain very hostile to the US.

First, CBS had a report this morning about Iraqi's safely in Jordan who supported the Iraqi government against the US invasion. There was a group of men with Jordanian passports (i.e. in safety and outside of the control of Saddam) voluntarily returning to Iraq to fight US troops.

Second, the citizens of the countries around Iraq, namely Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Turkey are violently opposed to the US invasion. These folks understand who Saddam is and they understand the culture. There is no evidence that the average Iraqi citizen will feel and differently then them.

Third, the fact is we are dropping bombs on their citizens. We are causing massive shortages of food, water and medicine (most of them already blame the US for the embargo). And we are being blamed for the deaths of thousands -- many of which we are responsible for.

Fourth, we have a terrible track record with Iraq and the Middle East in general. You have already mentioned our betrayal of the uprising in the 90's. (BTW it is not clear how many of the Iraqi's supported this uprising).

Remember that Saddam is *our* creation. We gave him weapons, power and support to balance the power of Iran (and the USSR) in the region. The Iraqi people understand hypocrisy.

Fifth, all propaganda aside, we are invaders. You really think that the average Iraqi will applaud the arrival of western troops coming to occupy their nation? It is pure arrogance to force citizens of a proud sovreign nation to accept "liberation".
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 11:41 am
Phoenix,

0 Replies