I could use some ideas here...

Mame

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2022 03:00 pm
So my husband is turning 70 in December. As some of you may remember, he's all about the presents and celebrating. He really seems to equate presents with love. Before I knew him, he threw himself a b'day party every year. That stopped when I moved in when he was 55, although I had to throw him one for his 60th and 65th.

I don't want to do that again since I cleaned the whole house, snow-clearing, and did all the catering... lots of work, but also, I can't pay that much attention to our guests because I'm checking the oven, replenishing food, etc.

I'm thinking of just booking some tables at his favourite blues bar and sending out an invitation. We got an invite like that last year from friends but unfortunately they got Covid, so it was cancelled. But the expectation is that everyone would pay their own way.

Do you think that's sufficient for a party or am I being cheap? I didn't feel it was cheap when we got that invite, but... maybe he'll think it is.

I'm asking early in case I have to scrap that idea and come up with another one. Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 400 • Replies: 13
No top replies

hightor

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 03:43 am
@Mame,
A big party is a hell of a lot of work. I think booking tables at a blues bar is a great idea. You can party hearty and then return to your nice clean house.
Mame

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 06:40 am
@hightor,
Yes, it is. Thanks - I think I'll do that.
jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 06:52 am
@Mame,
That does sound like a good idea.

You know when the Puerto Rican turns 70 I'm trading him in for two 35 year olds Cool
Mame

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 06:58 am
@jcboy,
Does he know that? lol
jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 07:06 am
@Mame,
Yep, I may just exchange him for two 25 year olds when he turns 50. Cool
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 07:47 am
@Mame,
These days celebration of one’s milestone birthday is a bit more of an accomplishment. However, that being said, going to a blues bar sounds great. Nice special invitations sent out to his/your closest friends would be great.

I feel it’s not the case of your trying to do it on the cheap. Furthermore, Catering it at your house has its downside but if you had the help of one or two helpers that might work depending on how you want it to go. My feeling is that it would be a burden depending on the size of your house or the size of the crowd (no way if More than 8-10).

Call ahead to a favorite blues bar and see how arrangements can be made. Find out what days to avoid, who will be headlining, how much advance notice they need so you can have good attentive waitstaff. Layout of blues bar can be tricky as far as keeping you all together in one area and being able to interact. Then there’s a possibility of Deposit, etc.

Good luck.
Joeblow

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 08:43 am
@Mame,
I think it sounds like a blast! Spring for some appetizers, see if you can bring a cake. Make him wear a party hat lol. I'm dying with laughter thinking of him in a party hat. No? Ok, appies and cake. Good friends, good music, good venue!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 09:07 am
@Ragman,
Thanks, Ragman, for your comments. For his 60th, we had 40 - 50 here. I went to Albania for the month of November with a friend and returned just a few days before his birthday so I made and froze a lot of appetizers in October. When I returned, I still had to make more and clean. He didn't want to go to our "Cheers" and wanted it at home.

This year, we are going out. I don't think he realizes how much work is involved. It's a bit early to book the bar, but I think what I'll do is take him out for dinner on his birthday and book the bar for the following night (Saturday).

If they let me book 30 - 40 seats, that'll be great. There is another blues venue where we got married, but this one always has blues and the other doesn't necessarily.

Thanks for your input Smile

Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 07:26 pm
@Mame,
Sounds great. Wishing you both the best.

I remember when I turned 70…I think?
glitterbag

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 08:23 pm
@Ragman,
I don't remember it either, so it must have been wonderful!!!!!!
Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2022 10:09 pm
@glitterbag,
People have said that you were the hit of the party. Not just because of the lampshade on your head but because of the light you provided.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 08:49 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Do you think that's sufficient for a party or am I being cheap? I didn't feel it was cheap when we got that invite, but... maybe he'll think it is.

I'm asking early in case I have to scrap that idea and come up with another one. Thanks in advance.

Throw a surprise gender reveal party with the so-called usual colored fireworks and smoke. Give him a proper scare. After all the nonpink and nonblue fireworks and smoke actually go off, unroll a banner that basically says that you're not pregnant. Make sure to increase his life insurance before the surprise party might do some serious heart related damage before the real reveal is known.
Mame

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 08:53 am
@tsarstepan,
lol
0 Replies