What would your response be - boss gives demeaning IM

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 10:25 am
Some background -

Currently I work on client that has consist work cycles - some are bigger than others but we have deliverables every month. Most other client groups have some months where they do not have deliverables - which causes us to have little time to do things like administrative work, revisit where we can make improvements, things like that.

I work with another peer to head up this client - I would say in the last two years we made great strides from being low on quality to exceeding quality. Recently we had a transition where part of the work was being done by a new team (all of which is located overseas), to add to that we had another team change the tax support they provided which is very technical so we had to figure out the data and re-interpret it and my peer was on leave for the month. To add to that not sure what is going on with our other support teams but for every issue we had (which was several) I had to track someone down and insist they respond to the issue or else our data would be late to the client - the responses were also in such poor condition I had to try to interpret what the h*ll they were getting at - all in all it was a horrible and stressful month for m.

Our quality went down - still acceptable but not exceeding. My peer is back and he suggested it was in large part to this new team which our boss's response was --- "All my other clients were able to catch the issues and not let them get to the client. lol"

I am simply ignoring it - especially after the insane month I had - but I am a bit upset as I worked my butt to do two people's workload and still get an acceptable quality score - by the way the client does seem satisfied and understanding - and they are a difficult client to please.

But would you respond?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 248 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 10:52 am
@Linkat,
Respond to what? Not clear what you're asking, Linkat.
engineer

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 11:01 am
@Linkat,
I'd schedule some one on one time with the boss to ask what he meant, explain the challenges you had and ask for the support you need to get the work done in the future. You should not have to do rework to make up for shoddy work coming from other groups.
Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 11:37 am
@Mame,
Well he was asking about the rating I determined for the team as it fell compared to previous cycles in which we were exceeding in our quality. He is fully aware of the fact we were without one AVP for the month, had a new team taking over part of our work (of which we do review it, but prior we prepared and reviewed - resulting in us losing experienced people who prepare this area), new tax support, as well as working on a conversion to a new system.

The boss's response to my co-worker who was out for the month - was surmising in part due to this new inexperienced team which my boss stated

""All my other clients were able to catch the issues.." of this particular team....."and not let them get to the client. lol"

So basically he is saying everyone else was able to find the mistakes of this experienced team yet we did not...

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 11:40 am
@Linkat,
It seems his expectations are a little high given the circumstances and your past record of exceeding expectations, don't you think?

Either do as engineer suggested or just shrug it off. You're only human and you were dealing with a lot of negatives that month.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 11:44 am
@engineer,
funny I just met with him on one on - Friday and he suggested why we would need two people at my position for this client - most other clients have just one - other than clients with more work over and over cycle like ours - there are other clients that also have 3 at this level (one in which I was moved to this client years ago) so they could go down to 2 - resulting in so many errors they had to boost it back up to 3.

Any way that is an aside - as in part he was asking knowing I had to take on so much more and handle all the crisis- and that this co-worker is taking another month and a half off starting mid July - what we can do - I said to drop an officer's workload to assist me. Which is all fine and dandy if they can then back fill some of the officer's workload which is unlikely to happen.

Sorry I am venting - it is much better though than the previous bosses who would just yell at you and tell you - you have make improvements.

I just am going to ignore it and then when I talk to him one on one next time just tell him how that is demoralizing when you are picking up so much more work.

As far as the lack of quality - the past two months after and right before their next cycle, I set up web meetings to go over where they fell short and where we had seen many errors, recorded the meeting and answered questions if they had any on how to handle.

That is the part in which I am trying to make improvements on the process - which he is fully aware as he has attended them.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What would your response be - boss gives demeaning IM
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:52:36