The Time Travelers Wife.

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 02:22 pm
[NOTHING I AM GOING TO SAY HERE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS SPOILER. ALL OF THE PUBLICITY MATERIAL INCLUDES THIS INFORMATION.]

Nancy and I have been watching the HBO series, The Time Travelers Wife. It has a very low Rotten Tomatoes Critic’s score…and a mediocre audience score. (36% and 80% respectively.) But I am enjoying the series immensely.
Excellent acting from the two stars (Rose Leslie and Theo James)…and they have a wonderful interaction between them. Both do a terrific job of using an American accent…she is Scotch; he is English…and both sound like Americans. (Not sure why so many Brits are used as Americans, but they do the accent like they were born here. American actors cannot sound truly British if a gun were held to their heads.)

Anyway, the series has a huge hill to climb because of one essential of the story…that being that the Time Traveler spends a lot of the early episodes with his wife…in the past…when she is just 8 years old. That dynamic has turned some people off to the point where they become agitated just discussing the series…and, I am sure, accounts for the low ratings.

I think the situation is handled decently…with humor and a lot of regard for the possible dangers of the plot situation. As I said, I enjoy the show very much.

Any of you folk watching it? Is the early meeting as off-putting for you as for the many who object to the show?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 293 • Replies: 5
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2022 09:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'll be back later
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 02:41 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I'll be back later

Funny!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2022 05:00 am
I'm watching another time travelling series called Dark.

It's in German and is very good, the past, present and future are all tied up together in 33 yr cycles. Many characters are played by three different actors, young, middle aged and old, and they interract with each other, it's so good. It really is.

As for us being better at American accents, the readon is obvious, and I have told you before. We get a ton of American telly and films over here, the American accents are familiar.

The reverse is not true which is why so many attempts sound like Dick Van Dyke who is known for having the worst cockney accent in the history of cinema.

Those who can do it don't go for some generic "British" accent, they sound like real people from a particular area. Denzel Washington nailed it in For Queen and Country because he spent time in Tottenham interacting with the locals and listening to how they spoke.

Johnny Depp is very good as well.

The very best has to be Lamorne Morris' portrayal of Wilfred Wigans in Bloodshot. He fooled me, and not many can do that.
0 Replies

cdard

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 06:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
What would you rate this out of 10? Me and my S.O. have been undecided on if we wanted to sit down and watch it due to all the online backlash.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2022 08:39 am
@cdard,
cdard wrote:

What would you rate this out of 10? Me and my S.O. have been undecided on if we wanted to sit down and watch it due to all the online backlash.

I'd probably give it an 8. I enjoy watching it...and look forward to each new episode. My wife (actually my SO of almost 40 years) feels the same way. I would recommend it to a friend...and I would suggest you put the backlash (which I consider way over-done) on hold until you see if you enjoy the acting and story.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Time Travelers Wife.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:13:37