Am I nuts for honoring the terms of this bet?

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2022 09:33 am
Before I get into telling you all about the bet, I should probably start by explaining that my mother and I are both a couple of pranksters. We've both enjoyed pulling practical jokes for as long as I can remember. I'm her favorite target and she's mine as well, because we both know we can count on each other to be good sports about it.

Okay, now that we got that out of the way, here's what happened. I'm on my high school's softball team. School let out for summer break last week, but I like to keep up my training. There are two trees in our backyard that are about the same distance apart as two bases on a softball diamond. Sometimes, especially if I'm bored, I'll go out and run sprints back and forth between them as a way of practicing base running. So that's what I was doing on Sunday evening. At one point, I was resting between sprints with my hands on my knees when mom came up behind me. I didn't hear her approach and didn't realize she was there until she clapped a hand on my back, which made me jump a little!

Anyway, she told me she'd been watching me run for awhile and then challenged me to a race. Since we were near one side of the chain-link fence that borders our yard, she suggested the side of the fence on the opposite side of the yard as our finishing line. Even though mom goes for a run every morning, I couldn't help feeling a little cocky. I asked her if she wanted to make a bet on who'd win. She laughed and told me I wouldn't be able to beat her. That left me feeling kinda indignant, so I told her she shouldn't have any problem with making a bet then! So she agreed and said that if I won, she'd move my curfew forward by an hour. If she won...she took a minute to ponder this. Finally, she said that if she won, I'd be grounded for a week and have to do a ton of chores every day until it was over.

That was definitely a steep price to pay, for sure, but I couldn't resist the chance to finally be able to stay out later, so I agreed. We took our mark and when she yelled go, we both took off running at full speed. I managed to get out ahead of her and thought I was gonna win when I suddenly found my momentum being slowed by...something. I'd barely had time to process this before I found myself being jerked backwards off my feet and onto my butt! From the ground, I watched in horror as mom stopped running and walked the rest of the way to the finish line. After she tagged it, she turned and walked back to where I was on the ground. She had a big grin on her face as she said, "I did warn you that you couldn't win. Looks like you're grounded now."

Turns out she'd taken one end of a bungee cord and hooked it to the rear belt loop on my shorts! The other end was hooked to the side of the fence where the race had started. Gotta give her credit, I did not see that one coming!

So, yeah, I'm grounded now. It's not too bad though. I'm still allowed to go online (duh) and stuff. I'm just not allowed to go anywhere and I spend most of every day now doing chores, just like she said I'd be doing.

I'm trying to be a good sport about it. My friends think I'm nuts for honoring the terms of this bet though. Who knows, maybe I am! Smile They don't understand why I'm not revolting against this. They all say she cheated, but I think of it as she got me good with a prank. What do you think?

Assuming you don't think I'm crazy, please list any good prank suggestions you may have in the comments! Now it's my turn to try and get her back, but I need something that can compete with this.

Well, I better go. I just heard mom pull into the driveway and I'm supposed to wash her car before lunch. If nothing else, this prank of hers definitely taught me a good lesson: don't gamble anything it would suck to lose!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 449 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2022 11:51 am
@StarfishQueen,
No, I think you're doing the right thing and good for you. I love your relationship with your mom - treasure it!

I'm not a prankster, so can't help you there, but I hope someone comes along with some ideas.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2022 01:32 pm
@StarfishQueen,
She cheated............

1. Getting an extra hour is a joke.

2. She having you do all of those things after putting a bungee cord on the end of your short.

3. You was already practicing running back and forth so you was tired out.

No she cheated and that is not fair.
0 Replies

Mrknowspeople

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2022 01:57 am
@StarfishQueen,
Oh boy. That is something. Pranksters...that is great.
0 Replies