The Picture of Dorian Grey

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:44 pm
I am currently reading this book and I was just wondering how it settled with you guys. Please post back with ur feelings towards this book.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,279 • Replies: 15
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 10:56 am
Read the book, saw the movie, liked both!
0 Replies

sagar11

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 10:43 am
I really like this book-- but then again, I am an Oscar Wilde fan. I had to read it a second time to truly appreciate the subtleties, and to realize that it is not just the story of a wicked man!
0 Replies

UnagiSushi

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 07:16 pm
Re: The Picture of Dorian Grey
rarablue wrote:
I am currently reading this book and I was just wondering how it settled with you guys. Please post back with ur feelings towards this book.

I really liked the book, but then again, I am an Oscar Wilde fan.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:09 pm
Great book. A real classic. I never saw the movie, though, is it worth getting?
0 Replies

benacre

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 01:50 pm
Is this something to do with greed? & making a deal with the devil? seems a bit heavy for my tastes.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2005 10:38 pm
Good book. Interesting but a bit bizarre, I thought.
Yes, Dorian Grey "sells his soul to the Devil" in exchange for youth and beauty... It is a rather intense story - unlike Wilde's other witty stories such as The Ghost of the Cantervilles, The Importance of beimg Earnest, and Lord Arthur Savile's Crime - these are cynical and funny but not bizarre.
0 Replies

kashka

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:51 am
Excellent book, fantastic ending. I love the darkness of it all, amazing it got past the censors back then really. There is also a modern re-write by Will Self which is worth looking into called Dorian.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:57 am
Im reading it too, though I started over Christmas and havnt really looked at it this year.
The characters seem a bit wrapped up in themselves, like its all about their feelings and their love and how will they live without such and such.

Im up to the bit where Dorian has fallen in love with a girl.

I havnt seen teh film tho it was The Extraordinary Lague of Gentlemen that made me think I should read more classics as Grey was in it and I think Oscar Wilde is quite clever.
i was surprised that the description of Grey was the complete opposite of his portrayal in T.E.L.o.G.
0 Replies

kashka

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 05:03 am
material girl wrote:
Im reading it too, though I started over Christmas and havnt really looked at it this year.
The characters seem a bit wrapped up in themselves, like its all about their feelings and their love and how will they live without such and such.

Im up to the bit where Dorian has fallen in love with a girl.

I havnt seen teh film tho it was The Extraordinary Lague of Gentlemen that made me think I should read more classics as Grey was in it and I think Oscar Wilde is quite clever.
i was surprised that the description of Grey was the complete opposite of his portrayal in T.E.L.o.G.

probably one of the worst films ever. I had the good fortune to go to the london premier, and sean connery didn't even stay to watch it.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 05:21 am
Oh I loved it!!

Sean Connerys a miserable so and so anyway.
0 Replies

Mahealani

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:59 am
kashka wrote:
probably one of the worst films ever.

You should try to get your hands on the 1945 version with George Sand, Donna Reed and Angela Lansbury. It's a brilliant film (in my humble opinion, that is!) The recent remake, like most remakes, is bland and does the book no justice.

The Picture of Dorion Gray
0 Replies

kashka

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:16 am
Mahealani wrote:
kashka wrote:
probably one of the worst films ever.

You should try to get your hands on the 1945 version with George Sand, Donna Reed and Angela Lansbury. It's a brilliant film (in my humble opinion, that is!) The recent remake, like most remakes, is bland and does the book no justice.

The Picture of Dorion Gray

This past year i've made a big effort to go back and watch all those classic films which i'd never seen, the third man, citizen cane that sort of thing. Will definitely add this one to my list, thanks Very Happy
0 Replies

Mahealani

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 06:47 pm
kashka wrote:
This past year i've made a big effort to go back and watch all those classic films which i'd never seen, the third man, citizen cane that sort of thing. Will definitely add this one to my list, thanks Very Happy

This may not be considered a "classic" film by many, but I think it is one of the best films ever (couldn't even tell you how many times I've seen it over the years). Made in 1968, starring Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole: The Lion in Winter. Everything about it is, I think, superb...especially the dialogue which is brilliant both in content and delivery. A remake was recently presented on US television with Patrick Stewart and Glenn Close...the dialogue was identical but their dispirited acting (and I mean "acting"!) nearly made me weep.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:18 am
Right.Ive finished Dorian gray.
Annoyingly the end crept up on me as I thought the end of the book was many pages away but that was the appendix and pages of explanations of some things in the book,so I was only about 3 pages away from the end when i realised.
I hadnt built up enough tension as to what was going to happen so it was a bit of a dissapointment.
The thing that came through in his book and the Stephen Fry film of Wilde was that he was obsessed with youth and beauty.Is this a regular theme?

Anyhoo, a very good read.I like the way OW mind thinks.
If his other books are along the same lines Im gona read more.

Can you recomend which book of his I should read next.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 09:20 am
Another thing, I cant for the life of me remember how he disposed of Basils body,can anybody help?
0 Replies