Health insurance and mental health

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 09:03 pm
So health insurance pretends to be an advocate for mental health however it is nearly impossible to find a provider that is taking new patients within the insurance company network. I've been trying for over a month and all in network providers are saying on their websites and on their voicemails they are not taking new patients. Forget about even trying to match someone that would be a good fit for your situation.

Has anyone tried to navigate this lately?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 279 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 07:33 am
@Linkat,
Well after getting a second notice from the health insurance company saying they have tried to find a provider/appointment, and have not been successful - the insurance company is also doing a search on their side while I also reach out. I decided to call them again.

Come to find out they do have a policy in place in after a certain number of days they come up empty handed, they have a not sure what it is DOR or something like that - but this little known thing where they will allow me to go out of the network, pay out of pocket and they will reimburse me. I guess you have to keep pushing them and since they need to cover you for certain care especially in a case where it is needed and already approved - they will provide it even out of the network.

So on Monday if nothing transpires we can move out of the network - in which I already found what appears to be a good person and a second alternative that I found in my own search. My worries of pulling whatever person the insurance company comes up with - is it may not be a good fit and we need to take as they are all that is available.
jespah

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 08:50 am
@Linkat,
That's annoying at best. Please make sure this stuff is documented up the wazoo, so some clerk in 3 years doesn't audit the file and think: That was out of network, we weren't supposed to pay it, so let's get a refund with interest.
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2022 10:45 am
@jespah,
Yes! Good advice.

And very few providers even get back to you. There were a couple of very nice therapists - one sent a list to my daughter of suggested options another I spoke with on the phone and she also gave me some references. But most you do not even hear a thing --- crickets!

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Health insurance and mental health
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.25 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 03:51:51