Effects of steroid

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 07:12 am
I have been undergoing treatment for nephrotic syndrome for the last six months and have been taking steroids as prescribed by my doctor for relief. I have made good progress in my condition, but I get a lot of bodyweight by using this. It is said to be the after-effect of steroids. Is it possible for me to switch to the old body when I stop taking the steroid after a month?

jcboy

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 07:45 am
@Ivan1960,
Ask your doctor, why would you want medical advice from someone on the internet?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 07:55 am
@Ivan1960,
Sure. It's also possible to try to control your hunger when on the steroid. You gain weight be eating more. Pay attention to what you eat and try to eat at the same level you did before taking the medication.
Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 11:56 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Sure. It's also possible to try to control your hunger when on the steroid. You gain weight be eating more. Pay attention to what you eat and try to eat at the same level you did before taking the medication.

It can if you do not control your eating but that is not the only reason you gain weight when taking steroids - it is also due to the side effects of holding on to sodium levels and the cause of losing potassium resulting in fluid retention, weight gain, and bloating.

So even if this person was able to control side effect of increased appetite that steroids cause - they are still likely to gain weight.

So yeah once you off it is likely the side effects go away as well resulting in you going back to your more normal body weight - but as jcboy stated - it is best to check with your doctor.

Just wanted to say that as I did not want the poster to feel bad about his side effect of gaining weight. As it is probably tough enough to go throw a medical reason that it necessities using steroids without also going through these negative side effects- not that I think engineer meant that on his advice.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2022 03:11 pm
I know of a couple people who were on steroids for a while and both gained weight while on them and lost when they went off so it is possible you will experience that, too.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 1 May, 2022 02:53 pm
@Mame,
Gained weight very quickly, lost that weight very slowly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Effects of steroid
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 03:20:45