Looking for recomendations

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:23 pm
Hey everyone, I'm looking for recommendations - need to get some new books, I'm all out of reading material, however, I'm trying to spark my imagination by reading books in the line of "Harry Potter", "The Chronicle of Narnia" and so. Can anyone give me any suggestions, I will really appreciate it. :wink:

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 846 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:36 pm
Try American Gods by Neil Gaiman

supernatural stuff
funny, VERY witty
good plot
some sex
some killing
one incident of killing by sex.

I gave it 2 thumbs up - When I finished it, I felt fulfilled, like I just ate a good meal
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:51 pm
Thank you Chai - that is very nice way to describe a book, now I'm compelled to read it! Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:58 pm
You might also enjoy the works of Orson Scott Card, start with Ender's Game and proceed from there . . .
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:44 pm
IMHO you can't go wrong reading

Carl Hiaasen
Dan Simmons
Neal Stephenson
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 01:08 pm
Thank you all, I have already order few of ur recommendations, I'll be a happy camper soon again! Laughing
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:45 pm
I second the Neal Stephenson recommendation, and would add Interface by Stephen Bury, a pseudonym for Stephenson & his uncle.
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 10:35 pm
It may be a little different than what you're looking for, but one of my favs is The Plague Tales. I forget now who wrote it but I read it a few years ago. It's all about what would happen if the Plague were to be released into present day societies, and takes you back in time to when the Plague was first "discovered," and turns them into almost parallel societies. It's interesting if you're into medical sci-fi...I couldn't put it down. Hope this helps!
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:41 am
Sounds interesting, thank you OperaGhost and welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

iluvorlando313

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 09:12 pm
They are fpr a younger audience but i recommend His Dark Materials trilogy by phillip pullman
Also i liked the Artemis Fowl books (4 now) but once again for a younger audiende(ME!) I really enjoyed both and i think i liked aretmis fowl better than harry potter but a said it once and got many manypeople saying they thought that it was not near as great but you'll have to find out for yourself! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies