Single/double beds

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 05:16 am
I am nearly 30 and have always had a single bed.

My parents asked me if my mattress was still comfortable, I said not really and they kindly said they would get me a new mattress.

Ive been thinking for a while id like a double bed but forgot to say anything while we were talking about mattresses.

How do I say to them Id like to get a double bed(which Id pay for)without it sounding like Im gona be inviting guys over(which Im not but you know what I mean).

Id like to at least start to have adult things in my life. We are not a short family,my brother has had a double bed since his teen years, so have my friends, I even know kids that have them.

How do I say it to them without it sounding 'odd'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,271 • Replies: 38
No top replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 05:31 am
I don't think they'll assume you'll turn the house into a brothel just because you've got a bigger bed!

They should know how you behave, so if you let them know you'll be more comfortable in a double bed, they'll probably be OK with it.

Best of luck - I find it much more comfortable to have space to roll over, when I'm in a large bed on my own.

KP
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 05:45 am
Thanks.I just hope I have the guts/chance to bring it up before they go out on a mattress buying expedition.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 05:51 am
Well, you should really try out the bed/mattress before they buy (advice I've heard is to go when you're not too tired and spend several minutes checking it out).

It's you that's going to sleep on it, after all.

KP
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:07 am
Yep, good point.I think the sales are on so its a good time to go.They cost a fortune!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 07:11 am
I'm with kitchenpete - I'd expect that someone by the age of 30 would want a bigger bed.

I don't know if this is available in the UK, but the Sheraton hotel chain has absolutely AMAZING beds, and you can buy one for your home.

Check out their website to see if they are available there.
I'm sure you could go to a local Sheraton and they would let you test one.
They are the most comfortable beds I have every slept in, and I'm planning on getting one for my husbands birthday later this month.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:18 am
Thanks for the info, not heard of Sheraton tho.

I can remember getting a sofa bed a few years back.I felt so stupid trying it out.

Chai Tea-Whose the babe in your avatar?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:55 am
Material Girl
Material Girl, you are 30 and still living at home with your parents? You are asking them if you can buy a double bed?

Why?

BBB
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:59 am
Nooooooooooooooo, Im not asking, Im gona tell them Im gona get one.
Im not asking permission,I just dont know how to say it without feeling ooky about it.

Yes I still live with my parents as Im sure alot of people my age still do.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:08 am
Girl
material girl wrote:
Nooooooooooooooo, Im not asking, Im gona tell them Im gona get one.
Im not asking permission,I just dont know how to say it without feeling ooky about it.

Yes I still live with my parents as Im sure alot of people my age still do.

Why would you feel "ooky" telling them you are going to buy a double bed?

BBB
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:13 am
Double bed, for 2 people.Theres only one of me.
I dont want them to think Im getting it for a certain reason.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:14 am
I got a queen in high school and my parents didn't think anything of it. It's nice to spread out!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:15 am
Besides, you're 30! They know you are having sex my dear.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:23 am
Girl
material girl wrote:
I dont want them to think Im getting it for a certain reason.

Queen and King size are more likely for two people. It's been a long time since a double bed was considered only for two people.

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:30 am
Heck, my 4-year-old has a double bed. (She was supposed to use the comfy twin mattress set we got for her, but became fond of our old futon, still dunno why. Closer to the ground, firmer, bigger, something.)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 09:43 am
Bella-If someones having sex with me I wish they would wake me up first so Id notice!!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:33 pm
material girl wrote:
Bella-If someones having sex with me I wish they would wake me up first so Id notice!!

Laughing
zzblssszhgg? Huh? Wha?

I remember an american commedian saying he believed the british only used their accent when someone else, i.e. an american was around....

He said - I bet if you wake them up in the middle of the night, they'd sound like they were from brooklyn

That 'babe'? Oh, that's just me, I don't really smoke though.

Actually, that is Gloria Swanson.
Have you ever seen the movie Sunset Blvd?

She did it when she was probably 40 years older than in my avatar. She played an eccentric (read nuts) old actress, (Nora Desmond) from silent films, trying to make a comeback.
In it she said the immortal words...."I'm ready for my closeup Mr. DeMill."
while looking like she just had electro shock therapy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:35 pm
My daugther got a queensize bed when she was 3 years old,
and she loves it. Especially kids roam around the bed a lot during the night, so the wider the better.

material girl, I hate to tell you, but very few women in their 30s live with their parents. Show some independence and
at least choose the bed you want to.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:34 pm
material girl wrote:

I don't know too many people outside of high school who try to squash two people into a double bed. Doubles and queens are for one person, or maybe one person and a small dog or two.

Call home, let your parents know that you're looking forward to going out looking for a new bed, and then when you're in the store, lay down on double and queen-size beds. I'd be surprised if they made any comment.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:04 pm
Tell them you need room for your out of control teddy bear collection.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Single/double beds
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:27:58