Shaun King

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2022 09:40 am
Shaun King
17 mins ·
This just happened. This is why we elected @larrykrasner and it’s why so many police hate him and hate me and those of us who fought to keep him as DA of Philadelphia. They know they will be held accountable.

https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/279852920_559264768896101_6584090658488321952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=-UEF34o2MKIAX-DYsQg&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=00_AT_vaIYR5_oLyjT-CIKWBr4eZOSKfLarC6PhQTU3vi-MJA&oe=62744F86
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2022 11:27 am
Shaun King and The North Star <[email protected]>
Mon 5/2/2022 12:35 PM

The Proposed Ban on Menthol Cigarettes Sparks a Debate Over How it Will Help and Harm the Black Community.
The FDA recently proposed a ban on menthol cigarettes, underlying the health risks it disproportionately causes Black Americans. Opponents to the ban are concerned it will criminalize Black smokers.

Donney Rose
May 2

Comment

Image credit: BBC/Getty Images

Kools. Newports. Marlboros. Black n Milds. Phillies.

It is commonplace to visit corner stores, liquor stores, ‘hood markets, etc. in predominantly Black neighborhoods and see a wide assortment of menthol-flavored cigarettes and flavored cigars. If you grew up Black, it is possible that someone in your family sent you to the sto’ to get them a pack, and if you were a minor that frequented the establishment you were sent to, the store owner or manager would still sell it to you because they knew your mama ‘nem. You may have grown up watching your loved ones go through cartons of cigarettes a week, or split flavored cigars down the middle, stuff them with sticky icky, then bandage them back up to blow marijuana clouds into the ether.

I’m not suggesting that any of this is a prerequisite for growing up Black, or for having your Black card authenticated. But if you did come of age in a working-class Black community, it would be quite the anomaly if you were not at all exposed to folks in your community indulging in menthol or flavored tobacco as some form of stress release turned addiction.

You are also more likely to know somebody or somebodies that encountered major health issues as a result of long-term smoking.

Subscribe now

Last week, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) proposed a ban on menthol cigarettes as a means of trying to combat health risks and early deaths that arise from smoking-related illnesses. Additionally, the FDA proposed a ban on flavored cigars, specifically based on how appealing they are to teenage smokers. The proposed ban has been praised in some Black civil rights advocacy circles as tobacco companies have long been called to task for aggressively promoting their products in Black communities. But depending on who you ask, the ban that would take at least two years to go into effect could end up compromising Black freedom in the name of saving Black lives.

Twitter avatar for @NPR
NPR
@NPR
Historically, menthol cigarettes have been heavily marketed to African Americans. The impact has been so strong that when the FDA proposed a ban on menthol cigarettes, they cited that the ban would save 92,000 to 238,000 African Americans' lives.

How the tobacco industry targeted Black Americans with menthol smokes
The Food and Drug Administration has announced plans to ban menthol cigarettes, which the tobacco industry has aggressively marketed toward African Americans since 1964.
n.pr
April 29th 2022

81 Retweets194 Likes
According to FDA Commissioner Robert M. Califf, an estimated 480,000 Americans die of tobacco-related illnesses every year. The FDA is operating under the assumption that a ban on menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars would greatly reduce the number of these deaths that disproportionately impact Black Americans, who consume these products at high volumes.

In theory, banning an addictive substance that is highly accessible in Black communities sounds beneficial to preserving the health of said communities. But there’s another side to the proposed ban that could place Black smokers in the crosshairs of the criminal justice system.

In a letter addressed to the White House, Al Sharpton warned that a prohibition on these products “would exacerbate existing, simmering issues around racial profiling, discrimination, and policing,” suggesting that the White House should form a commission to study the potential legal ramifications that a ban on menthol could have on Black communities.

“Y’all have got to consider unintended consequences. Imagine some cop pulling a kid over saying, ‘Where did you buy or get that Kool cigarette?’” Sharpton told the news outlet POLITICO. “People are not going to stop smoking Newports and Kools because of a rule. They’re going to go and get them from people that go to the street in the black market. Then what happens? That’s all I’m asking.”

The concern of Black folks deciding to ignore a proposed ban on menthol and having their menthol fix satisfied by purchasing banned cigarettes via the black market has brought up anxieties of increased policing in Black neighborhoods, and fears of tragedies such as the 2014 killing of Eric Garner becoming more of the norm.

Twitter avatar for @margoasnipe
Margo Snipe
@margoasnipe
In a letter to the Biden Administration, racial justice advocates are raising concerns about the implications a ban on menthol cigarettes will have for policing in Black communities. Eric Garner’s mother is among them.
Dr. Benjamin F. Chavis, Jr. @DrBenChavis

https://t.co/LcjONSjjJ5

Other Black leaders such as NAACP president and chief executive, Derrick Johnson, view the proposed ban as highly beneficial to the overall wellness of Black America. In a recent press statement, Johnson argued the devastation that has been brought to the Black community on account of the tobacco industry targeting Black consumers as the primary consumers of its menthol-flavored products, calling the FDA’s proposal “a huge win for equity, justice, and public health concerns.”

There is a multi-layered argument to be had around Black health, aggressive policing, public choice, addiction, illness prevention, etc. that all have some level of validity regarding this proposed ban. It almost feels like a matter of weighing worst possible outcomes. Which sadly, is often the perilous position that Black American life finds itself in.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Donney Rose is a Writer, Educator, Organizer and Chief Content Editor at The North Star
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2022 01:09 pm
Shaun King

32 years ago, all the way back in 1990, a man was murdered in Miami. ⁣

Witnesses said they thought it was a Black man named Thomas James, because some of the people on the scene said they saw some people that Thomas James knew that were there.⁣

And so when the Miami Police found THE Thomas James that everybody was talking about, he was actually IN JAIL when the murder happened. ⁣

And what happened next is one of the most outrageous things I’ve ever heard in my life.⁣

➡️The Miami Police went 25 miles away and found ANOTHER BLACK MAN NAMED THOMAS JAMES.⁣

Nobody connected to the murder even knew who the hell he was. Not a single piece of evidence connected him to the crime, but police FRAMED a random Thomas James, arrested him, and local prosecutors went along with it all. ⁣

And with nothing but lies from police, a random Thomas James was convicted and spent the next THIRTY-TWO years of his life in prison.⁣

Finally, this past week, Thomas James was exonerated and set free, in huge part to my friend and attorney Natlie Figgers, who fought like hell for this man when nobody else would show up. ⁣

But they let him out of prison WITH NOTHING. ⁣

And I promised Thomas and his family that we would support him. It could be years before he receives any settlement or anything else.⁣

So let’s SHOW UP!⁣
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 07:30 am
Shaun King
45 mins ·
The NYPD was formed in 1845 and it took all the way until 2022 (177 years) for a bill to even be proposed to hold them accountable for lying, withholding evidence, intimidating witnesses, etc.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 03:31 pm
Shaun King
·
Since you all enjoyed learning about John Brown today, on his birthday, let me tell you something about his son, Watson Brown, who was also killed fighting against slavery at Harper’s Ferry.⁣

After Watson was killed, a local medical school that supported slavery took his body, preserved it, and displayed it as a pro-slavery exhibit in the medical school. ⁣

This is how sick they were/are.⁣

They made shoes with some of his skin. ⁣
They took some of his finger bones for souvenirs.⁣

It’s wild. ⁣

Google “Watson Brown Medical” and research for yourself how ugly the things were they did to him. America has such an ugly history.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2022 06:13 pm
Shaun King
·
My friend @orlandooo7 sent me this news clipping from 1860 where the people of 🇭🇹 Haiti sent the family of John Brown $30,000 (a TON in 1860) after the murder of John Brown and his sons and comrades in their abolitionist anti-slavery raid of Harper’s Ferry. I had never heard of this before. So powerful.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2022 10:30 am
Shaun King
19 mins ·
Yesterday the US Senate UNANIMOUSLY passed a bill to have the government provide security for the families of the Supreme Court. And now they are about to pass a bill for $38 BILLION in aid for Ukraine. Biden only asked for $33 billion.
So, they don't mind working together. They just don't like working together for ANY serious priorities for African Americans.
And what burns me up, is in 2022, we still have victims of the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921 out here fighting for justice. We still have the living relatives of Emmett Till, who was murdered in 1955, out here fighting for justice. That's 101 years and 67 years respectively that they have been fighting - and they can't find justice anywhere!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2022 12:16 pm
Until recently, Louisiana was one of only two states that did not require the unanimous vote of a jury, a vestige of a Jim Crow-era law designed to negate the growing power of Black jurors. In 2018, Louisiana residents voted to end the practice, and in 2020, the U.S. Supreme Court found non-unanimous jury verdicts unconstitutional. But the high court declined to make the ruling retroactive, leaving it up to Louisiana and Oregon (the only other state that allowed split juries) to decide whether people already serving time in such cases were entitled to new trials. - Their Sentences Are Unconstitutional — But They’re Still In Prison.; The Marshall Project
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2022 11:24 pm
THIS MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL. ⁣

Let me tell you what you are looking at. ⁣

This is chartered bus of the women’s lacrosse team from Delaware State University, an HBCU. ⁣

They were pulled over IN RURAL GEORGIA for a traffic violation, but even that was suspicious, because they were just pulled over for driving in the fast lane. ⁣

Then the police proceeded to DEMAND that they be allowed to search their luggage. ⁣

Which is bullshit. They had no right, no probable cause, no reasonable suspicion, for ANY OF THIS. ⁣

Adults on the bus, not wanting to escalate the situation, allowed them to conduct the search. ⁣

And of course they found NOTHING. ⁣

➡️ Let me say 3 things:⁣

1. It was good that they filmed this. Always film them.⁣

2. It’s easy to say what you would do or should do, from your keyboard. But when are in a moment like this, it can be hard to think clearly. Police are counting on that, though, and want you to give up your rights. ⁣

3. If at all possible, keep the cell phone numbers of several attorneys on your phone. And call them on speaker phone or FaceTime right in front of the police. So that the attorney can tell the police themselves that they have no right to search the vehicle and that they are about to violate your constitutional rights and will face civil lawsuits and public scrutiny like they’ve never seen before. ⁣

If that’s not an option, rehearse this in your mind yourself now, and prepare to say it to them in a scenario like this. ⁣
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2022 04:39 pm
Shaun King
·
(Note: I saw the video on Facebook)
🚨 I need you to see this. And I’m going to point out 4 very essential pieces of evidence showing the war crimes of Israel this morning. ⁣

What you are looking at is film just seconds after the Israeli government assassinated beloved Palestinian-American journalist Shireen Abu Akleh.⁣

1. She was wearing a protective helmet and a huge protective vest emblazoned with the word “PRESS” on it. ⁣

2. A long range Israeli sniper then shot Shireen in the head through her ear, which was unprotected. This was not a random shot or a ricochet. It was a precise assassination.⁣

3. Then, as soon as the BRAVE young brother in the white t-shirt scaled the wall to come rescue the other journalist with Shireen, the sniper immediately begins shooting at him as well. Do you see it??? This wasn’t a random firefight.⁣

I am in awe of the unspeakable courage of this young Palestinian brother who risks his life to save one journalist and to recover the body of Shireen. ⁣

4. For those of us who study the Apartheid government of Israel, we’ve seen these long range sniper shots from Israel just like this kill women, children, doctors, nurses, and journalists. We’ve even seen them do EXACTLY what they did to this young heroic brother as well - shooting at him after they killed someone else. ⁣

This is an abomination.⁣
It’s a war crime.⁣

And this time Israel did it to an American citizen. It’s utterly despicable. ⁣

Please speak up and speak out. ⁣
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 May, 2022 04:42 am
@edgarblythe,
It's very hard to talk about stuff like this because of the rush of anti Semitic scumbags on A2K recently.

I have mentioned it on the revised IS in Israel thread but that has been subject to the trolls.

Israel is behaving how white settlers/colonialists have always behaved, and the reason Israel gets a free pass is because it's an American outpost in the Middle East.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2022 05:26 am
@izzythepush,
I mostly avoid talking about Israel to avoid that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 May, 2022 03:28 pm

Shaun King
26 mins ·
And there we go.⁣

Just as we predicted once I started speaking out against the Apartheid of Israel and their assassination of a journalist yesterday, somebody planted a fake story today that we aren’t shipping people’s orders for A REAL ONE. ⁣

LIES. Doing so would be criminal. It’s just dumb at this point. ⁣

TWO THINGS⁣

➡️1. We had nearly 3,500 orders and shipped EVERY order. All of them. Some 2-3 times. Out of those 3,500 orders about 150 people moved, or had shipping problems. For those 150 people, we resent the orders or processed refunds.⁣

➡️2. We just emailed our entire customer base to ask ANY customer that might have fallen through the cracks to email us. 2 people replied saying they wanted exchanges or refunds for orders they had trouble with. 2. ⁣

Out of those 3,500 orders we also had 75-100 customers who had errors in their email addresses or phone numbers that made it hard for us to reach them. This is normal. ⁣

When we then run those potential customers with errors up against all of the orders that were delivered we don’t see a single customer left with a contact info error that hasn’t received their order or a refund. ⁣

Still, we are standing by to help any customer that has a single issue or problem. ⁣

Also, Black owned businesses are held to outrageous standards and people tear them down faster than any other business in America. ⁣

➡️ This is what they do. The lie gets planted and when the truth comes out, it never gets repeated. ⁣

I’m VERY proud of what we accomplished. Period.⁣

We created an ALL BLACK supply chain from the seed in the ground to the shipping. And everything in between. ⁣

This has never been done before like this. ⁣

And we provided work and employment and contracts to nearly a dozen different Black owned companies from the web designer on down. ⁣

So listen, miss me with these lies. ⁣

🚨Also, in August we are launching our next line!⁣

Love y’all!⁣

Shaun
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 May, 2022 05:59 am

Shaun King
·
That dear woman, is 75 year old Amelia Baca, a grandmother with DEMENTIA, who DOES NOT SPEAK ENGLISH. ⁣

She was in the middle of a mental health crisis and police showed up, screaming, only in English, until he decided to shoot and kill her. Her family called for help. This is what they got instead. ⁣

Nurses and doctors deal with these issues DAILY. Even with patients who arm themselves. ⁣

This is in Las Cruces, New Mexico.⁣

In the ENTIRE world outside of the United States, people with mental illnesses, particularly our elders, are sent special teams to help disarm them and GET THEM TO THE HOSPITAL. ⁣

Finally, a few cities across the country are starting to get these teams, but the United States is the Wild Wild West where people who need doctors and nurses instead get bullets and cops who act like ogres. ⁣

➡️ Let me speak plainly…⁣

The one issue that we should ALL agree on, Republicans and Democrats, young and old, people from all races, backgrounds, and zip codes, is that people with mental illnesses DO NOT need a one size fits all approach driven by loud cops with guns and bullets.⁣

The whole world has figured this out already. The whole world has mental illnesses and the whole world doesn’t shoot and kill people in crisis. ⁣

You send in expert teams, who know how to disarm people, and then get them the healthcare they need. ⁣

It’s not even new. ⁣
It’s happening everywhere. ⁣

Follow @GrassrootsLaw because we are fighting for this nationwide. ⁣
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 May, 2022 04:23 pm
https://apnews.com/article/buffalo-supermarket-shooting-442c6d97a073f39f99d006dbba40f64b

Shaun King
10 mins ·
I’ve got 7 things to say about this racist little-dick-having white supremacist coward ass ************. And the police handling him.⁣

He streamed it all online. I watched it so you don’t have to. It’s the worst thing you will ever see. ⁣

7 things…⁣

1. He’s alive. After slaughtering at least 10 people in a Black neighborhood in Buffalo. And being heavily armed. ⁣He’s still alive.⁣

2. And not even a little injured. It’s ******* miracle. I was told police would stop brutalizing Black people if they had more training. But as I’ve said for years they don’t need more training. They just mainly use it really well with white people. In fact, the more Black people a white man has killed the more likely he is arrested without a scratch. ⁣

3. He’s being handled softly by a police department that has literally killed unarmed Black folk FOR YEARS. Left and right. ⁣

4. This man left a white supremacist manifesto where he is literally promoting racist ideas regularly promoted by Tucker Carlson - the single most watched man on the news. Imagine if that shooter was ANYBODY other than a white man the shitstorm that would be falling on everybody thinking just like him. ⁣

I blame our entire government. Local, state, and federal. Which somehow STILL doesn’t take white supremacy seriously after all of the evidence that they are the single greatest threat to this nation and STILL let’s them build and gather online, and does NOTHING. ⁣

5. A Black woman named Dr. Francis Cress Welsing actually predicted all of this 30 years ago. She said white people would get so deathly afraid of genetic annihilation, that they would begin to act out just like this. Because literally everybody else is producing more babies. And white people are having more babies with non-white people, that the math just doesn’t work for their genetic future. ⁣

6. What’s so dumb, is that more than ANYBODY ELSE, you’d think white racists would be interested in moving back to Europe instead they just target and kill people in a land they aren’t from in a nation where their numbers are dwindling. Move. It’s easier. ⁣

7. I’d REALLY like to see the tattoos of the cop on the left up close
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2022 07:06 am
Shaun King
21 mins ·
Aaron Salter, a retired police officer, was doing security at the grocery store yesterday before he was shot and killed by the white supremacist. ⁣

Aaron bravely confronted and shot the shooter multiple times, but the shooter had on full body armor. The shooter then returned fire and killed Aaron.⁣

People in the community told me that Aaron Salter was BELOVED by customers and the community, and was really a bridge for people who didn’t trust the Buffalo Police because of their frequent brutality. He had worked at the grocery store for the past 4 years after working for the Buffalo Police for 30 years straight out of high school. ⁣

He was a father of 3. Aaron’s late mother, actually worked for the same grocery store chain herself for nearly a generation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2022 08:18 am
Shaun King
·
8 words.⁣

I want to talk to you today about those 8 words I’ve highlighted in blue, OK?⁣

And I want to teach us something if that’s alright.⁣

Read them with me.⁣

“The gunman was not known to law enforcement.”⁣

I need you to understand that who is KNOWN by law enforcement and not known by them IS A POLICY CHOICE!⁣

Rooted in racism.⁣
And white privilege.⁣

They CHOOSE what zip codes they want to know.⁣

They CHOOSE who and what they want to investigate.⁣

And because police departments across America, and DA’s offices across America, CHOOSE to turn a blind eye to white supremacy, they can do an interview like this, with a straight face, and say, ⁣

“The gunman was not known to law enforcement.”⁣

This white man was STOCKING UP AN ARSENAL.⁣

He was celebrating mass shooters ALL OVER THE INTERNET.⁣

He posted his manifesto online DAYS AGO. ⁣

He was plotting and planning this intensely FOR MONTHS.⁣

He was “not known” because of distinct policy choices!!!⁣

Do you understand me???⁣

Police and prosecutors STALK Black boys for ANYTHING. ⁣

But this white supremacist isn’t known? That’s a choice you made!⁣

Witnesses now say he had been scoping out the shopping center for ALL OF LAST WEEK.⁣

He stood out as the literal only white man around. ⁣

But because it’s a choice on who is treated as suspicious and who isn’t, he got a pass. ⁣

Let a strange Black man pace around a white shopping center for a week and see what happens.
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/281447194_568401964649048_5999448702142954963_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=INcAS6BlnUsAX-kjKYW&tn=Ex67bOep1kwH6WBx&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&oh=00_AT94XknkwZLy7kadB-04M11pOwosR5rNWdi5eXth37Nu4Q&oe=62860C49
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 May, 2022 08:24 am
Shaun King
·
4 Action Steps for Buffalo⁣

1. Listen to the people and families and grassroots leaders of Buffalo on the best ways we can support them. ⁣

It all starts here. I’ve spoken to a dozen leaders from Buffalo tonight. They are grieving, hurt, and in shock, above all else. ⁣

2. We must prepare to raise funds for the families who lost their loved ones in this white supremacist attack. Kids lost parents. Homes lost incomes. And not a single family, of course, saw this coming in any way. ⁣

Families and the community will have fundraisers soon. ⁣

3. We must demand to see the actual budgets and staffing from local and state governments and the federal government in their fight against white supremacy. ⁣

We pay these taxes. ⁣
Those budgets are our money.⁣

We can no longer take their word for it when they say they are fighting and tracking white supremacy. ⁣

THEY ARE LYING.⁣

We need to see PRECISELY how much money and staffing is spent on this compared to everything else. ⁣

SHOW US. Not generically. ⁣
We want to see the line items and the staff positions and names on the budget or we don’t believe you. ⁣

This is for Biden on down to your governor and mayor and police department. ⁣

Budgets show priorities. They are moral documents.⁣

Prove it to me that this matters IN THE GOT DAMN BUDGET.⁣

4. Show us the comprehensive plan to investigate and battle and confront white supremacy. ⁣

We don’t believe you have a plan. You are winging it. ⁣

And let us at the table to make these plans. ⁣

Again from your Mayor to your police chief to your governor to your city council to your school system to the DOJ to the White House.⁣

Show us the plan. ⁣
And then we want to be at the table to tear up your plans and build them better and stronger.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 May, 2022 07:59 am
Shaun King
@shaunking
·
20m
Buffalo Police are admitting that the white supremacist still literally had the AR-15 IN HIS HANDS when they pulled up to the mass murder he had just committed. Witnesses saw it as well.

They proceeded to TALK TO HIM, professionally, and peacefully arrest him without violence.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2022 12:45 pm
Shaun King
·
I have something very, very painful to say. As it stands right now, NOTHING is going to change about white supremacy in America. Zero. Zilch. NOTHING. The bigotry, racism, and attacks are going to continue because the security apparatus of this nation does not actually take the threats seriously - with staffing and budgets and effective intervention plans.
Today I am going to begin to discuss what we can do differently, OK? I am thinking out loud so please forgive me if anything I say offends you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Shaun King
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:19:05