Thieves mistakenly steal photocopies of paintings

Reyn

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:20 pm
Thieves thought they took 3 paintings from Oslo hotel - they were photocopies
at 4:59 on August 3, 2005, EST.

OSLO, Norway (AP) - Two masked thieves stormed into an Oslo hotel Wednesday and stole what they thought were Edvard Munch paintings.

But police said they were only photocopies. The Hotel Continental, which has a large art collection, had replaced its original Munch paintings with photocopies following the theft of two Munch masterpieces from an Oslo museum last year, officials told news agency ANB. The two suspects fled in a car, which was found abandoned a few kilometres from the hotel, police said.

The photocopies, of the paintings Vampire, Self-portrait and Melancholy, were of little value, police said.

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,892 • Replies: 35
No top replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:36 pm
HAHAHHAHA! I can almost imagine those crooks looking at themselves dumbfounded!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 06:24 pm
Probably did a "Homer" and went "doh"! Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:23 pm
How delicious!!!.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 02:24 pm
I wonder if they had committed misdemeanors while attempting to commit felonies.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 01:12 am
fabulous.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:22 pm
y
That's the only expression I've seen of Celestial Justice.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 02:40 pm
Or Celestial Jaundice.

I am wondering if we've finally found a use for Gliclees on Canvas....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 06:01 pm
Lol
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 06:04 pm
Ya gotta laugh! Laughing
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 06:12 pm
After the heist they probably went out and partied, spent lots of money, bought some fine new clothes, rented a limo and dreamt all that night about life's finest riches--and woke up to a nightmare. Ha ha!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 06:19 pm
So, they actually ended up poorer than when they first started out! Justice, ya gotta love it! Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:21 am
But, ya' know something? In a few years those photocopies will probably be worth some real money to an esoteric-minded collector, just like good fakes are worth money today even when it's candidly announced that they're fakes. Can't you just see a Daddy Warbucks type of millionaire pointing to the works hanging on the walls of his dining room or parlor and telling guests: "Yes, those are the famous replicas actualy stolen from that hotel back in '05." The very fact of their theft would give them cachet.
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:03 am
That is so true Merry Andrew.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:33 pm
Great insight, Andrew. I cannot imagine it not turning out to be the case.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:43 pm
But to get that cachet the thieves would have to be caught, prosecuted and the "fakes' returned to their rightful owner. It sounds like these guys are between a rock and a hard place.

Incidently there is a "painting" in the Hartford Anthenaeum in Hartford Connecticut that has value only because it was stolen. It is a conceptual piece with the words steal this printed on it. It was, and the Anthenaeum purchased the work with the documentation of its theft.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:44 pm
It's a crazy world out there. What is one person's junk one day can become another person's collectible treasures down the road!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:55 pm
Osso looks fondly at her junk, estimating its potential...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 05:55 pm
It has been argued that a work of art is "art" because it is presented in an art venue, i.e., art museum, gallery or within a frame in a home. That means that if something is taken from an empty lot and presented in a gallery or museum as "readymade art" (found art), it IS, ipso facto, art. If that's accepted I wonder if, by that logic, a painting or statue taken from a museum and thrown into an empty lot thereby ceases to be art.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 06:03 pm
it's a lost art..

(boo!)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Thieves mistakenly steal photocopies of paintings
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/21/2024 at 09:21:05