New option besides the GED and HISET and TASC tests

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 11:14 am
Some teachers on here may disagree with me on this topic. But I find this to be a really important topic. I am someone that wants to be a writer and illustrator and 3D animator and a musician. I never went to school because there weren’t any schools in my area that were focused on the arts. I believe that the GED and HiSET tests are not effective tests for someone like me that was born premature to go into higher education. These tests are designed for someone that wants to be a lawyer or an engineer or doctor or corrupt politician. They are not designed for someone that wants to be a writer or a fashion designer or a professional musician. A new test needs to be made for people that wish to go into these fields.

Wiseowl108

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 12:46 pm
@Wiseowl108,
Since I can’t edit my post. I will have to post a reply to go more in-depth into this new test that I hope is one day made. The subjects for this new test that I am talking about should have subjects like creative writing , music, illustration, acting, faction design, calligraphy and other subjects involving the arts.
jespah

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 03:09 pm
@Wiseowl108,
How do you imagine this exam will be graded? After all, exams exist to decide if someone has mastered something or other.

Is an artist more adept if they can do perspectives well? Well, now you've just flunked Giotto. What about getting proportions right—is that a good measurement of artistic success? If it is, then I'm so sorry Senor Picasso, but you've just failed.

With all other things being more or less equal, what's better, modernism or impressionism? Does Andy Warhol lose points for being appealing to the masses? Or does he get more because it's subject to voting (which would be a horrible idea for any sort of aptitude testing. Imagine all the people who can't tell the difference between your and you're, and there, their, and they're, grading a test of language comprehensive and writing?)?

Is fashion design graded on beauty, creativity, affordability, fit, practicality, or something else? If it's better that a designer only creates clothes for models, it can't be worn by maybe 95% or more of the general population. Why/how is that better than something which anyone can wear if it's sized properly?

Does rock music get more points than classical? Do musicians and singers do better if they write their own stuff, even if it's terrible and derivative, versus covering something extremely well?

And finally, two things about the testing rather than the grading.

1) How long do you envision these tests taking? It takes me a good month to write the first draft of a novel, and then months after that to edit it. Do I have to hand in my lousy, messy first draft? Do I have time to polish it? Is it cheating if I work with a professional editor, just like every single writer since Homer should do?
2) Who's going to grade these works? Who are the experts in these fields? Successful actors probably don't have the time to watch several plays and then grade them, somehow. I can pretty much guarantee that both Yo-Yo Ma and Robert Plant also don't have the time to grade countless singers and musicians. The US Government says the number of American students who take the GED every year is in the tens of thousands.

Oh and BTW, the stuff which the GED tests, even if you don't love it, is generally kinda practical. Math is useful if you want to ever maintain proper account balances or decide if a loan offer is good to take. Language is good for communications—everyone has to be able to communicate, no matter what field they're in. Science? It helps you develop healthy skepticism, and also learn how the world works.

No matter how much you want to knit artistic tea cozies for sale on Etsy (or whatever it is that you do), you're inevitably a small business person, with many of the same needs and challenges as someone who runs a bodega.

Standardized tests are pretty bad at judging a lot of things. But at least the idea (even if it's executed poorly) is to have a levelish playing field. If you and I are graded on our answers to the exact same questions, then the comparison is a meaningful one. And my ability to translate French better than you, or your ability to do Calculus better than me isn't defined by our race, ages, genders, etc.

They're kind of uniformly unfair in a lot of ways. But at least the methodology is kinda, sorta defensible, versus dinging Mark Rothko for a lack of detail in his art. These folks show a lot more detail. Are they better?
Wiseowl108

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 03:35 pm
@jespah,
Well jespath, Who grades Ged or HiSET or TASC tests ? How do you imagine those tests be graded ? Ok so Violinists and cello players are not musicians in your silly little mind ? Have you never watched a cartoon or an animation in your boring life ?
engineer

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 03:40 pm
@Wiseowl108,
The tests you mention basically test the ability to learn and a basic subset of skills. The argument you put forth would be valid for any field. Would they test someone's ability to do physics at a graduate level? Or accounting? Or English literature? Everyone competing with you for positions has the same complaint you do. At least it is a standardized test where everyone knows what to study and has an equal chance.
jespah

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 03:49 pm
@Wiseowl108,
Hey, thanks for judging my life based on one post!

For a topic about not judging people harshly based on certain criteria, well, let's just say you might want to check the definition of the word irony.

GED etc. tests are graded with actual answer keys. For objective questions, it's done by computer. Yes, programmers and data entry people can make errors. And if there's an error in the answer key, then it affects everyone.

But we don't get into shades of gray with differential calculus. We also don't get into shades of gray with most (albeit not all) reading comprehension. If the light on the dock in The Great Gatsby is green, then it's not blue.

And yeah, some of those questions are graded by actual humans. But it's essentially a factory system. People take tests and they expect their grades within a reasonable amount of time. A regimented system is faster to grade, like it or not.

Sorry it's not what you wanted to hear.
Wiseowl108

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 03:56 pm
@jespah,
@jespah, I apologize for my harshness. But your reply sounded really closed minded.
Wiseowl108

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 08:51 pm
@engineer,
Basic subset of skills ? Most of what is on these tests are not even used for a fine arts degree 📜 or in life in general.
glitterbag

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 10:31 pm
@Wiseowl108,
You should listen to Jespah.......My Brother-in -Law taught English at Tulane University.....We asked him how well did his students do in finding jobs after graduation........His answer was "We give them an education, then it's their job to find an occupation".
Wiseowl108

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 11:18 pm
@glitterbag,
@glitterbag, I am not going to listen to someone that sounds narrow minded and came out of a factory 🏭
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 31 Mar, 2022 04:22 am
@Wiseowl108,
What have you creatively?

Have you written a novel, done a storyboard for an animated feature, composed an opera?

Any of that?

Jespah has written quite a few successful novels, she's not some wannabe fantasist with delusions of grandeur.

That's what you are, and that's why you failed the tests.
Wiseowl108

Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:03 am
@izzythepush,
First of all @izzythepush, I have not even taken these test because they are so darn difficult ! I have memory problems due to being born premature ! Is it my fault that I have an underdeveloped brain and that I was born too darn early you closed minded jackass ?!
izzythepush

Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:11 am
@Wiseowl108,
I thought you were some awesome, writer, musician and artist.

Wiseowl108

Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:17 am
@izzythepush,
“Wants” to be. Can you not read well enough due to your cockiness ?
izzythepush

Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:22 am
@Wiseowl108,
Well you've learned a life lesson early on.

You can't always get what you want.

And if you carry on being so thoroughly repulsive to people trying to help you you'll be lucky to get anything at all.
Wiseowl108

Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:32 am
@izzythepush,
You need to take a good look at yourself in a mirror. You’re the one that’s been repulsive with your narrow mindedness and cockiness !
izzythepush

Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:37 am
@Wiseowl108,
That's why people are voting my posts up and yours down.

You came on here and were nasty from the off.

Jespah tried to help you and you treated her like ****.

Carry on like that and see how far you get.
engineer

Thu 31 Mar, 2022 08:46 am
@Wiseowl108,
These tests provide a basic measure of how you would perform in an advanced program. Regardless of the reason, if you find these tests so hard that you fear to even try to study for them, you are likely going to be very challenged in pursuing a course of study in these programs. You can be a great violinist (to pick one example) without getting a degree in violin performance, but if you do want that degree, you are going to have to be able to study history, music theory (which is fairly mathematical), memorize significant portions of music and write papers. Rather than assume you can't take these tests, you could buy a prep book at most bookstores for a reasonable fee that could help you prepare and give you a taste of what the challenge really is.
0 Replies

Wiseowl108

Thu 31 Mar, 2022 09:41 am
@izzythepush,
Up votes mean absolutely nothing to me as the mean a lot to you.
She shouldn’t have come here sounding cocky to begin with.
izzythepush

Thu 31 Mar, 2022 09:42 am
@Wiseowl108,
The only one being cocky is you.

You have grandiose plans with nothing to back it up.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » New option besides the GED and HISET and TASC tests
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 10:25:37